PDA

View Full Version : fruitwood - Perth

Reaper
28th June 2012, 01:48 PM
Hey guys,

guess i would put this here as I’m not selling the wood...

i am going up to an orchard on Saturday as they are pulling up some trees and just burning them!!! ill be grabbing what i can and have no idea if they will be charging me. i don't have a lot of room on the ute (half a flat top tray) so if you want any let me know and ill see what i can do.

I spoke to the owners wife and she didn't know for sure if i can have any. so no promises. if anyone has a bigger ute and wants to help let me know

cheers
- Blake

Reaper
28th June 2012, 01:49 PM
oh and if i am charged ill just pass on the costs if you want the wood (no profit just covering my costs)

dai sensei
28th June 2012, 08:10 PM
If you were closer i would be in like flinn to give a hand. What a waste, hopefully you can organise to salvage a heap.

What are the species of fruit tree?

Reaper
29th June 2012, 10:37 AM
most are apple but the orchard also has plum and pear (but i doubt that will be available) if i get any good bits that are worth shipping ill be happy to arrange at your cost.

i did a drive by last night and although i cannot see the back of the orchard most of the stuff out the front looks a bit small to do much with... maybe a small box or something like that but i doubt there is anything you can turn a larger project out of

issatree
29th June 2012, 11:39 AM
Hi Reaper,
All Fruit is usually pretty good to Turn, & I'm not sure if this is what you want it for.
Definatley go for it, especially the Pear & Apple.

Reaper
30th June 2012, 11:54 PM
the guys up there have heaps of wood and about 200+ tree stump and rootstock (about 50cm trunk) plumb, pear and some citrus.:oo:

in the next few weeks they will be cutting some persimmons (apparently very nice looking wood?) and will give me a call so i can come get some!

I was on limited time and only managed to get about 10 good bits, with any luck ill get some more in a few weeks.......

not i just need to research the best way to dry it:q

dr4g0nfly
1st July 2012, 06:00 AM
Apple and Pear wood (at least in the UK) tends to grow with a wind/twist. Split it or plank it as fast as possible - if the shakes take and run around the twisted growth it will split in such a way as to make it unusable.

dai sensei
1st July 2012, 12:49 PM
For fruit trees, especially those smaller ones more suitable for boxes and pen turning, I slice them them on the bandsaw 25-30mm thick. I then seal the ends by dipping with paraffin wax to 25mm deep, then stack with ice-cream sticks at 100mm c/c, and tie stacks together tightly with cable ties. Each month check the cable ties and re-tighten as necessary. Spray the lot with boron to keep the bugs away and store out of the sun. If large enough, I also cut some 80mm square pieces x 450mm long from either side of the pith, for pepper grinder blanks.

There is a local tropical fruit farm near me that trim their trees each year (different ones each year though) and stack the off-cuts (up to 300mm dia) under the trees to rot. They don't mind me taking a few every now and then. I cut and stacked some Avocado and Loquat a few months back.

They should be pretty dry after 6 months but 12 months is better. Split the stack and look at the grain, you can then make a decision to use for boxes, or pen blanks. If pen blanks, remember to cut into a mix of ling grain, cross grain and diagonal grain blanks. Any pepper grinder blanks need to be left for 2 years to dry.

cheers

Reaper
1st July 2012, 02:03 PM
well that's shows my ignorance, i was thinking 6-8 months max... well woodwork is hardly a fast paced hobby:2tsup:

dai sensei
1st July 2012, 10:57 PM
:U I remember after slicing up 6 Osage Orange logs for rocking chairs, being impatient waiting for them to dry at the time, that was 6 years ago and they are still in the shed :doh:

Sawdust Maker
3rd July 2012, 09:32 PM
:U I remember after slicing up 6 Osage Orange logs for rocking chairs, being impatient waiting for them to dry at the time, that was 6 years ago and they are still in the shed :doh:

so how do you rock yourself to sleep?

Reaper
3rd July 2012, 10:24 PM
after a bit of research i think it might be possible to make a small kiln (at about 80 degrees) fan, heater, dehumidifier and some insulation...

doomed to fail or worth a try:?? any one had experience in this? it would only be to dry a stack or 2 of pen blanks

dr4g0nfly
4th July 2012, 05:57 AM
after a bit of research i think it might be possible to make a small kiln (at about 80 degrees) fan, heater, dehumidifier and some insulation...

One of my club members did this with an old small chest freezer - found the instructions somewhere in the WWW.

dai sensei
4th July 2012, 10:11 PM
For pen blanks, I have one of a dehydrator that works pretty well. Mine is oen of these SUPER FAST AIRITE 8 TRAY FOOD PRESERVE DRYER DEHYDRATOR | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPER-FAST-AIRITE-8-TRAY-FOOD-PRESERVE-DRYER-DEHYDRATOR-/280912832052?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item4167b5a634#ht_3612wt_1376)