PDA

View Full Version : new bandsaw

thompy
29th May 2012, 07:26 PM
Its not quite finished (the foot), still undescided to keep it or not? I've not gotten myself a set of cole jaws yet, thought i'd share this. It's been 20 odd years since my last lamination project, and for my birthday this year i bought a bandsaw, again something i hadn't used or owned in 20 years.

I unpacked it, set it up, and had a play, purchased it originally to enhance my pen turning, however i'm looking at overall turning and more diverse work in my rebeginning my hobby. My first attempt at a bandsaw box is woefull (and i wont post it lol.) but i had a go.

This piece however i rekon turned out ok, what do you guys think?

Camphor outers (the original rounded blank), Norfolk Pine inner, with red cedar veneers i cut, sanded to #800, EEE and glowed it. Almost too shallow to call it a bowl, and almost too dished to call it a plate, its odd.

Neal.

PS: looking for other projects i can utilise the new bandsaw with too so if anyone has some idea's i'd love to hear em.

hughie
29th May 2012, 08:05 PM
Looks good to me, nice clean glue lines, good shape and finish,its a keeper. :2tsup:

vk4
29th May 2012, 08:06 PM
You haven't lost your touch , Very nice piece and excellent workmanship.

Jeff
vk4

smiife
29th May 2012, 08:41 PM
hi neal,
i don't think it's odd,i like it ,just call it a ''plowl''
and keep the foot ,looks good well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

mkypenturner
29th May 2012, 09:38 PM
wow very neat :2tsup: i thought nice camphor bowl then read its 3 timbers in it :oo: made me have another closer look

orraloon
29th May 2012, 09:53 PM
At first glance it looked natural. A good choice of grain patterns.:2tsup:

powderpost
30th May 2012, 10:30 PM
You beauty, another laminator... Looks pretty good from here Neal, call it what you want, it is still a nice job. Nice simple, clean lines. :2tsup:
Jim

thompy
30th May 2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys, and Jim if i ever get near your league i'd be one happy bloke, i've seen some of your work. I'd love to get deeper into laminated turning.

Neal.

dr4g0nfly
31st May 2012, 07:38 AM
I like the effect of the grain going in different directions it sort of pulls your eyes away from the centre (most bowl forms have the rings in the centre or grain running through).

As for what to call it, ask the lady in your life, beautiful should figure in the description somewhere and I'm quite sure she'll find the perfect use for it as well.

Paul39
1st June 2012, 02:08 AM
It is beautiful. If it is going to be an art piece, keep the foot. If a practical piece - candy dish, nut dish - make it more stable.

Nice work!

vtbao
4th June 2012, 10:00 PM
Very nice. I had few similar one, my wife used for her dry roses and my dad stored phone and keys

Skewturn
4th June 2012, 11:02 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:I like it. I bet you cant wait to get back on the bandsaw and lathe.
Cheers Skewturn