PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Bearing DVR XP Update

bill09
2nd June 2012, 07:56 PM
:C Good news and BAD news.. THANKS to members kind advice have a replacement new QUIET head .:)..Bad news is Quill or Morse taper in Quill misaligned or bored slightly off cente ..Feel it could also be Quill axis .Difference hard up is about only a bee's [1.32mm] but a 8mm bit in a jacobs chuck with the quill extended 75mm just scrapes inside the spindle at seven o'clock ..tried two jacobs .three spurs and four centes ,all of which centre on my little woodfast and a QWS MC1218..Any suggesstions on how to fix ..bedding is fine .bolt tension fine.swivel head detente clicked in.. headstock locking bar tightened.. Would be impossible to bore a hole in the centre of a piece as it is..Another 2hr trip to Carbatec ??? Would like to fix myself if possible ..Appreciate feedback

vk4
2nd June 2012, 09:10 PM
sounds to me as if the shaft is off center to the axis of the lathe,
Have you turned a flat disc on the lathe , then bring the tailstock up to it with a live center installed, to see if the center scribes a point or a circle.

If you get a circle then the main shaft is defiantly off center.

Either way I really think that you are in for another trip to Carba Tec.

Jeff

nz_carver
3rd June 2012, 12:33 AM
I 2nd that I'd take it back
It's to up to spec and there for its not what you ased for and payed for

I'd look at the woodsmen evs from gpw it's like the dvr but less think $1600 with cast iron legs

bill09
3rd June 2012, 06:24 AM
yeah fellas,wish i'd known about Woodsmen..anyway fixed problem.. male bottom of tailstock that runs between the rails is only screwed on and wasnt parrallel to bed ..Talk about IKEA meets Bunnings...anyway lines up now..Cheers .thanks for input..:)

vk4
3rd June 2012, 08:28 PM
Glad to see that you found the issue, and that the lathe is now in line .

have fun turning, and making heaps of shavings.

Jeff