PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Identify The Timber thread

Grumpy John
29th May 2012, 03:24 PM
I've recently aquired a stash of logs that I was told were "a rare species of Pine". After collecting said timber and cutting up for bowl blanks I sent a few photos to Vern (TTIT) to give his opinion. First response was "it's definately not pine", most likely casuarina cunninghamiana River Oak/River Sheoak. I'm not doubting Vern, but he was not 100% sure because of the colour of the timber.
Today I cut up a piece on the table saw and took some photo's of it freshly cut, hopefully the colour is now more accurate.

Quite a tall tree.

Small seed pods. The measurements are millimetres not inches.

Bark ranges from relatively smooth to quite rough.
210123 210124

Needle like leaves.

All six sides of the freshly cut piece 125mm x 75mm x 35mm. The cut on the second photo was done on the bandsaw, hence the ripples. All the othe cuts were made on the table saw.
210126 210127 210128 210129 210130 210131

Scott
29th May 2012, 04:20 PM
Looks like some sort of pine, maybe even a Cedar. What does it smell like?

fozz
29th May 2012, 05:15 PM
Looks very much like common garden variety sheoak or casuarina to me. They make great bonsai by the way.

turnerted
29th May 2012, 05:17 PM
A sheoke of some type.
Ted

Toymaker Len
29th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Yep, cassuarina. Make sure you seal the ends quickly and dry it very slowly preferably cut into smaller sections as it is a b.. to dry. Or maybe turn it wet then treat with detergent or microwave it.

tea lady
29th May 2012, 06:10 PM
Looks like some sort of pine, maybe even a Cedar. What does it smell like?Nah! Macro short of the leaves don't show very well, but long "spines" are kind of segmented along their length. :shrug:

Here is a link to Casuarina cunninghamiana (http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Casuarina+cunninghamiana).I don't think it looks quite right. :think: Seed pods too big.Although maybe they are just not mature. :shrug:

wheelinround
29th May 2012, 06:24 PM
Looks like most have it John but here another link Casuarina equisetifolia, Casuarina muricata, Australian Pine, Ironwood, Horsetail - TopTropicals.com (http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?number=5&find=Casuarinaceae&imagesonly=1)

dai sensei
29th May 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm with TTIT, Casuarina River Oak/River Sheoak.

powderpost
29th May 2012, 08:28 PM
Definitely one of the casuarinas. There is at least ten different species, each with different habitats.
Jim

jimbur
29th May 2012, 08:52 PM
Those medullary rays do look like casuarina.
Cheers,
JIm

mkypenturner
29th May 2012, 09:33 PM
thats a casuriana for sure , the seed pod is the same as on the ones growing in the sand dunes at my local beach , many years ago had a go on a slip'n'slide down a hill without a shirt on got a checkered pattern all down my chest :((

Scott
29th May 2012, 09:34 PM
Looks like some sort of pine, maybe even a Cedar. What does it smell like?

Hehe, you can tell I'm a Mexican hey?

tea lady
29th May 2012, 11:22 PM
Hehe, you can tell I'm a Mexican hey?:shrug: Well it is sometimes called "Australian pine". :U

brendan stemp
30th May 2012, 01:57 PM
Almost surely Casurina Obesa. Indigenous to a small area in NW Vic particularly around Mt Arapiles. I know this because I was given one to cut down and use. Turns very well. Colour a bit disappointing. Moves a lot when drying unlike other casurinas.

jimbur
30th May 2012, 02:16 PM
Almost surely Casurina Obesa. Indigenous to a small area in NW Vic particularly around Mt Arapiles. I know this because I was given one to cut down and use. Turns very well. Colour a bit disappointing. Moves a lot when drying unlike other casurinas.
Which side of the mountain?:D Couldn't resist that.
Cheers,
Jim

tea lady
30th May 2012, 06:11 PM
Prolly another local species that only grows at the top of western port bay. Only 6........ 5 left.:rolleyes::U

mick61
31st May 2012, 03:56 PM
in my costermons native trees the closest match is casuarina littoralis BLACK SHE OAK
Mick.:D

bowl-basher
31st May 2012, 06:37 PM
Looks very much like common garden variety sheoak or casuarina to me. They make great bonsai by the way.

:iagree::iagree:

Paul39
2nd June 2012, 09:43 AM
. Or maybe turn it wet then treat with detergent or microwave it.

I have had good luck with prone to split timber by rough turning while it is still soppy wet, immediately sinking in 1/2 detergent - 1/2 water for a week or two. I drain & rinse with clear water over the vat.

I let the surface dry then put it into the microwave and heat until it foams and / or steams, keeping an eye on the time. Open the door and let it air out. Repeat as soon as it cools a bit, or if in no hurry, when you think of it.

After several microwave sessions you can set it aside for weeks or months, then finish.

At first I would wrap the turning in several layers of newspaper and leave it in that for the whole microwaving and drying process. I tried a few pieces without wrapping and it did not seem to make a difference as to cracking.

If your house mate objects to cooking timber, buy a new one and take the old one to the shed, or get a cheap ugly one at a flea market or used appliance place. I have picked up a working one off the curb a time or two on trash day.

Even a dead one painted black and set in the sun will dry a rough turning.