PDA

View Full Version : Hey

shortwoodturner
11th March 2005, 04:09 PM
Hey,
Im new to the wood turning right now im making pens. I now how to do spindle turning but I want to now how to make a bowl. Is it something I can teach myself, or do I need to take a class. I would like to see some pictures of bowls so please post.
Thanks,
Michael

Gingermick
11th March 2005, 06:21 PM
IMO the basic bowl shape is easier to turn than most spindles, except for maybe a cricket stump. But you need bowl gouges. Spindle roughing and detail gouges dont like bowls very much. (So I was informed a month ago, after bending my tool rest on a monumental catch with R gouge on bowl blank) I've only been at this since December.
The other thing I've learnt recently is that you dont put a finish on your bowl when there is still marks or rough grain. Otherwise you look back at a nice bit of wood and think; "If only I'd sanded for 5 more minutes"
I'm attempting to make some candlesticks soon, but must do about 100 beads on waste first to practice.
But no time.
Perhaps this is why woodturning is mostly associated with retirees; It just occupies all your spare time and, hence, gets you in trouble with SWMBO. (For not spending said time with her)
Check out a bowl finish thread in this forum to see one of my efforts. (suffering abovementioned mark problems)
Mick

smidsy
11th March 2005, 08:57 PM
Hei Michael,
The main technique is in how to correctly use the chisels so you don't get dig in and the like - that is fairly standard whether you're turning pens or bowls.

Some would disagree but I don't think there is such a thing as the "right" shape for a bowl, obviously the bowl has to be stable and structurally sound but other than those two criteria I think it is very much a matter of personal taste.

There a Canadian guy called Darrell Feltmate who has a website with some great information on turning - check out:
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/index.shtml

Cheers
Paul

Gingermick
12th March 2005, 12:05 AM
Darrell's web page is in my favorites.
I always have trouble with beads. The skew jumps back away from it.
I suppose I found the extra weight in the bowl gouge helpful.
Things are going smoothly now, except for this splalted leptospermum bowl that I turned the bottom out of.
Mick