PDA

View Full Version : How to off center like this?

Chrome
30th June 2012, 04:01 AM
This wonderful platter is obviously turned off center, I love the concentric banding, but anyone throw any light on how it was probably achieved and how I would emulate this kind of turning?

http://www.douglasjfisher.com/i/Remembering-the-Past.jpg

Cheers, Chrome

dr4g0nfly
30th June 2012, 05:52 AM
Personally I'd use a glue chuck - say 3/4" ply. .

Glue the platter blank to it and then screw the glue block to a faceplate.

Turn the first part then leaving in one screw and using it as a pivot swing the platter a small amount set a second screw. Ensure you get the amount of offset you want (adjust as necessary) - rotate by hand or slow speed.

Then when happy replace all the screws and carry on.

Chrome
30th June 2012, 10:57 AM
That sounds like a good way dr4g0nfly... :2tsup:

I'm thinking it could be moved a regular amount each time (that offset you mention) by marking some kind of scale on the back of the block attached to the faceplate therefore helping to create the pattern. When finished using one screw as the pivot I could move to the starting position and do it with another screw. :rolleyes:

I might have a go at doing it like that. If I haven't been killed by a flying platter I'll report back. :D

Cheers,

Chrome

tea lady
30th June 2012, 12:12 PM
I might have a go at doing it like that. If I haven't been killed by a flying platter I'll report back. :D

Cheers,

ChromeSounds like fun. You could maybe glue weights on the opposite side to balance it a bit like they do for tires. :shrug:

We also want pics of the platter embedded in the ceiling.:D

thompy
30th June 2012, 08:57 PM
might be optical illusion but it seems only the mid section relief is offcentre, and yeah, i'd use a paper glue joint to a waste block on a faceplate too. turn the outside and the inner down to the base, finish it as you prefer to its final, offset the wasteblock, turn and finish the relief to match. Separate the paper joint and your done.

Neal.

RETIRED
30th June 2012, 10:33 PM
Check the rim, the recess and the upper inner circle at top left. There has been at least 4-5 shifts.

Nicely done piece of work.

TTIT
30th June 2012, 10:59 PM
Doug Fisher churns these things out like popcorn! It doesn't take much movement at all to produce the offset - I did a similar thing once by glueing a spigot to the base with a curved surface instead of the normal dovetail. It doesn't allow you to repeat any of the positions too easily but I didn't find the need to anyway. Works easiest in shark jaws so you can have a longer spherical section. Worked for me :shrug:

Paul39
1st July 2012, 01:01 PM
Pacific Northwest Native Art, Northwest Coast Native American Art, Northwest Native Art, Native Art Sculpture (http://www.douglasjfisher.com/pacific_coast_native_art.html)

michael_m
1st July 2012, 02:02 PM
On my (extensive) to-do list is some off-centre turning, based on the method on this site: Woodturning How to Turn an Arc Bowl. Mounting Off Centre - Paul Hannaby (http://www.hannaby.com/mounting-off-centre.html)

Mulgabill
1st July 2012, 05:51 PM
OK my thinking is that the rings on the outer rim are turned with bowl centred and then the first bowl is turned off centred.
The inner rings are turned on the opposite off-centre and the inner bowl is turned back on-centre.
I am probably wrong but the bottom of the bowl appears to be centred or is it an illusion?:whatonearth:

hughie
1st July 2012, 09:07 PM
Well I 'm not really into the how he did it but I really like what he does. I reckon his pieces are first rate :2tsup:

But if you want to se him in action.

Featured Demonstrator: New Zealand Woodturning Symposium, Paerata, NZ, Oct. 04 - 07, 2012