PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric chuk

Ricardo292
1st June 2012, 12:46 PM
HI all, could anyone know the brand of a eccentric chuck showing in youtube video.
EXMK-3.1.avi Teil 1 - YouTube

Thanks.

:?:?:?:?

Jim Carroll
1st June 2012, 01:21 PM
I would say he has built that one himself.

A close one would be the Escoulan chuck (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/-vicmarc-escoulen-eccentric-chuck-3) made by vicmarc.

Ricardo292
1st June 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks, but it doesn't look like home made, or maybe is, i don't know. the one i like is the scoulen, but it's expensive, to much for me anyway.:no::no::no::no:

Jim Carroll
1st June 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks, but it doesn't look like home made, or maybe is, i don't know. the one i like is the scoulen, but it's expensive, to much for me anyway.:no::no::no::no:

You would be amazed at some othe the tools guys make and the quality of work done to make them is sometimes far superior than what can be bought.

Ricardo292
1st June 2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks Jim, and yep, some people make very nice tools.:2tsup:
Cheers. :o:o:o

aussiepens
1st June 2012, 08:54 PM
Have a look at the vermec multi centre chuck designed by Guilio Marcolongo.
It would do the same thing.

Chucks & Accessories (http://www.vermec.com/id29.html)

John

Ricardo292
1st June 2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks .John.

Regards.

FullBurl
6th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Hi Jim, speaking of home made tools, I made a very nice tool rest that is 15 inches long using a piece of 25.4mm round bar and some 50 x 10 mm flat bar, and another 10 inches long to hollow out a vessel, and the whole lot came to $22 from the hardware store. Much better than $87 and $65 from vicmarc (who don't keep stock anyway). Just thought some of the newer members might start to make their own tools. It's much more gratifying to know you have made your own things. Cheers. Ian

i

Ricardo292
7th June 2012, 12:06 AM
Yes, I can't agree more with you Ian and make sence to me, people fill proud doing they own tools. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Rick.

Jim Carroll
7th June 2012, 10:26 AM
Hi Jim, speaking of home made tools, I made a very nice tool rest that is 15 inches long using a piece of 25.4mm round bar and some 50 x 10 mm flat bar, and another 10 inches long to hollow out a vessel, and the whole lot came to $22 from the hardware store. Much better than $87 and $65 from vicmarc (who don't keep stock anyway). Just thought some of the newer members might start to make their own tools. It's much more gratifying to know you have made your own things. Cheers. Ian

i
Ian there is certainly a place for making your own tools and gadgets, you have to remember that not all woodies have the metal working skills and equipment to do this .

The chuck the guy is using has probably gone through many adaptions to get to where it is now and that is what you are paying for when you buy one of the shelf, all the unpaid R&D hours and wasted materials. I will bet he has a better version in his head when he gets around to it.

Ricardo292
7th June 2012, 12:51 PM
Ian there is certainly a place for making your own tools and gadgets, you have to remember that not all woodies have the metal working skills and equipment to do this .

The chuck the guy is using has probably gone through many adaptions to get to where it is now and that is what you are paying for when you buy one of the shelf, all the unpaid R&D hours and wasted materials. I will bet he has a better version in his head when he gets around to it.

Hi Jim, I'm agree with you too, but even so some people expend more money and a lot of time doing it and I think that they are doing it for the joy and the filling saying I DID IT !!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Kind regards
Rick.:):):)

joevan
7th June 2012, 06:08 PM
Hello Ricardo,
As it seems the chuck is made comercially in Germany and one should be able to get it from a web site called "www.spruehshop.de" . It looks very simular to a chuck Cliff Walsh did make at one time. "Sturdee" has made a simular chuck based on an American design.
Regards,
Joe v K.

Ricardo292
7th June 2012, 10:25 PM
Hello Ricardo,
As it seems the chuck is made comercially in Germany and one should be able to get it from a web site called "www.spruehshop.de" . It looks very simular to a chuck Cliff Walsh did make at one time. "Sturdee" has made a simular chuck based on an American design.
Regards,
Joe v K.

Hi Joe
I did see that web www.spruehshop.de (http://www.spruehshop.de/) but is all in german, :(( i couldn't find the chuck there, I'll try to find the Sturdee some how. or maybe try to make one myself at home and if i can get the plans for one my daughter's father in law is a metal turner and a good one, he is retired now thinking to buy one for himself so he will make one for me, I hope :?:?:?.
Thanks anyway
Reagards Rick.

Sturdee
7th June 2012, 10:57 PM
I'll try to find the Sturdee some how.

Hi Rick, the eccentric chuck of mine that Joe is referring to is actually a bought one, being the Pendant Mandrel with a 2MT arbou (http://www.woodnworkshop.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=2023)r from WoodnWorkshop.

It's a lovely piece of equipment and well worth getting. I use it a fair bit, especially when making pendants but I have been practising for other ofset turnings.

Peter.

PS just sent as I received your pm.

Ricardo292
8th June 2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks i'll check that one, there is a wb to look for it ?

Sturdee
8th June 2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks i'll check that one, there is a wb to look for it ?

Yes, just click on the underlined link in my post. :U

Peter.

Ricardo292
8th June 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Peter.
Cheers.