PDA

View Full Version : Gazebo

numbat
3rd March 2005, 12:44 PM
SWMBO and I are considering an octagonal gazebo for the garden. I guess the options are either a kit or build from a plan.

Has anyone got any experiences or comments or suggestions on this.

Cheers

Rookie
3rd March 2005, 03:36 PM
If you build from a kit you have no problem except that a) you won't get a design that you really really like, and b) you won't have designed and built it yourself so you won't be happy.

I built one a while ago, and while it wasn't octagonal (it was square), it fitted the area I had very well because I designed it for that area so I didn't waste space. It also was dimensioned considering some good outdoor furniture we already had, and was considered too expensive to replace.

It's not difficult, and I'm no expert by any means, but the few things I would say are
a) brush up on your Pythagoras because working out the lengths of roofing timbers which peak in the centre and go to the corners is tricky. (at least is was for me who had long lost the small amount of Trig belted into me years before)
b) I used framed lattice for fences on two sides, because it was a nice divider from the ferney, but more important, provided a very nice bracing function which minimised the bracing up at eye or eave level (the standard size of lattice panels plus framing was therefore a factor in dimensions as well)
c) Don't scrimp on roof covering if you're going to use it. I used laserlite and am glad I did.
d) The pointy bit, where all the roof timbers join up in the middle (there must be a techo name for that) can be joined using either a decorative post which the timbers are butt joined to, or steel bracket with eight legs built for the purpose. The decorative timber post is much nicer, you can make your own, and if you're using a covering such as laserlite you can design in a ridge for rain proofing. If you use the octagonal bracket, waterproofing becomes a challenge.

Hope that helps. As I said, I'm no expert, but I took my time, calculated four times before even thinking about measuring and cutting, and it came out really well. Wish I had a picture to post but she got the house and I got...well never mind.

Eastie
3rd March 2005, 04:49 PM
SWMBO has directed me that unless there is a gazebo in the garden in the near future my future will be uncertain. In assessing my options I could easily buy a pre-fab and risk the dodgy instructions and improvise with the missing pieces, but I’d really like to build one so I can get some peace and quiet. If I stuff this up the crown jewels are on the line – probably my dignity also! Has anyone got any idea how I work out the angles, footings, and all that other stuff? My knowledge ot triginomotry isn't as good as it once was - somethig about the anlge of the dangle is equal to the ...... I’d like to know before I have to make the decision, and time is running out since I’ve procrastinated about it for a while before posting. Are all those angles really that hard?

Cheers

Give it a go – it’s not that hard. After all, what have you got to lose :D

Jacksin
3rd March 2005, 06:14 PM
I looked at building one (before she got the house) and couldnt see anything too hard. Hexagonal shape looked nice, but I think square would be easier and better in catering for the outdoor furniture.
Good Luck
Jack ;)

Rookie
3rd March 2005, 10:30 PM
I've dug up the tables I wrote up to help me out with the angles and attached them. I used MS excel formulas for the real calculations though as I don't have one of them tricky calculators our kids have now.

Another clue, now that angles have been mentioned, is to remember that if you want a 22 degree pitch on the roof, it's not 22 degrees from the apex to the corners, it's 22 degrees from the apex to the sides at the right angle. The four main rafters going to the corners (in the case of a square pointy topped pergola) are somewhat less than 22 degrees, but I can't remember what. From memory though you have to work out the angles in about three seperate triangles to get to the right answer.

I'm sure though that some builders here have got tables of all this stuff though.

journeyman Mick
3rd March 2005, 10:55 PM
I've got tables somewhere, but find it faster and easier to draw it to scale on a sheet of ply (or full size on the concrete) don't use angles at all, just the rise and run. (ie: 1 in 12 or 1 in 20 etc)

Mick

Rookie
3rd March 2005, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm.. See what I mean.

Damn. Wish I'd thought of that :(

Woodlice
4th March 2005, 02:12 AM
Get some galv steel pipe (6" dia is good) and use it for the perps. Give it a decent coat of rust prime (in a colour to suit the rest.) That way you dont have rotting timber after a year of watering the garden surround.

J!

jackiew
4th March 2005, 08:55 AM
You might want to check out a couple of books by Alan Staines,

one is on decks and pergolas and the other is on roofing ( and has tables of all the angles in it ). your local library is bound to have them and so will any reasonable sized bookshop.

numbat
4th March 2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for your input everyone.

Initially I was getting a bit reticent to start as the first couple of replies seemed to imply you start a gazebo and SWMBO gets the house.

I will keep looking for ideas. Just got to get over a building project first (terrace extension and basement workshop).

Cheers

mic-d
4th March 2005, 06:34 PM
At the risk of being laughed at... I have this friend who knows somebody who told him that they knew somebody who saw a design and instructions for a federation style octagonal gazebo in the Sept/Oct 2003 Family Handyman...apparently. It looks quite a nice design, um, so I heard ;)

Cheers
Michael

numbat
4th March 2005, 09:00 PM
design and instructions for a federation style octagonal gazebo in the Sept/Oct 2003 Family Handyman...apparently. It looks quite a nice design, um, so I heard ;)

Anyone got a copy or have a scan of this?

Cheers

Ziggy
6th March 2005, 04:14 PM
You can get back copies of Family Handyman by calling them directly on
1300 305 599. They charge $7.99 each plus p&h.

Cheers

Zig

numbat
7th March 2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks Ziggy - I will follow that up.

I also found this plan online (US but free) http://www.calredwood.org/ref/pdf/gazebo.pdf

Cheers

Strungout
25th November 2006, 10:38 AM
You can get back copies of Family Handyman by calling them directly on
1300 305 599. They charge $7.99 each plus p&h.

Cheers

Zig

I am after a Plan for an Octaginal Gazebo.

Is this one any good. Any other suggestions (Free or Buy??)

Thanks

Greg

Bleedin Thumb
25th November 2006, 11:57 AM
I've designed and built one about 10 years ago Ill see if I can find the plans and scan them. It may take me a while as the are archived in a big pile of stuff.

Bleedin Thumb
25th November 2006, 01:33 PM
Hi Strungout, Gone through the old plans.. aaahhhh the memories,the one I was thinking about only showed it on plan. Did find this one from 1993 that shows a bracket that I used to get fabricated that made raising the roof a dream- I have a feeling you may be able to buy these premade in plastic now.:o

Note that this is for a hexagonal structure and I would recommend a steeper pitch - cant remember why I specified 30 deg. Dont worry about the top bracket it was for a flag (kids playground).:)

Strungout
27th November 2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks Bleedin Thumb,

I have found a place in SA who have the brackets already made.

Cheers Greg