PDA

View Full Version : New lidded bowl

powderpost
2nd July 2012, 09:16 PM
Didn't waste any time after coming back from Melbourne. This is a new lidded bowl made from black walnut and silver ash. Measures 140mm high and 160mm diameter. Finished with three coats of sanding sealer and four thin coats of sprayed laquer. Well to tell the truth the lid was supposed to go on the bowl that went to Melbourne. I didn't think it suited so I made another lid for that bowl. Then I had a spare lid and so I had to make a new bowl for the lid. A bit back to front, but it all worked out ok.
Jim

vk4
2nd July 2012, 09:43 PM
VERY nice:2tsup::2tsup:, wish I was that good :(, have to practice more.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeff
vk4

wheelinround
2nd July 2012, 09:43 PM
Jim shame you didn't do that prior Vic as it also would have been a winner looks amazing.

powderpost
2nd July 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks Jeff and Ray for the nice comments. There is always next year? Would be interested to hear opinions off the profile.
Jim

mkypenturner
2nd July 2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks Jeff and Ray for the nice comments. There is always next year? Would be interested to hear opinions off the profile.
Jim
really good shape jim :2tsup: the only thing that stands out to me is the walnut sections that make up most of the bottom half of the bowl , i think a different kind of wood could be inlayed instead of all 1 wood and the first pic it makes the segments look like bricks to me , but still bloody nice and i dont have the time or bloody paitence to even think attemping that

orificiam
2nd July 2012, 11:55 PM
Hello Jim, Happy to see you didn't waste any time getting back to the woorkshop, and what a beautiful result, Congratulation,

Cheers Tony.:)

TTIT
3rd July 2012, 09:20 AM
Brilliant work as always Jim. :2tsup: Nothing wrong with putting the cart before the horse sometimes - I've got the slickest looking lid I made for a form a couple of years ago that just didn't suit the intended piece. One day I'll get round to making a form that works with it. :;

................. Would be interested to hear opinions off the profile.
JimI see where you're looking at this one - bit pointy round the midriff like a lot of blokes our age :B - put it on a low table where the profile won't show as easily :;

wheelinround
3rd July 2012, 10:41 AM
Jim

You mean telling you it was a winner wasn't enough:U

Ok profile
Like the overall shape and design with the recessed handle and bridge shaped of same.
Now did you put a thread on it?
If so this would detract as its a time waster to get to the cookies, lollies, money.:;

Skewturn
3rd July 2012, 05:13 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Nice piece

hughie
3rd July 2012, 06:10 PM
Nice one Jim, shape is just fine with the usual superb glue lines :2tsup:

powderpost
3rd July 2012, 08:28 PM
Some interesting comments, thanks for taking the time. Not sure I agree with Vern though.. :D
Jim

Sawdust Maker
3rd July 2012, 09:25 PM
Jim

nice work as always
I like the shape and form

I wonder whether a whitish stripe (?) up the middle of the handle would get the punters wondering how you hollowed it out

Did wonder about your post description - I was envisaging something larger for the outhouse :p

powderpost
3rd July 2012, 11:41 PM
Jim
I wonder whether a whitish stripe (?) up the middle of the handle would get the punters wondering how you hollowed it out.
Nick there is another bowl on the way and it has a light stripe in the middle of the handle.
And, it is too small for the outhouse :p
Jim

Alby123
4th July 2012, 12:44 AM
Bueatiful work:2tsup: