PDA

View Full Version : Football is Back

Grunt
8th March 2005, 03:32 PM
Ok, which AFL team do you support?

craigb
8th March 2005, 03:33 PM
Don't really follow AFL, but if I have to pick one, well then the Swans.

Grunt
8th March 2005, 03:38 PM
Sorry I pressed the wrong button and ended up losing the poll answers. Had to type them in again.

Wongo
8th March 2005, 03:40 PM
Don't really follow AFL, but if I have to pick one, well then the Swans.

X2

Woodlice
8th March 2005, 03:42 PM
Aussie rules is going to the dogs I reckon.. if they change any more rules its gonna start looking like tennis not football.

Gaelic football is fun to watch.
J!

Termite
8th March 2005, 03:44 PM
I voted as an axe murderer, if you've ever seen me chop wood you will know what I mean. :D

bitingmidge
8th March 2005, 04:19 PM
Aussie rules is going to the dogs I reckon.. if they change any more rules its gonna start looking like tennis not football.

If they change any more rules??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was would have voted for the Dapto Dogs, but that wasn't an option.

P
:D

echnidna
8th March 2005, 07:00 PM
Gee we have a high proportion of axe murderers in this BB. :D :D :D :D :D :D

is this where the maniacal laugh fits in? :eek: :eek:

graemet
8th March 2005, 09:01 PM
My first reaction was "who bl00dy well cares?" but then I realised that about 99.9% of the population do, misguided as they may be. How one can get fanatical about a bunch of hoodlums in funny coloured shirts being paid exorbitant wages to maul each other defies logic. In the days of suburb or regional teams it made a little more sense but today all the team loyalty is purely commercially driven and the players are bought and sold like racehorses. but unlike them, don't wait to be retired before they go to stud and can't be turned into dogfood when they get too old.
(Thommo ducks for cover and puts up the metal flame deflector.)

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2005, 09:21 PM
What's AFL?

I'm a Queenslander, so is my Dad, so was his Dad BUT.... his Dad came from Carlton in 1870 something so... I guess it's 'Carn the mighty Blues' :D

I couldn't tell you a thing about them other than I guess they are based in Carlton & maybe they wear blue.

BTW. Where's the option for Cricket?????

Grunt
8th March 2005, 09:52 PM
. Where's the option for Cricket?????

Had that last year. It's almost winter now.

himzol
8th March 2005, 09:59 PM
Being a good ethnic I went for the strange option of soccer.

I used to follow Carlton in the past and still keep an eye on how they are doing, but as somebody mentioned, with all the rule changes I've seen rougher games of netball, with closer results.

Himzo.

vsquizz
8th March 2005, 10:09 PM
Where's the option for the game played in heaven?

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2005, 10:16 PM
Had that last year. It's almost winter now.
There is ALWAYS cricket some where in the world..... some of us like cricket better than football.

beejay1
8th March 2005, 10:16 PM
Where's the option for the game played in heaven?Cheers
go on then squizzy, I'll jump in and ask...." What game is that then Squizzy"?
dont forget the BOOM BOOM taglinehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2005, 10:22 PM
Marbles? :rolleyes:

Grunt
8th March 2005, 10:24 PM
There is ALWAYS cricket some where in the world..... some of us like cricket better than football.

I like it both ways. I've got Foxtel which means I get to watch lots of Cricket in winter as well as the football.

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2005, 10:38 PM
OK ya ugly basket..... so where is the ' & Cricket ' option????? :D

vsquizz
9th March 2005, 12:39 AM
go on then squizzy, I'll jump in and ask...." What game is that then Squizzy"?
dont forget the BOOM BOOM taglinehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

beejay1

Beejay old chap, In heaven they play real rugby, old school of course, the gentlemans game, union old boy rugger what! Boom Boom

and did I perchance mention the southern hemisphere side just gave the northerners a bit of pasting.:D

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
9th March 2005, 12:46 AM
... In heaven they play real rugby, old school of course, ....
Arrrhhhh Boarding school food.... :rolleyes: I remember it well......

