PDA

View Full Version : Some threaded boxes

powderpost
24th May 2012, 01:07 PM
Been doing some thread chasing lately, here is a sample of some of the threaded boxes created in the last couple of weeks.

Box 1 W.A. Marri
Box 2 Gidgee
Box3 W.A. Rasberry Jam
Box 4 Ebony
Box 5 Dead Finish

The marri was only fair to thread. All the rest were very good. The biggest box is 95mm high and the largest diameter was 55mm. All were sanded to 1200# and finished with Ubeaut Glow.
Jim

tea lady
24th May 2012, 01:54 PM
What? Practising? :doh::D

Waiting in anticipation for the thread chasing lessons when you come down.:cool:

starr
24th May 2012, 02:18 PM
Very nice.

Can you reveal the secret of the interesting overlapping squares on two of the tops?

oldsaundy
24th May 2012, 03:19 PM
Very nice work. Do you use a set of chasers or do you have one of the new uni chasers? I am a bit curious about those squares too.

artme
24th May 2012, 03:24 PM
All good stuph!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love the lid treatments, or should I say adornmentS. Finishing is great!!:)

turnerted
24th May 2012, 03:25 PM
Great work Jim
Ted

TTIT
24th May 2012, 04:48 PM
Been doing some thread chasing lately, here is a sample of some of the threaded boxes created in the last couple of weeks...............Not gonna let me catch up are you :no:. Nice looking boxes Jim :2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
24th May 2012, 05:13 PM
Can you reveal the secret of the interesting overlapping squares on two of the tops?
Thanks for the nice comments. The threads were cut using a 20 tpi hand held thread chaser. Takes a little getting used to but a very satisfying process.
The "overlapping square" pattern on the tops is a pattern that took me 10 minutes to design and a year to work out how to do it. Not a process that easily lends itself to words. It is a multi stage process requiring very accurate machining. I think I will leave it at that. Next time I make a batch I will take some photos of the process.

Vern all I can say is :;:D:D

Jim

wheelinround
24th May 2012, 05:29 PM
Jim nice boxes simle basic design but the enhancements give them a real lift.

I am however a bit concerend over the Swaztica one.........:;

Scott
24th May 2012, 05:30 PM
Some nice work there, especially the desert timbers. Simple and effective.

hughie
24th May 2012, 05:55 PM
Nice set of boxes Jim. :2tsup: well done.

Ruddy
24th May 2012, 06:22 PM
Very impressive indeed.

dr4g0nfly
25th May 2012, 07:09 AM
A lovely collection of boxes, and a very good finish on them. Better yet, you've managed to get the grain to align when they are done up.

And if that's practising :C:C

Well done :2tsup:

Pagie
25th May 2012, 09:46 AM
Why are they called boxes, should they not be called jars?

joevan
25th May 2012, 09:59 AM
Very nice work. You put me to shame because I have had thread chasers for a couple of years and have practiced a bit but have never done anything real. The chasers were given to me by a master of this art from Venlo in Holland.

Regards,
Joe v K

Ad de Crom
25th May 2012, 06:40 PM
Nice boxes Jim, simple form of exactly how a box with lid should look like.
A nice extra is the decoration on the lid in some cases. ( Jim's secret??)
A nice collection.
Ad :2tsup:

powderpost
25th May 2012, 08:47 PM
A nice extra is the decoration on the lid in some cases. ( Jim's secret??)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Ad, the decoration on the lid of some is not so much a secret, but difficult to explain. I can, if needed, do a wip on them, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen... :)
Jim

Ad de Crom
26th May 2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Ad, the decoration on the lid of some is not so much a secret, but difficult to explain. I can, if needed, do a wip on them, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen... :)
Jim
Jim, not so a bad idea making a story, of how you did it.
From the other hand not so bad idea, to figure it out by myself, explaining by you is indeed difficult I'm afraid.

thompy
31st May 2012, 10:18 PM
The "overlapping square" pattern on the tops is a pattern that took me 10 minutes to design and a year to work out how to do it.

Dangit, Jim, lol. i saw these while looking specifically for more of your work and little did i realise that i'd get a mental puzzle like this..

On the surface i think i know, scratch that, i can think of too many ways to try it, and i've eliminated a few ways already, gives me something to ponder at work, and i think the missus appreciates the silences of me about the house in a "woodland" daze, :U.

So from a purely "here's something to ponder" point, thank you.

Neal.

Grumpy John
1st June 2012, 07:55 AM
Very noice Jim, are you planning on bringing them with you for the show & tell on the 16th. (I certainly hope so).

powderpost
1st June 2012, 09:50 PM
Very noice Jim, are you planning on bringing them with you for the show & tell on the 16th. (I certainly hope so).
I can bring some of them with me, but I do have a problem with room..:)
Jim

powderpost
1st June 2012, 09:53 PM
Dangit, Jim, lol. i saw these while looking specifically for more of your work andlittle did i realise that i'd get a mental puzzle like this..

So from a purely "here's something to ponder" point, thank you.

Neal.
Let me know when you have that one wired, I have some more that haven't been aired yet. :U
Jim

thompy
2nd June 2012, 12:28 AM
Awesome Jim, please, send me a PM or something, i'd love to collaborate and or learn, i've been dissasembling works in mental 3D. i seem to get caught on kerfs/widths allowances, and just on this project alone wondering if it could be done in circular form (i think it could), it would take some machining and grain changes though.

As mentioned before i'd love to get further into laminated turning, to date i'm at a bowl 20 years ago, and a celtic cross pen and just recently the "Pladiowl" (platter/dished/bowl). Is there anything i can get into reading wise to further develop skills? that you'd recommend?

i've seen some "missing" segent turning, intersting stuff, and i might get the courage to try it out, and complete segmented stuff (the accuracy of this stuff in wood scares me a little), but not a lot on pure laminated forms, apart from a few photo's and the odd how to here and there.

I have at present a makita drop saw (not compound10"), a WL 900 lathe, basic lathe tool set (geared a lot to pen turning), very little in the way of sharpening, a very nice new drill press (floor mount pedestal) and a 17" bandsaw (3/6/12 mm blades).

I think i need to develop more skill / tooling on hollower forms, firstly, but i'm not sure.

perhaps i need to do more and think on it less and see where it takes me.

Neal.

powderpost
2nd June 2012, 08:42 PM
p.m. sent Neal.
Jim