PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie.

vk4
25th June 2012, 12:11 AM
Hi All,

I have just brought a pyro pen unit from E-BAY, it is made by a retired appliance repairer(ex seimens ).

The unit is in a small black box & comes with a pen and changeable tips.Cost $140, +$5.00 for extra wire tips.

It seams to work reasonably well, and I am doing a mail box for some friends, I have done a little bit of this art form at my woody's club , but now have a chance to improve my technique at home.

Jeff
vk4

SandyC
27th June 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Jeff, I bought one of these too to start off with, I bought razortips and connectors :) to change it, but I still go back to the orginals, all I have done is with the original nibs, check out my post, see if its the same thing :)
You're doing great keep going :)
SandyC

vk4
27th June 2012, 08:27 PM
Sandy,
Are you still using the small machine ??, or have you brought another one??,
I am not totally impressed with the unit I think it is under powered, and does not recover fast enough ,.

I will take it up to the WOODIES shortly , to compare with the larger units , I am still looking at building my own unit as I think the commercial units are greatly over priced,

I looked at RAZOR Tips, in Canada the machine sells for $166.00, in Australia the same Machine is $260.00 , the only difference is 120Volts & 240Volts.

Someone is making a big profit ..

Jeff
vk4

SandyC
28th June 2012, 09:23 PM
I'm still using it Jeff, don't be afraid to turn that knob up :) I got mine off Ebay, and picked it up here In Brisbane... is it the same one? as mine holds the temp well and drops quickly when I need it to. I agree with you on the price of the better mods, I didn't want to pay that when learning, as I might not have been any good :doh: but I think I am doing ok and may save my pennies for the Razortip.
Might look at the Canadian one, adaptor plugs are cheap :)
Good Luck
Sandy

vk4
29th June 2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Sandy,

There is another unit being sold on e bay, for $169 + freight lot bigger than the BLACK BOX, looks a better unit at a reasonable price.

Jeff

SandyC
3rd July 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Jeff I'm checking out the postage cost of this at the moment. adaptor plugs are very cheap. Will let you know.
The Wooden Teddy Bear, Inc.: Wood Burning (http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM3965&Product_Code=AC241&Category_Code=111)
cheers
Sandy

vk4
3rd July 2012, 02:50 PM
Sandy,

If the Power is 240V and shipping is not excessive , normally $45.00 + from USA, would be a good buy.

I am getting close to building my own unit , the big hurdle is a transformer( drops voltage from 240 to 3Volts) this I have solved and will soon build a machine.

Jeff
vk4

vk4
4th July 2012, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

Some friends of ours moved out of town a couple of years ago, and they needed a new letter box,

As they have a name close to an Australian Marsupial, you can guess which, I volunteered to build them a new Box (unique to them).

It is rather large at 400lx300wx250h, and i have an aluminum roof ( old recycled sign ) to
go on top.

Anyway here are some pic's. I have posted a few Pic's before,and this is the finished work.

Jeff
vk4

vk4
18th August 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

Well I have been practicing a little , and thought I would post some pic's of my efforts.

Jeff
vk4

SandyC
25th August 2012, 12:10 PM
Looking good, :)
cheers
Sandy

vk4
26th August 2012, 11:09 PM
Sandy,
I may have the home made Pyrography tool , sorted out.
I am waiting on a small control circuit to arrive , and when I connect this to a small computer power supply , I should have a pen controller that will work , for under $100.00 , and be legal under Qld power regulations.

Jeff
vk4

PS

I included a couple of Pic's of my Ham Radio Gear in Error , in the words of the immortal "Maxwell Smart" sorry about that.

SandyC
31st August 2012, 02:22 PM
Excellent let me know how it goes. I bought the razertip and love it, but I think I may have a faulty one, as i have to keep moving the pen cord as it goes off, seems loose in the socket, anyone else have this problem?
Sandy

PS I did wonder what that was lol

artme
2nd September 2012, 09:19 AM
I can see that the practise is paying off!. Nice work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

vk4
5th September 2012, 09:31 AM
Sandy,

If you would like I could have a look at your unit , and see what the problem is??

I have found (through a friend ) a 6-12Volt control circuit , from China, which I can mate with a computer power supply , this will give the control for the Pyrography unit, the hand piece I have made 1 already , and I will refine this soon.

Jeff
vk4

Nanigai
5th September 2012, 09:44 AM
Nice work Jeff, those old buildings really are a great subject to work with.:2tsup:
cheers, Ian

chrisb691
5th September 2012, 09:55 AM
Can you give some more details on the control board please?

mythicagothiga
6th September 2012, 04:38 PM
Razertip can have conduction issues. Be sure to read instructions which are available online.

vk4
12th September 2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks all for the comments, I'm still learning.

Sandy , if the pen is doing what you say , I think you have a loose wire in the lead to the hand piece, or plug , you have to wiggle the lead to get it hot , which endare you wiggling??? ( of the lead!!!):U

Jeff
vk4

vk4
26th September 2012, 10:35 PM
Sandy,

Have you sorted the problem with the tool as yet???

Jeff
vk4

vk4
3rd January 2013, 10:09 PM
Latest effort, I was asked to make a Key rack, with a country feel, I think this may fill the bill.

Hope you like them.

Jeff
vk4

_fly_
3rd January 2013, 10:12 PM
Very Nice indeed,