PDA

View Full Version : Paper or Plastic

Skewturn
5th June 2012, 09:14 PM
:doh:Hi all
Just got some wet cherry which I am going to wet turn into bowls. I have been searching around for good ways to store wet bowls afterwards to dry. I have got to this stage: 1st coat with end sealer
2nd collect shavings
3rd put bowl and shavings in a bag.
But can anyone tell me whether its better to to use a plastic or paper bags to store in or not to use anything and store on shelf of shed. Any info that can help will help.
Cheers Skewturn.

tea lady
5th June 2012, 09:52 PM
I don't bother with end sealer. Just pack in shavings in a box. Some I did put into plastic bags and they went moldy. Which did look pretty good in the end. :cool:

cookie48
5th June 2012, 10:40 PM
From what I hear just put them in an old cardboard box with the shavings. Plastic will make it sweat.

powderpost
6th June 2012, 11:55 PM
Cardbox full of shavings is the way to go. Mark the weight on it and check the weight weekly. When it has stabilised, finish it off. A microwave is a lot faster, but it will need more care. There have been plenty of discussions here on microwaves, do a search.
Jim

Skewturn
7th June 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the help. I turned some wet bowls and stuck them in the box with the shavings ( I love the shavings you get with wet bowls) I look forward to seeing the result. I cant try the microwave the wife wont approve.
Cheers

soundman
12th June 2012, 08:36 AM
What you are trying to do is even out the drying process and maybe slow it down a little.

In the past I have simply stuffed the bowl with crumpled news paper and then wrapped it in several layers.

This way you have a clean dry product for packing that wont promote mould or harbour pests.

If the material is prone to mould and you don't want that, drench in a stiff solution of borax.

cheers

hughie
12th June 2012, 09:45 AM
With me I paint the outside with BLO and store in cardboard box and keep an eye on it for the thfrist few weeks filling any checks.cracks with CA as the appear.
Much depends on the type of wood its self as to the best method, Cherry I dont see much of and if I do its dry.

vk4
12th June 2012, 09:56 AM
In the past I would seal the outside with wax, and leave the inside open, then stack in a milk crate full of shavings.

This worked well for me, .

if stored in plastic the moisture cannot escape the container , then you get mould / spalting , depending on the timber involved and the mould spores that infect it.

Jeff
vk4

Skewturn
12th June 2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the ideas maybe I will try a few pieces each way then see which works bests.
I didnt know that mould was bad I thought it was just on the surface.:doh:
Cheers Skewturn

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2012, 05:58 PM
When I'm rough turning I'll store in the shavings in a cardboard box. For woods that are known to be prone to splitting (eg. most fruitwoods) I may also give a coat of mobilcer or wax or even plain ol' PVA.

If I'm turning to finished size - which is rarely a good idea with green wood, unless you want it to move - I'll floodcoat with whatever finish I'm planning to use, usually a Danish or Tung Oil. Wait for it to dry (using a moisture meter) and then hand-sand & finish properly.

Whatever you do, avoid anything that seals near 100%. Plastic bags are only good if you'll be taking the blank out every day and wiping away any moisture on the blank/inside the bag. (Not really worth the effort... shavings are better IMHO.)