PDA

View Full Version : virtual wood turning

tea lady
28th May 2012, 05:34 PM
Don't know what type of chisel they are useing but intresting. Prolly won't work properly unless you are using google crome. :shrug:

Chrome Experiments - "Lathe Machine" by Einar Öberg (http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/lathe-machine/?f=)

NCArcher
28th May 2012, 06:12 PM
Worked ok for me in Firefox 12.0. A bit jumpy but not bad.

dabbler
28th May 2012, 06:20 PM
Very interesting find TL.

I used to specialize in school-based IT (not teaching but admin etc). One place I worked about 12 yrs ago used a simplistic profile generator simulating spindle work it in classwork. After a few years, staff and curriculum changed and the software was dropped. When I started turning, I asked a long-serving staff member but he could barely recall it let alone remember the name.

Your find is much better even if I do have to sell my soul to Google.

But watching ain't doin' and doin' is more fun.

hughie
28th May 2012, 06:47 PM
some guys have just too much spare time :)

tea lady
28th May 2012, 06:51 PM
I reckon a turning tutorial could be done on the wii. :think: You know how it has recognition of the hand angle and stuff. :U

nalmo
28th May 2012, 08:54 PM
Worked fine for me (Chrome) apart from not being able to part off completely.

BamBam53
28th May 2012, 09:13 PM
It does not like internet explorer but chrome works.

I have an old piece of software called MicroLathe. It's about twenty years old and was written for Windows 3.1 but still works on later versions of Windows.

MicroLathe is very crude compared to the Lathe Machine but you can create bowls like the picture attached.

cookie48
28th May 2012, 09:32 PM
my comp is like me at present. Nothin works damn it. Rekon it would be good tho.

dabbler
28th May 2012, 10:19 PM
I have an old piece of software called MicroLathe. It's about twenty years old and was written for Windows 3.1 but still works on later versions of Windows.

MicroLathe is very crude compared to the Lathe Machine but you can create bowls like the picture attached.

That sounds like the name of the one I remember (I think). Never saw it do bowls but that could just be the way they used at the time. Now I have a name I can search my archives.

Paul39
29th May 2012, 04:01 AM
BAH! Get up from the computer and go out to the shed.

dr4g0nfly
29th May 2012, 06:22 AM
I'm nearly as good with my own lathe as I am the virtual one, I can make a mess of the wood on both!

tea lady
29th May 2012, 01:34 PM
BAH! Get up from the computer and go out to the shed.Yes I know.:rolleyes: its cold.

chrisb691
29th May 2012, 02:09 PM
I couldn't keep the wood rotaing, everytime I tried to move the chisel the wood stopped. Probably just as well, I would only have had catches anyway. :D

hughie
29th May 2012, 06:02 PM
[Yes I know.:rolleyes: its cold

Here you go this will do the job and kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

wheelinround
29th May 2012, 06:19 PM
Not bad TL a good play tool BUT I am not showing the LOML as I would soon not have wood, lathe or other tools as i could work all day long and not make a mess, noise or use smelly finishes.:;