PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Salt and Pepper Grinders

macca2
11th March 2005, 10:45 PM
I am turning a set of 10" salt and pepper grinders from Jarrah and need some help with the best finish.
I have used Shellawax in the past and like the finish it gives but would like to know the best way to apply it and what to a use before and after the Shellawax to give a long lasting finish, given that the grinders will be used on a daily basis.

Thanks
Macca

gatiep
12th March 2005, 12:03 AM
Before------Neill suggests that it goes onto raw wood sanded to minimum 600 grit.

After-------Nothing, except perhaps another application, or burnish it again but using EEE cream.

How to apply--------Apply cream or the liquid ( as the grinders will prob be less than 75 mm diameter ) while stationary, with a soft cloth. Make sure that it covers all the wood.
Spinn up to maximum speed and burnish with the same damp cloth, applying pressure and moving the cloth sideways very slowly till all is burnished. Now burnish with a clean dry soft cloth as above.

After--------either redo the above step if you feel a need to or apply EEE. I usually apply it while the project is spinning, again with a soft cloth and keep burnishing. The more you burnish it, the better the finish will be.

On any finishing--------get The polishers Handbook by the Honourable Neil Ellis ( the owner of this board and Shellawax brewer ). and that will give you a lot of valuable info. Use it as a reference guide.

Have a good weekend

:)

DanP
12th March 2005, 01:15 AM
Macca,

I use thinned hard shellac and build up a few coats. Allow to dry then a light sand with 600 - 1000. Then Shithot waxtik. Comes up a treat and mine are still in good nick after daily use for about a year.

gatiep
12th March 2005, 01:30 AM
Very good method Dan.

:)

rsser
12th March 2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah Dan. Good option, given how coarse-grained Jarrah can be.

Wonder how you'd go just with the waxstick.

barnsey
12th March 2005, 04:48 PM
I'm inclined to support gatiep's approach - I love the ubeaut stuff - the EEE cream is especially good for finishing :D :D

The 10 inch grinders I made that wound up in my own kitchen about 3 years ago were finished with organoil however. It doesnt give the sheen that ubeaut does but they still look as good as the day they came off the lathe. They were brushbox (pepper) and hoop pine(salt) ;)

FWIW

Neil I look forward to receipt of the reward for the unsolicited advertising above :D :D :D :D

rsser
12th March 2005, 05:39 PM
Good choice of timbers Barnsey, and doesn't the brush box bugger your tool edge in short order!

(But both are finer grained than Jarrah, so the oil finish is a better option is my guess).

DanP
12th March 2005, 05:56 PM
Seems like an opportunity to show off.

Pic 1: Mango 10". Live in my kitchen.

Pic 2: Redgum 10". Gift for parents this Christmas.

Dan

rsser
12th March 2005, 07:26 PM
Class act Dan.

macca2
12th March 2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice fellas. Probably go with Shellawax (it's in the shed) and give it more than one application.
Good stuff Dan, I hope mine turn out as good.

Macca

barnsey
13th March 2005, 02:20 PM
Good on ya Macca2,

Show us your finished job if you can :)

Jamie

macca2
13th March 2005, 06:00 PM
Jamie..........The Jarrah I am using was a 1800mm lenght of 75mm x 75mm from a salvage yard. $5 worth. I burnt a sliver this morning and it burnt with a white ash so I think I have a piece of Karri. Not to worry I will push on and see how it goes. Will post some pics later.

Macca
PS anybody out there turned Karri???

macca2
23rd March 2005, 04:33 PM
Well here is the result of the Jarrah that turned out to a piece of Karri.

Macca

Gingermick
3rd April 2005, 03:18 PM
EEE then shellawax cream (The liquid hasn;t got here yet). Came up well but that didn't help me indentify the wood. Does anyone know what it might be?
Now I need to get a much lighter coloured wood for the salt.
Cheers
Mick