PDA

View Full Version : Timber for pepper mills.

bowerbird
19th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Planning to start making some pepper mills soon. Would Coachwood and Queensland Beech be suitable for pepper mills? Can anyone suggest other suitable timbers, please? Obviously not scented timbers like Rosewood and Camphor Laurel.

Great to know about the Crushgrind mechanisms too! :)

Usually 25mm, but the one up the middle is not critical usually, so up to you. I use Crushgrind mechanisms, and they usually come with a plan of dimensions

gawdelpus
19th June 2012, 09:08 PM
I guess it depends a lot on your skill level and available timbers, mostly I make the 10" grinders ,I have used a lot of different timbers including camphor laurel ,I always seal the insides with several coats of food safe shellac :) you need to finish the base at about 60mm dia so look at wood in that size range ,lengths are whatever you want with regard to the length of the centre shaft you purchase ,these are aluminium so are easily cut down if needed. The crush grinders can take pepper salt and almost any dried herbs so very versatile .I like light colored timbers for salt and dark timbers for pepper,but I am pretty traditional hehe. you will need a selection of forstner bits for the mechanisms but that should be no problem . They are fun to make ,may take a bit longer than you expect at first but nothing too difficult if even a penmaker like me can turn them out from time to time :) enjoy, cheers ~ John

dai sensei
19th June 2012, 09:21 PM
Welcome aboard Bowerbird.

Basically any timber is good for a grinder (including Rosewood and Camphor Laurel), as long as it is sealed to keep the nasties out, plus interesting grain helps.

Crushgrind mechanisms, well all I can say is, they are the best IMHO

bowerbird
19th June 2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you John. I'm not sure why my profile only shows 1 post... perhaps because I haven't posted for ages due to health issues.

Yes, I have a set of CarbaTec forstner bits but haven't bought the Crushgrind mechanisms yet. Ok, I turned more than 12 pens last year and nearly 20 keyrings and turned a few other things, so pepper mills are within my skill range.

Do you always seal the inside regardless of timber type?
:D
Cheers,
BB

I guess it depends a lot on your skill level and available timbers, mostly I make the 10" grinders ,I have used a lot of different timbers including camphor laurel ,I always seal the insides with several coats of food safe shellac :) you need to finish the base at about 60mm dia so look at wood in that size range ,lengths are whatever you want with regard to the length of the centre shaft you purchase ,these are aluminium so are easily cut down if needed. The crush grinders can take pepper salt and almost any dried herbs so very versatile .I like light colored timbers for salt and dark timbers for pepper,but I am pretty traditional hehe. you will need a selection of forstner bits for the mechanisms but that should be no problem . They are fun to make ,may take a bit longer than you expect at first but nothing too difficult if even a penmaker like me can turn them out from time to time :) enjoy, cheers ~ John

bowerbird
19th June 2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks.

Basically any timber is good for a grinder (including Rosewood and Camphor Laurel), as long as it is sealed to keep the nasties out, plus interesting grain helps.

Crushgrind mechanisms, well all I can say is, they are the best IMHO

Fireman sam
29th June 2012, 09:29 PM
with sealing the inside of the grinders is feastwatson proof seal ok to use if not where do you get food grade shellac from who sells it
Thanks Andrew:fireman:

bowerbird
29th June 2012, 09:56 PM
ditto Andrew's comment :)

with sealing the inside of the grinders is feastwatson proof seal ok to use if not where do you get food grade shellac from who sells it

gawdelpus
29th June 2012, 10:15 PM
can't see why not , the sealer should be fine , I actually use feast watson mastertouch french polish (from mitre 10) contains shellac ,seems fine to me ,and convenient as its pre mixed and ready to go anytime . Maybe some of the guys in the finishing section may have a better solution :) cheers ~ John

bowerbird
27th July 2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you John. :)

can't see why not , the sealer should be fine , I actually use feast watson mastertouch french polish (from mitre 10) contains shellac ,seems fine to me ,and convenient as its pre mixed and ready to go anytime . Maybe some of the guys in the finishing section may have a better solution :) cheers ~ John

bowerbird
27th July 2012, 09:33 PM
Andrew, I just remembered viewing this site some time ago and just revisited now...

FoodSafe Plus (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/FS+.htm)

It says that Food Safe product can be used on salad bowls so maybe it's ok for the inside of pepper mills too? Maybe you can ask them? Failing that they do have Hard Shellac listed as one of their products too and another link to their Distributors.

distribs (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/distribs.htm#AU)

Rob Day was selling some Ubeaut stuff, not sure if he still does.

Cheers,
BB :)