PDA

View Full Version : Weekend at the Gold Coast Woodturners

Swino
27th May 2012, 07:47 PM
Gold Coast Woodturners were lucky enough to have come along to the Club on several occasions over the past week since the Brissy Woodshow finished.

Tuesday and Thursday nights were the preliminary visits to see how our classes are run and to correct all of our mistakes.

Friday was the start of official proceedings with a day dedicated to the Tutors of the club. We spent the day going over the basics (we needed it) and how to teach what we were learning. I'm sure over the coming months all the Tutors will share their now improved skills with other club members.

Saturday was dedicated to the beginners of the Club and focused on learning the basic spindle turning techniques. All of the attendees all boasted of their improved confidence with the Skew. The added bonus was that fixed all of the Club's skews - from something that wouldn't cut butter to peeling cuts.

Sunday was a day for the more experienced turners of the club. Until the morning none of the attendees knew what was coming. I must admit I was afraid that some might just pack up an walk out. The project for the day was the trembleur. First task before turning on the lathe was to make a string steady for every lathe. A process line quickly formed and the Steadies were knocked up in no time. The rest of the day was taken up first by turning a morse taper to drive the piece and then turning the Trembleur inch by inch. There were no plans in relation to design. Mine was based around turning projects (spot the honey dipper, mushroom and sad looking pawn). Several of us had breakages along the way. Mine unfortunately snapped while parting it off the lathe :( but it ended up with 's help gluing fairly successfully. We all left the day with improved confidence and an eagerness to put another stick in the lathe and have another go.

Swino
27th May 2012, 07:50 PM
More photos.

Cliff Rogers
27th May 2012, 07:58 PM
:2tsup:

gawdelpus
27th May 2012, 08:21 PM
Remarkable stuff , I can only see this with a sense of awe :) well done everybody :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: cheers ~ John

dai sensei
27th May 2012, 08:40 PM
Great day had by all :2tsup: Good food, good instructor, and so much to learn :-

Unfortunately not all of us were successful in completing the task :- Nothing worse than half way home and you hear that little tinkle and you only have half your original piece. The timbers were Rock Maple and Tassie Oak, just another one of the many challenges :doh:

Safe drive home mate, thanks again

dr4g0nfly
28th May 2012, 07:51 AM
Guess you had a good time and excellent opportunities to expand your skills,

well done

Swino
28th May 2012, 01:12 PM
Now that I'm not so tired I thought I would expand on my previous posts...

I should mention that performed a great demo on how to mount a bowl on a chuck.....and also how to remove the bowl without turning off the lathe :p He just has to master where the bowl lands when removed.

Neil demonstrated the finer points of the dangers of using CA to firm up the fit of the timber in the morse taper - I still having ringing in my ears his protests of "I only used two drops" :doh:

Overall it was a fantastic weekend with everyone of all skill levels going away with improved skills.

tea lady
28th May 2012, 02:10 PM
Cool! :2tsup: See! He can do little things too.:U

issatree
28th May 2012, 09:41 PM
Hi to all,
Looks like you all had a Great Time.

So what String was used.
What speed on the Lathe.
Did the String burn the Wood.
I take it, the block of Ply was Bolted underneath the Lathe.

dai sensei
28th May 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi to all,
Looks like you all had a Great Time.

So what String was used. Waxed 1mm cord
What speed on the Lathe. Normal, for me fast
Did the String burn the Wood. No, wax lubricates it
I take it, the block of Ply was Bolted underneath the Lathe. Yes

...Neil demonstrated the finer points of the dangers of using CA to firm up the fit of the timber in the morse taper - I still having ringing in my ears his protests of "I only used two drops" :doh:

:seald::compress::blond:

Cliff Rogers
28th May 2012, 10:17 PM
Cool! :2tsup: See! He can do little things too.:U
Like getting the chuck to spit the bowl? :think: :D

issatree
29th May 2012, 02:40 AM
Hi Neil,
Thanks for that, & I will have to have a go.

Swino
29th May 2012, 09:11 AM
The String is available from Saddlery Supply Stores.

tea lady
29th May 2012, 01:36 PM
Like getting the chuck to spit the bowl? :think: :DHe taught me everything I know.:D

gawdelpus
29th May 2012, 02:07 PM
It Takes a very skilled and courageous demonstrator to deliberately show the pitfalls of the craft :; cheers ~ John

RETIRED
29th May 2012, 10:38 PM
Ah well, home again and back to work in the cold.

Thank you to all who made my stay on the "Gold Coast " as enjoyable as ever.:D Perfect weather all week.

From some of the looks on Sunday morning I thought I may have been tarred and feathered and run out on a rail.:oo:

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2012, 10:42 PM
.... I thought I may have been tarred and feathered and run out on a rail.:oo:
Yer safe.... they need all that tar for roads & there aren't enough chooks in QLD for the feathers required for that contract. :D

A Duke
29th May 2012, 10:46 PM
They could use CA and curlies.

tea lady
29th May 2012, 11:47 PM
They could use CA and curlies.and stick all the busted trembleurs in his ..... beard.:p:D