I've gotta say that I did enjoy playing rugby better than league but It's a tad boring to watch if you've never played it.... :o
Kinda like the differance between playing chess & draughts.:cool:
As a spectator sport, it's a bit like watching grid iron if you don't have an interpreter. :D

beejay1
9th March 2005, 01:32 AM
Beejay old chap, In heaven they play real rugby, old school of course, the gentlemans game, union old boy rugger what! Boom Boom

%£$~~~~~~'@@@{{}}}}}}___&%$£ (%£$~~~~~~'@@@{{}}}}}}___&%$£)!!!?????.:D

Cheers
I didnt know that squizzy and used to play, but only because I was made to at school. No footy allowed only Rugger and Hockey and I hated both as i was only a little bugger but I could always run out of trouble and seemed to score a lot so they kept putting me in the bloody team.

fraid the last part of your message was a bit scrambled but I assume you were paying me a compliment so thanks old chumhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

vsquizz
9th March 2005, 01:36 AM
:d :d :d

beejay1
9th March 2005, 01:43 AM
:d :d :d
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/liebe/love-smiley-024.gif
Sweet dreams.
beejay1

Christopha
9th March 2005, 09:00 AM
You seem to have forgotten one obvious poll option......

WHO GIVES A FAT RATS CRACK ABOUT ANY FORM OF FOOTBALL OR THE RETARDS WHO FOLLOW IT!

Iain
9th March 2005, 10:03 AM
What's AFL?

I'm a Queenslander, so is my Dad, so was his Dad BUT.... his Dad came from Carlton in 1870 something so... I guess it's 'Can't the mighty Blues'

It's not CAN'T it's CARN, derived from CARNAL which is what the players desire and procure from other players wives and/or girlfriends.
Besides that, I cannot stand bloody arial ping pong watching the big men fly and ranting on about the gourmet attributes of a four and twenty pie http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-014.gif

HappyHammer
9th March 2005, 10:52 AM
I played union at school No. 8, and would have voted for that and Soccer over AFL, although I'll watch pretty much anything if it's likely to be a good game, my preferences for the footy codes in order would be Football (Soccer), Union, League then AFL.

I got into AFL when I first came to Aus when I went to every home game the Swans played a few years ago when they made the final eight (still have the T-Shirt) and was present when Tony Lockett kicked a goal after the final siren to get them into the semi final I think it was, very exciting game that one but have lost interest since then.

HH.

Cliff Rogers
9th March 2005, 01:35 PM
It's not CAN'T it's CARN, .....Typo, ta, fixed now.....

Barry_White
9th March 2005, 01:38 PM
For a game that originated in Vic it is interesting that most of the votes so far are going to the Sydney Swans

DanP
10th March 2005, 12:50 AM
Right the first time Cliff. ;)

Woodlice
10th March 2005, 02:25 AM
I prefer UFC myself.

J!

Woodlice
10th March 2005, 02:28 AM
Hey, I didnt know Barry White was into Amway!!! :D :D :D

J!

Harry72
10th March 2005, 03:40 AM
I dont follow it at all... was told at school I was to agro to play team sports and shouldnt play so I never bothered with it, I'll just be a mad axeman!

echnidna
10th March 2005, 12:07 PM

WHO GIVES A FAT RATS CRACK ABOUT ANY FORM OF FOOTBALL OR THE RETARDS WHO FOLLOW IT!

Christopha,
Welcome to the Ubeaut Axe Murderers Club
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Grunt
10th March 2005, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Christopha

Christopha,
Welcome to the Ubeaut Axe Murderers Club

If you all followed football you would have something else to do on weekends other that hacking people to death with axes. I consider following football a kind of comunity service.

Iain
10th March 2005, 03:09 PM
Football is a blood sport, that's why I prefer fly fishing, the only blood letting is usually my right ear on a sloppy backcast http://www.clipart.co.uk/clipart/mazeguy/sports/fishing.gif

Barry_White
10th March 2005, 07:13 PM
Hey, I didnt know Barry White was into Amway!!! :D :D :D

J!
Woodlice

What makes you say that.

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 07:19 PM
I like it both ways. .
We sort of guested that.

Al :D

Woodlice
11th March 2005, 02:18 AM
I went to the mach90 wesite Barry.

J!

gemi_babe
12th March 2005, 05:37 PM
Soccer is now called Football - Australia wide....

I hate AFL... I just finished playing soccer... we came 5th on the ladder. Not bad for a mixed bunch.

