PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Finishing?

bdfairlie
9th June 2012, 11:42 PM
Some time back, a mate asked me whether I could use a couple of logs from a grapefruit tree. Of course, I said I could! As it turned out, unfortunately there was only one piece that was worth working. The rest were full of splits and shakes and rot!

Still fairly green, so I turned four small bowls and put them away for three months to dry. They dried out quite well with no splits and only minimal non-uniform shrinkage. The dry bowls turned quite nicely - but working with wood that was a very bright yellow was a new experience!

As is my usual practice, I presented one of the resulting bowls to the supplier of the wood as a token of thanks.

Last night he told me that his wife's reaction on seeing the bowl was to exclaim "Its plastic"!!!

Now, my finishing is not bad, but certainly not up to the standards of the best in the bunch. The bowl was sanded to 600 and then Shellawaxed, buffed and polished.

So this got me thinking: am I spending too much effort on finishing? While a great finish might well be appreciated by my fellow turners, is this what the public expect of a "hand turned" bowl?

What are your thoughts, experiences?

francè
10th June 2012, 03:18 AM
Some time back, a mate asked me whether I could use a couple of logs from a grapefruit tree. Of course, I said I could! As it turned out, unfortunately there was only one piece that was worth working. The rest were full of splits and shakes and rot!

Still fairly green, so I turned four small bowls and put them away for three months to dry. They dried out quite well with no splits and only minimal non-uniform shrinkage. The dry bowls turned quite nicely - but working with wood that was a very bright yellow was a new experience!

As is my usual practice, I presented one of the resulting bowls to the supplier of the wood as a token of thanks.

Last night he told me that his wife's reaction on seeing the bowl was to exclaim "Its plastic"!!!

Now, my finishing is not bad, but certainly not up to the standards of the best in the bunch. The bowl was sanded to 600 and then Shellawaxed, buffed and polished.

So this got me thinking: am I spending too much effort on finishing? While a great finish might well be appreciated by my fellow turners, is this what the public expect of a "hand turned" bowl?

What are your thoughts, experiences?

I sold a vase and three days later they called me and explained that his wife thought it was Murano glass and filled it with water for the flowers .... The vase was cracked, I could not repair it, they ordered and paid for another pot ... too perfect a finish can be a detriment if the viewer does not think something is watching !! .. :)

hughie
10th June 2012, 09:25 AM
finish, you will find is a highly personal choice and sometimes if you dont know the person well it pays to ask.
I have friends who are doggardly opposed to any sort of shine no matter what and some who rate a high gloss finish as perfect.

powderpost
10th June 2012, 10:21 AM
:aro-u: Agreed.
Jim

dai sensei
10th June 2012, 12:14 PM
I also agree with Hughie. Not only does personal opinion count, but also the wood, some do better with shine some not.

When using Shellewax however, I tend to think 600 is not enough, I prefer 1200 but that's just me.

turnerted
10th June 2012, 05:05 PM
I had one gallery tell me my work was not shiney enough. Latter when I learnt to achieve a better finish another gallery told me my work was too shiney.It's a problem.
Ted

HuonPhil
10th June 2012, 06:08 PM
"While a great finish might well be appreciated..."
"too perfect a finish..."

I personally do not particularly like high gloss finishes, but I have never considered that the gloss level is an indicator of quality.

Philip.

Paul39
12th June 2012, 07:06 AM
I sand to 220, apply tung oil with a cloth while turning, dry overnight, wet sand with 400 & tung oil, apply more tung oil with a rag while turning on the lathe, dry overnight. This gives a soft baby skin smooth finish.

People will rub the turnings and remark about the soft smooth feel. This seems to sell well in North Carolina, USA

I have read that Asians like very high gloss.