PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Woodturning and Finishing Vid

Mulgabill
23rd May 2012, 10:59 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but this is an enlightening video.
No need for a 2HP EVS lathe here. Turned wood lacquered furniture of Sankheda - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=tsTC_4B7V70)

WOODbTURNER
23rd May 2012, 11:17 AM
So much for our fancy tools and flash lathes!

tdrumnut
23rd May 2012, 03:06 PM
I have often wondered what other uses our feet had.

dr4g0nfly
23rd May 2012, 07:07 PM
Always interesting to see other cultures and how they do things that we do. I'm sure there are turners like us in India but these guy's were working for a living, (peace rates?) making the same thing over and over and so had become very skilled at repetitive work. Again something most of us prefer to shy away from.

And it was not just the speed of turning, the application of the painted lines on the work was fast and accurate as well.

At one stage it looked like Aluminium paint (prepared to be wrong) was applied and then dried over a small fire, then a wax/resin was applied to make it appear gold. Has anyone any idea what it was that was applied?

Thanks for finding this and posting it.

mimpi
24th May 2012, 12:28 PM
I was also impressed at the speed and accuracy of his decorations especially. I believe they used melted down tin as the undercoat to give it that silver color.

not sure what the yellow came from a chunk of wax like material in his hand?

orraloon
24th May 2012, 08:08 PM
It is so good to watch masters of a craft work. They make it look so easy. The bit that really impressed was the guy painting that crossover pattern. Indexing who needs it!
Regards
John

countstefan
26th May 2012, 10:26 PM
Wish I had the toe dexterity of those folk:D:D