I would like to watch more Rugby...

And I haven;t read all this thread so I appologise for not allowing the conversation to flow... :o

craigb
12th March 2005, 05:50 PM
we came 5th on the ladder.

Maybe you'd do better if you played on a pitch? ;) :D :D

Bob Willson
13th March 2005, 10:45 AM

I gave him two greenies for this one. I would have given him three if he'd included cricket in there as well. :D ... So guess which one I voted for?

When I'm at work all I can hear all round me is talk of which horse won a race; what is the score in the test; go the whatevers. Don't any of you people have a life that you can actually live yourselves or can you only live vicariously through watching other people play games.

I personally think that most sport is promoted for the sole purpose of selling things to people who can't think of anything else to do but sit for hours at a time watching other people. Howzat!

Termite
17th March 2005, 04:17 PM
There's 19 other axe murderers on this forum, so have any of you blokes murdered an axe lately? :D

Iain
17th March 2005, 04:25 PM
No, but I've stuffed a chainsaw, does that count...............and it wasn't an option at the top.

Termite
17th March 2005, 04:30 PM
No, but I've stuffed a chainsaw, does that count...............and it wasn't an option at the top.
A chainsaw stuffer eh? That'll give the Kiwi's something to think about. :D

Iain
17th March 2005, 04:41 PM
Make sure you get the right end, get it wrong and it's sharper than sheeps teeth.......................so I'm told :rolleyes:
Thinking, maybe if Neil changed his NZ polishes to Ewe Beaut he may sell more :p

Termite
17th March 2005, 04:46 PM
Thinking, maybe if Neil changed his NZ polishes to Ewe Beaut he may sell more :p
ROFL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Grunt
17th March 2005, 05:16 PM
There's 19 other axe murderers on this forum, so have any of you blokes murdered an axe lately?

:D
This is why axes are an endangered species.

Kris.Parker1
17th March 2005, 05:28 PM
Up the mighty Bombers... Sheeds and his boys will be better than ever this year.

Grunt
17th August 2005, 10:50 PM
Just bring this back to the top as it's getting to the business end of the season.

Studley 2436
17th August 2005, 11:01 PM
I have two questions. Why are The Crows in italics? I killed my drill yesterday. Just stopped cheap thing. Does that count in the axe murderer option?

Studley

Grunt
17th August 2005, 11:05 PM
You are a sick man and voted for the Crows. The italics indicate your vote.

Studley 2436
17th August 2005, 11:09 PM
Sick people vote for Collingwood Grunt

Studley

The Crows must be in Italics because they are going to win the flag

Grunt
17th August 2005, 11:16 PM
Them too.

Eagles for my mind.

Studley 2436
18th August 2005, 12:24 AM
Maybe but it has been one of those years. How many upsets so far? Pretty hard to pick anyone, I guess Sydney Adelaide St Kilda and The Eagles are the stand out teams right now.

Studley

Waldo
18th August 2005, 11:09 AM
G'day,

If I like Rugby League then OK, I'm strange.

But what gets my goat down here in Vic is that if a Junior Grade AFL kid scratches his knee it's the first story on the news, especially on 7. Doesn't mater what else is happening in the world or if the sun has blown up, we always have to know what a bunch of kids are doing. Needless to say I hate the AFL season and can't wait for it to end and for Melbourne to get back to the real world and see that life is more than just a red footy. :mad:

Still, hope the Lions or any other team wins the Final, other than some boofhead team down here. AFL is a national game or so the cry is but you can't have a Final outside of Melbourne - for that I think AFL deserves what it gets. Heck, next year the State of Origin Final will be played in Melb, and they only have one team in the cmop', sound familiar? (and the State of Origin has nothing to do with Vic', go figure :confused: )

Might live in Melb', but I'm a Qldr and always will be. :D

Ooh this one will stir up some contention - can't wait. :)

Waldo
18th August 2005, 02:44 PM
Awww come on, no bites yet. :(

LineLefty
18th August 2005, 02:48 PM
Rugby league is crap mate, no two ways about it. When your neck is thicker than your head, your in trouble.

Run, tackle, run, tackle, run, tackle, run tackle, kick, run, tackle punch!

Go Cats!

