PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Corian vase.

Sturdee
28th June 2012, 04:59 PM
Spent some time today turning a miniature vase of Corian. The off cut I got was already laminated at the factory so the dimensions were dictated by the double thickness of the standard 12mm Corian. Dimensions are 65*20mm.

Surprisingly it took just as long to make one this small as it would have taken to make a larger one out of wood.

Enjoy.

Peter.

wheelinround
28th June 2012, 09:13 PM
Lovely green Peter.

Your getting good with this Corian, how are you finding it to turn? Tool wear? Re-grinding? finishing?

dr4g0nfly
29th June 2012, 05:56 AM
Now you've gone and done it. You'll have to turn a bunch of miniature flowers to fill it!

Sturdee
29th June 2012, 09:50 AM
Lovely green Peter.

Your getting good with this Corian, how are you finding it to turn? Tool wear? Re-grinding? finishing?

Thanks Ray.

Turning Corian is very similar to turning acrylics as it's a kind of plastic. But you have to be very careful until it's roughed down to round as it's very easy to chip and break segments of it doing so.

Once it's round you can get very fine shavings of the tools as I start sanding with 400 followed by 600 and 800 grits dry and then polish it with the wet MM system.

I mainly use a collection of round nose scrapers, bedans and parting tools. I tried using gouges and skews but found they didn't work well. Tool wear is minimal as I need to re sharpen the same as working with wood and in any case I made them myself using the HSS blanks from Gary Pye.

When gluing pieces together I rough the smooth sides with 180 grit and use the medium CA without accelerator and leave it clamped up to cure for at least 24 hours. You can cut , drill and rout it the same as wood.

Peter.

Sturdee
29th June 2012, 09:54 AM
Now you've gone and done it. You'll have to turn a bunch of miniature flowers to fill it!

Don't do flowers but may be Springwater can do them for me. :U

Peter.

wheelinround
29th June 2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Peter for in depth :2tsup:

springwater
29th June 2012, 09:28 PM
That's a little beauty Peter, pretty harmonious shape you got going there. I've wondered if you turning lot ever made vases but more of wood, though that Corian has potential. How about a laminated multi-coloured stacker :cool:

Sturdee
29th June 2012, 10:27 PM
How about a laminated multi-coloured stacker :cool:

Any particular colour combination for that. :U

Peter.

springwater
29th June 2012, 10:41 PM
Any particular colour combination for that. :U
Peter.

All of them, go wild :U