PDA

View Full Version : Microwaving and Pickling Burrs?

R12chard
8th March 2005, 12:47 AM
I recently acccuired a part seasoned 7" x 7" x 3" block of burr from austrailia. Having pondered on what to turn from this I looked toward a few magazines for inspiration. Unfortunatly there was no instruction on how to recreate the effects of a few illistations provided, entitled Burr (pickled and micro waved) The effect was outstanding - amoungst others a turned vase with evenly cut lines into the side (presumably of equal length) and hollowed in the centre where the wood was solid. My querie is how to microwave the finished article to gain the warping effect in the sides and what is pickling?

I look forward to your comments

Many thanks

Richard
(new to site)

PAH1
8th March 2005, 09:16 AM
The microwaving bit is easy, weigh it, put in the microwave on defrost for 3-5min. Do not let it start to boil. take it out let it cool, weigh it, repeat untill the weight is constant. Some timbers do not warp much and others warp a great deal. Burl could go either way given the grain. The pickling bit has me stumped, but a common blakening agent is steel wool rusted in vinegar and then applied to wood, that could be it but I am guessing.

Toymaker Len
8th March 2005, 09:29 PM
Just keep those burrs out of yr socks.