PDA

View Full Version : Deep Hollowing

wheelinround
21st July 2012, 11:41 AM
The Moulthrop family of woodturners - YouTube

hughie
21st July 2012, 07:51 PM
Interesting Ray, not allot of third generation turners around.

Kidbee
21st July 2012, 09:24 PM
Ed Mouldrop stuff takes your breath away. I remember reading years ago about how he stablised his green pieces with PEG.

cookie48
22nd July 2012, 03:47 PM
I think that is great that his family is keeping his actions alive. Thannks for showing that.

ticklingmedusa
23rd July 2012, 09:42 AM
For anyone interested the entire episode / series can be viewed online by using the link provided below.
I think DVDs can be ordered as well.
The scope is broad and turners are not the only crafters featured but shared themes
and maybe even inspiration can be found within.
tm
Craft in America | Watch Online | PBS Video (http://video.pbs.org/program/craft-in-america/)

hughie
23rd July 2012, 10:30 AM
It would be nice if the appreciation of turned wood were as high as it is in the USA. The appraisal clip I watch suggested vaues of up to 30k for Ed's bowls and his son around 1500.
One wonders what it would take to arouse the Australian public interest in turned wood to higher levels than what it is at the moment.

wheelinround
23rd July 2012, 10:54 AM
It would be nice if the appreciation of turned wood were as high as it is in the USA. The appraisal clip I watch suggested vaues of up to 30k for Ed's bowls and his son around 1500.
One wonders what it would take to arouse the Australian public interest in turned wood to higher levels than what it is at the moment.

Hughie I guess it would mean killing the Aussie "I can do that" attitude.

Homes here are no longer big enough for starters to fit such large items into. Some dopey government and developers decided small was best they could triple their money. Hence we have high mortgage and rent rates. Oh and Carbon tax will kill off spending on such luxury items even more.

ticklingmedusa
23rd July 2012, 03:01 PM

Great thought provoking comment Hughie.
I thought Australian interest in turnery was close to
the interest here but perhaps I was more focused on the craft itself .
What I find encouraging is that the craft (or art if you please) of turning seems to be alive and well
and not destined to become another lost art.
Maybe as we continue to develop & refine our medium consumer interest will evolve
to a higher level.
We will probably always compete with places like Ikea & Walmart or their equivalent
when it comes to utility pieces but as "artful" turning develops hopefully more galleries
& museums everywhere will take notice.
Decades ago I took an art history course and the instructor told us about something
he called "The Dead Artist Syndrome" ...
Art values almost always increase once the artist is dead.
He was discussing painting & sculpture mainly but it would be interesting
to learn if it holds true with turned work as well.
The senior Moulthrop died a few years back , he pioneered tools & techniques and
compiled an awesome inventory of great work.
It might be morbid but it would be interesting to know if / how values shifted after his passing.
In the meantime it's exciting to see the craft grow and stretch out in so many different directions.
Thanks for posting wheelinround.
John

hughie
25th July 2012, 10:23 AM
With out a doubt the economic conditions play a big part on our buying habits. The general state of the world after the GFC is not so encouraging and theres a lot of pessimism out there.

The under lying problem as I see it, is that we dont have as a nation any great appreciation for turned art. At best it falls into the realm of home decoration. We see evidence of this of the many home decor stores in the malls, many of who stock lost mass produced wooden decor pieces for the mass market.

I often cruise around them to see whats in vogue at the moment and grab a few images on my mob. phone for later.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel with the rise of a few galleries here and there. But stock moves a snails pace on the good days, ask those who have pieces in to the gallery. I also note that the wood shows are often preaching to the converted and there seems to be a only a few collectors in attendance.

wheelinround
25th July 2012, 02:11 PM
I am incorrect there are galleries which do sell of course many are strategically placed others well out of the way.

Makers and Artists | Bungendore Wood Works Gallery (http://bwoodworks.com.au/makers-and-artists)

Tassie has many

Up and down the coast of NSW along old routes one such stretch is from Stroud through to Taree dotted with many artisans galleries. Coffs Harbour region, New England region also has a number. South coast in various areas many are all kept supplied by local woodies.