PDA

View Full Version : thicknesser

sinjin1111
27th February 2005, 08:54 AM
Hi guys i have last week put away one of the new 15' carba tec thicknessers.
But i really wanted the 20". As the extra throat depth i think would be great in the long run. Carbatec assures me the new 15' has now got the same throat depth ie 8" Anyway what i would like to know is anyone running the 20' at home on single phase and are they having probs planing wide boards. Is the 3ph enough even for fine cuts. I will probably stick with the 15' but if somone convinces me i will up it to the 20'.
Sinjin

gatiep
27th February 2005, 12:27 PM
Sinjin,

You seem to hape your feet, inches, phases and horsepower abbreviations mixed up a bit. LOL.

There are 2 models of the 15" planers at Carbatec. The CTJ-680, has a 3 hp motor, 3 blade planer block and has 165 mm depth of cut.This is the one with the motor mounted on top. The CTj-381 has the same specs as the 680 but has 200 mm depth of cut and motor mounted in the base. It looks identical to the 20" planer. The 20" planer, CTJ-508 comes with a 3 hp single phase motor or 5 hp 3 phase motor and it has 4 blades in the cutter block. Both motor sizes work satisfactorily and have 200 mm depth of cut.

I hope this answers your question.

:)

sinjin1111
27th February 2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Joe, the machine i have put away is the new 15". The only real advantage i can see with the 20" is it has a larger cutter block 4 blades instead of 3.

Mass of the 20" machine is just about double and has extra width. I think the 15" looks a great machine just wish they had put the larger dia. cutter block like the 20". Anyway i'l probably stay with it . i purchased one of the long bed 8' bussers a few months ago.....if only it was a foot longer...lol
Cheers Sinjin