PDA

View Full Version : plaster boards flaking

ayman
4th March 2005, 11:05 AM
Hi,

Has anyone got an experience to share on how to fix ceiling plaster boards (old type, I think it is called fiber plaster because it has hair-like material in it) that have bits and pieces of paint chippings off it? It looks like the moon surface from a distance :)
I tried to sand them of, but that will take for ever and the ceiling has got mouldings in it.

Thanks.

Christopha
4th March 2005, 02:49 PM
Hey Man, this is the woodturning forum, get yourself below to the renovatipons depaartment..... we up here are way too smart for plus... plarst... er..... Gyprock.

soundman
5th March 2005, 10:44 PM
Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you & I think it starts with a paint scraper.
A scraper will get results on loose & flaking work faster & cleaner than sand paper.
Then you can progress to filling & sanding.
cheers

craigb
5th March 2005, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you & I think it starts with a paint scraper.
A scraper will get results on loose & flaking work faster & cleaner than sand paper.
Then you can progress to filling & sanding.
cheers

And then you will be able to use a flat ceiling paint which will also mean that the imperfections are less noticable from floor level.

Craig (who hates painting the patterned ceilings in his house :( )

jimc
7th March 2005, 08:06 AM
It should be reasonably easy to scrape back the offending areas and skim coat it. Any good plasterer should be able to skim coat at a very resonably rate.
If your ceiling is flaking from a rose or fancy cornice, then the skim coating gets a lot more fiddly but not so bad......
or then you could do what I did...replaced the old ceiling with new plaster and replica cornice. Total cost approx $300 for a 4.2 X 4.6 bedroom.

Cheers

micko
7th March 2005, 11:44 AM
Have a look at this web site.
These guys have products that allow paint to stick to anything even chalky surfaces.I had a very bad fibrous plaster kitchen ceiling.I scraped and sanded as much as possible then touched up the bare areas with emusibond acrylic binder.
I then used one of the skim coat products and a large broadknife to fill the indentations.Then a primer sealer over the patches.
I painted it up and a perfect job.Seven years lated there is no sign of lifting.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/

micko