Waldo
18th August 2005, 02:50 PM
G'day Linelefty,

I agree with you and I used to hate League - but you know what it's the only football where you get to see decent hit ups and a bit of biff - don't get that is woosy AFL.

Zed
18th August 2005, 02:51 PM
"rugby league forever" he says draped in the flag of the NRL with his windswept hair unkemptly blowing out behind him. His heavily muscled arms covered in he-man tattoo's, stubble glistening through the crinkles of his manly mono-brow.

"AFL, Soccor & Union are for poof's" he scoffs loudly at the inbred southerners as he raises his mighty man-fist to the air in defiance to the gay-boy sports.

"On this item I am as one with the Queenslanders" he chortles as he bashes the pretenders to his crown with the mighty bronzed quit for life cup.

Waldo
18th August 2005, 02:54 PM
G'day Zed,

What words, what prose! Bunch of AFL pinkos and a spade is a spade. :eek:

Clinton1
18th August 2005, 03:16 PM
Waldo, Waldo, Waldo...

All I can say is.....

CAAAAAAAAAAARN the 'Pies.

No Hopawatzit finger pokers in AFL.

Waldo
18th August 2005, 03:22 PM
G'day Clinton1,

Yeah let's see 'em win and stick it to the Vic' teams. Go the Lions, go the Crows. (said without a shout as I can't get too excited for it all)

Now the V8s on the other hand or our Aussie guy, Webber...

LineLefty
18th August 2005, 03:22 PM
No seriously, I watched a lot of rugby league and rughy when I was in Canberra for 6 years. The constant off-field shenanigans really turned me off. The players seem to be mindless idiots.

Yes there are moments of brilliance, try saving tackles, fancy footwork, busting runs. To me it's just all to repetitive. Everything happens in a straight line and it's all very controlled.

AFL on the other hand is one of the only true 'freestyle' field sports in the world. To the unitiated it seems unstructured but once you understand it the frrestyle nature makes it the fastest evolving and most tactically complex sport in the world.

In soccer for example theres only a number of ways you can score attack the goal, a wide cross, the long high pass to the single defender etc, Everytime they come up the field the'yre looking to do the same thing.

The game of AFL is constantly changing with different play styles, dominant players creating tactics around them and then other teams counteracting. Look at Pagans paddock, the flood, corridor, loose man in defense, all small forward line, all tall forward line, etc

I know theres different styles in other sports but it's the freestyle nature of AFL whch allows such diversity.

Zed
18th August 2005, 03:28 PM
LineLefty - your post makes me gag! have you had a recent leftbotomy ?

free flowing, evolving.... Pah!

As the frenchman said in Holy Grail - "I fffaaRt! in you general direktion!" :D

HappyHammer
18th August 2005, 03:29 PM
In soccer for example theres only a number of ways you can score attack the goal, a wide cross, the long high pass to the single defender etc, Everytime they come up the field the'yre looking to do the same thing.

You obviously haven't watched much soccer lefty because as long as you don't foul another player or touch the ball with your hands you can use any means available to you to score a goal. It's certainly not restricted to a handful of tactics as you suggest above. Whilst AFL is your preference it's not for the majority of sports fans around the world.:D

The game of AFL is constantly changing with different play styles, dominant players creating tactics around them and then other teams counteracting.

As is soccer.

HH.

LineLefty
18th August 2005, 04:14 PM
How have the tactics of football changed over the last 20-30 years? I'm not saying they havent, I just don't know.

HappyHammer
18th August 2005, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure they have dramatically. There have been minor rule changes and the influence of technology in regards to the boots and balls. The variation in tactics is demonstrated in football by the very different approaches taken by the different managers and coaches. A great deal of thought goes into how well different players complement one another on the field and what formation you play. It used to be almost exclusively 4-4-2 but in the game today you'll see 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 as well as 4-4-2 and some other more desperate formations as the game unfolds. There are also some individuals who are given free reign to wander around the field with no fixed position which needs to be accomadated by the remainder of the team to maintain balance. It's as tactical a game as AFL just with fewer players on a smaller field.

HH.

boban
18th August 2005, 04:38 PM
Beat me to it HH.

Where do they think that the AFL idea comes from.

Its basically a football type game except that you can use your hands as well and still get a point for missing. Maybe thats what Lefty means when he says there are more ways to score...

