PDA

View Full Version : Q-Turn 2012

dai sensei
18th June 2012, 07:49 PM
Well I'm back home after yet another successful Q-Turn held at Sommerset Dam. Not as many as previous years, not as many signed up, plus even some last minute cancellations so just a mere 35 with 32 lathes. Not normally advertised, as it is usually booked out well in advance, but it will be advertised for the first time next year to ensure better numbers.

Still had a great time, with good food and great company. Should have talked less and turned more, but my knee had its limitations anyway. As usual didn't take enough photos :doh:

I did manage to finish another threaded ball box demonstrating my new threading jig and ball turning jig. Made from Budgeroo and this time I got the threading and grain match perfect :2tsup:

Also made some earrings from the left over Budgeroo with some small dangles from Queen Ebony. Also quickly made a small stand from some Silky Oak to hang them from.

Last was an ant quickly turned from PNG Rosewood. This was my entry into the mystery project, made in 1 hour on the last day just before voting, from the small piece of rosewood we are given ~75x150x20mm on arrival. The idea is to make what ever you like, then we each vote on which one we like best. High stakes involved, the winner gets a packet of lollies :U. This year I won :B:U:U

More scenic photos to follow

Cheers

dai sensei
18th June 2012, 07:52 PM
Photos by Gawdelpus John.

Shed; 2x view from shed;bunkhouse balcony; view to Somerset dam; cabin deck; pool (no-one was brave enough :U)

Scott
18th June 2012, 09:34 PM
Some great turnings there Neil, especially the lidded box (my favourite). Must attend a turning event like this in the future, seems like great company :)

gawdelpus
18th June 2012, 09:34 PM
Was a great weekend of kindred souls ,no TV no phones and perfect weather :) The busy bodies were interrupted at regular intervals for sustenance ,then back to the serious business of creation hehe, I elected to leave my woodfast at home this year,but took my Mini metal lathe instead as I wanted to do some prototype pen blanks using a dremel to make hexagons and octogons on pen blanks , all worked well ,but ran out of time to do any real finishing off, only got one artist pencil finished in acrylic , which one of the Ladies just had to have for herself ,so no photos :( ,no time today as I dropped into help Neil unload his trailer and got caught up making a 6 inch ball from some very interesting "tulip wood" which needs a bit more finishing before it can be shown hehe. cheers ~ John :2tsup:

TTIT
18th June 2012, 09:55 PM
There's an awful lot of familiar faces in that group shot - bit of a Proserpine dejavu! - don't those blokes have homes to go to??? :;

dai sensei
18th June 2012, 10:00 PM
There's an awful lot of familiar faces in that group shot - bit of a Proserpine dejavu! - don't those blokes have homes to go to??? :;

Yep, plenty of grey nomads :U:U

dr4g0nfly
19th June 2012, 05:37 AM
You've got to love that ant!

smiife
19th June 2012, 08:47 PM
hi neal,
looks like a nice place there,very peacefull ,
and i really like the ball box nice line up of the grain:2tsup:
hope you don't mind me asking but
how come we did not here about Q Turn before the event
or is it for only invited members?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

woolclasser
20th June 2012, 07:36 PM
It is only for invited guests, however i am just updating the mailing list now. if you would like to come send me a pm so that you can get an invite for next year.
Jim

dai sensei
22nd June 2012, 10:00 PM
You got any more photos Jim?

woolclasser
23rd June 2012, 07:37 PM
me no, i forget something every year. this year it was the camera however i am trying to chase some up but it could take a few days.
Jim