PDA

View Full Version : My new threading Jig

dai sensei
2nd June 2012, 06:58 PM
This has been in fabrication for quite a while, in fact since I first watched Bonnie Klein at Turnfest (2009 or 2010?), but made easier now I have a metal lathe. All the metal lathe work was under Gawdelpus John's guidance :wink:

I started by cutting the threaded shaft, 1"x8 from some 30mm stock, with a 1"x10 thread at the other end to accept a chuck adaptor (my lathe cannot do the 30mmx3.5 thread i need for my chucks). The knob at the end is a bought one, fitted to a 1/4" thread.

The threaded shaft passes through an aluminium block, faced off square and to size on the lathe, then drilled and tapped to suit. Much better than my original cast resin one. It also has grub screws over brass V inserts to keep the shaft true. The aluminium block is also sized so that it suits my JET, but by simply by inverting it, it suits my Woodfast.

The block is fixed to a two-way slide table, from McJing, fixed in turn to the lathe bed with T-nuts/plates. They are rectangular, so they fit one way for the JET, and turned 90 degrees for the Woodfast.

I will put it to the test tomorrow hopefully :rolleyes:. Turned out a bit bigger than Bonnie's :-

Cheers

Scott
2nd June 2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for showing this Neil, great use of the wood lathe here. Your setup for this has given me a couple of ideas, especially how the slide table is used. How far is the travel x & y on the table?

dai sensei
2nd June 2012, 10:27 PM
How far is the travel x & y on the table?

It is the KT140 with 100x230 movement, see McJING Tools Online (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=408)

Scott
2nd June 2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks Neil :)

dogcatcher
3rd June 2012, 03:29 AM
That is a nice looking set up.

gawdelpus
3rd June 2012, 09:10 AM
Well done Neil :) I look forward to seeing this in action ,as we know the proof is in the pudding hehe ! cheers ~ John :2tsup:

TTIT
4th June 2012, 10:16 AM
My old man did a similar thing once - he used a router in his 'concept' Rose engine to cut threads on the hundreds of salt & pepper shakers he made - I still have the 2-bladed router bit shaped like your cutter from it.

How do you rate the build of the KT140 Neil? - I've often thought it would be a handy item at times :shrug:

dai sensei
4th June 2012, 07:49 PM
How do you rate the build of the KT140 Neil? - I've often thought it would be a handy item at times :shrug:

So far so good, it really is a big solid piece of equipment at ~20kgs, certainly a lot better than the two-way compound slide vice I have on the drill table. I have plans for may other uses for it.

Wood Nut
4th June 2012, 08:16 PM
:BBrilliant. I saw Bonnie Klein's jig at Turnfest this year but I guess yours is a bit cheaper. Well done

WOODbTURNER
4th June 2012, 08:54 PM
Check out this item on Ebay- Item 290722228259. He will make them to fit any size post and our 30x10 system. A mate got one and he says its simple and well worth the price.

wheelinround
4th June 2012, 09:10 PM
Simple and great idea :2tsup: so easy to reverse to do internal and external parts just by use of the cross slide.

Although now you have a metal lathe why didn't you just use that:roll:

dai sensei
5th June 2012, 11:15 PM
Had to make some mods after taking it for a test run on the weekend. I did the rod thread on the metal lathe, but used a tap for the female as it was easier. Unfortunately I made the rod whitworth, the tap was UNC :doh:. I made a few mods to make the threads match and thought with the brass thread guides would be Ok. They did work, but there was just too much slop in the thread and they had to be very tight.

So John helped me install a bearing at either end, to support the rod, the thread was then only there to provide cutting guide. We slimmed the rod down to 24mm to give a good flat to seat the nearing and fit the 24mm bearing. Unfortunately I read the size wrong, they are 25 not 24mm ID, so then had to turn bronze shims to fit :-

The bearings are housed half into the Al block, half in a rebated housing made from some Al plate.

All good now, solid as a rock :U

Simple and great idea :2tsup: so easy to reverse to do internal and external parts just by use of the cross slide.

Although now you have a metal lathe why didn't you just use that:roll:

Metal lathe is not mobile like woodfast, nor swing size of JET.

RETIRED
6th June 2012, 08:59 AM
We slimed the rod down to 24mm Ghost busting?:D

dai sensei
6th June 2012, 01:03 PM
Another pic of the modified jig

Ghost busting?:D

oops :U

Picko
6th June 2012, 03:13 PM
Looks good Neil. Can't wait to see some product.
Where did you get your cutter? I tried to find one a while back and did no good.

Cheers John

dai sensei
6th June 2012, 08:01 PM
Ebay 3/4" 60 DEGREE INCLUDED ANGLE DOUBLE ANGLE CUTTER eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300632022453&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:1123#ht_783wt_94)

Picko
7th June 2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks Neil