LineLefty
18th August 2005, 04:52 PM
Boban,

No it's not, lets put all parochialism aside here for the minute. AFL is very, very, different from football. The offside rule in football is the key difference and the defining limitation around which tactics are derived. AFL on theo ther hand involves moving the ball from contest to contest rather than kicking it ahead and letting players run onto it. (Although that is changing)

I didn't denegrate football, I think it's a great game. Let me give yuo an example of a tatical battle in a recent AFL game.

Mathey PaAvlich is 190cm, strong and very fast. At each centre bounce he started in the middlfield meaning that a smaller, faster player was his direct opponent. At will, he would float down forward where his height, combined with the other tall forwards was too much for that smaller player causing massive problems for their defense. In response the other coach moved his second (tall) ruckman from the bench to the the forward line meaning that a tall player was sucked from fremantle's forwadline to cover him. This left an extra tall to cover Pavlisch when he came forward. His response? park his bum at centrehalf forward where that the tall couldnt run with him and the smaller player couldnt out mark him.

Complex? Yes. Evolving? Yes. And fantastic to follow if you now the game. I'm sure football has similar ebbs and flows. As do most sports, except league.

HappyHammer
18th August 2005, 05:02 PM
The offside rule in football is the key difference and the defining limitation around which tactics are derived. AFL on theo ther hand involves moving the ball from contest to contest rather than kicking it ahead and letting players run onto it. (Although that is changing).

I'm not sure the offside rule in soccer is the key difference although it is an element that adds to the tactical complexity of soccer. The key difference would be the handling of the ball and that feet are predominantly used as opposed to hands in AFL.

There are man on man contests in soccer as well in midfield and also between forwards and defenders. Many players play with the ball also and it's not simply a case of kicking it from one spot to another, I don't think this is what you meant but that's how it came across.

How about we agree that soccer is as tactically diverse as AFL and let it rest, I'm just waiting for someone to pickup your comment on League;) :D

HH.

boban
18th August 2005, 05:06 PM
Seriously I follow all the football codes, although without any real in depth knowledge of union or AFL. All the codes can be boring at times, but thats how it goes.

Kicking it ahead and running after it is what was played in England quite some time ago. If you watch good teams play, possession is the key. They go back, forward, and across until an opening is found. Yes there is the offside rule. Without it though the scoring frequency would be a lot higher. Pros and cons there I guess.

For mine the two games are extremely similar just as gaelic football is similar to both these codes.

BTW - Pavlich sounds like another good Croat boy.

LineLefty
18th August 2005, 05:53 PM
You're right Hammer, there are both tactically rich, my point was that AFL is not derivative of Football. Boban, Pavlich is a good Croat boy, you should see his schnoz (thats his nose :rolleyes: ).

I understand all to well that Croats take their soccer seriously. We signed up for a kickandgiggle season of indoor soccer once. Little did we know that the other 7 teams were all 'ethnic based' The greek team ,the Italian Team, the Indo Team the Croats, Lebanese, Turks. Lets just say that the Croats took the game rather seriously :)

boban
18th August 2005, 06:06 PM
Lets just say that the Croats took the game rather seriously :)

No fun in losing is there. And they're worse in groups.

You should have seen what it was like at school at lunch time. No-one wanted to lose. It makes me laugh now.

Zed
18th August 2005, 08:21 PM
Ja sam dobar Hrvastski covjek ali moram cazat,nemosem gledat wogball. AFL ne valja zato I ne razumiem takvu igru, i rugby union je previse prljavo za mene, previse kickaju za points.

League however is far more appealing to me. and dont bad mouth sterlo, mick cronin or ray price or i'll have to do an aegboat and hunt you down :D

And yes Lefty I know you havnt had a leftbotomy or a sidebottomy either, however the gushing like a pimply teenage girl.... hmmm... :D

boban
18th August 2005, 08:48 PM
Come world cup time and I watch virtually every game. Contemplating going to Germany, visiting some relatives and catching the action in 2006. I played both football and league (at school). I found league so easy to play compared to football but found that as you got older the players got dirtier. Otherwise I like it.

Ja sam sa tebom na rubgy - to ye bas govno.

Go the eels. Tough test this weekend.