PDA

View Full Version : Our clubs finances

Gingermick
1st March 2005, 10:40 PM
My woodturning club costs $6000 a year to run and we are having difficulty paying the bill.
One of the main difficulties is finding a way to make a user pays system for using the lathes / bandsaws etc (vicmarc electronic variable speed, nova 3000 i think, woodfast, 2 other big lathes and 4 mini's., but no pliers). As its not really fair to make the older members who never use the gear pay for the upkeep/replacement power.
I'm happy to pay a little more when I use the lathes but no one can agree on how we should implement the change.
What do other clubs do?
Thanks for any ideas.
Mick

beejay1
1st March 2005, 11:24 PM
I dont think youre going to find an answer to this without upsetting someone.
You could

increase the annual subs and maybe consider a senior citizen rate.
What about a power slot meter.
look at ways to attract new members from say, local school.
any chance of some sponsorship from local business.
offer private tuition or restoration/repair service.
hold an extraordinary AGM and let all members know that the club will go under without the extra revenue. If the enthusiasm is there they should support it.
Hold regular sales of club made products.
Merge club nights with another club/activity and share the cost. Wouldnt go for line dancing though.
Im sure others will give you ideas and hopefully youll find a workable solution to the problem. I would be a pity if you had to wind it up. good luck
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

smidsy
2nd March 2005, 01:51 AM
Hei Ginger,
My club here in Perth charges an annual membership of $50 a year (with discount for seniors) and $4 per attendance - I'm not sure if there is any set protocol on what constitutes "attendance" but most people put $4 in the pot even if they don't use any gear. We are the turning branch of a local craft group so our overheads are shared among a larger group.

We also make money selling supplies like endcheck and sandpaper, and we are proactive in attracting new members with demo's at shopping centres and the like.

Maybe more members is the answer rather than increased fees, or if there is more than one club in the area consider a merge - combine equipment, facilities and expenses.
I guess it really comes down to whether people are willing to make the club succeed or not.

Cheers
Paul

Simon-UK
2nd March 2005, 04:31 AM
Hi,

The scheme Paul (Smidsy) has outlined is the way our club runs. In overview our club costs £6500GBP to run, and generates a little under £4000GBP in membership.

We pay £20GBP for annual membership, the mid week club nights at the pub (usually with a demo) are included. The Wednesday / Saturday 'workshop' sessions are £5 GBP per session to cover power, consumables + wear & tear and then the special demo sessions where top names turners give a demo are £12GBP which is to cover costs as the demonstrators are getting more expensive. This club income is then suplimented with income from club sales of turned items (20% to club funds) at wood fairs and associated promotional items on the stalls such as 'Pick a peg' etc (10 pegs out of 200 or so with red tip wins a prize when pulled from a drilled board).

Not sure if any of the above will help but there should be some parallels.

Best regards
Simon.