PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Noise

jess22
13th March 2005, 02:06 PM
This is my first post, so please forgive any mistakes.

I currently have a Triton WC200 which my neighbours have decided is too noisy. Are table saws with induction motors much quiter then the Triton?

Carbatec currently have a 12" saw (KS12K) on special, does anyone have any experience with this saw?

I am also looking at buying a thicknesser to for some skip dressed Marri I have, but again am not sure of the noise factors with this equipment.

Any information on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

johna
13th March 2005, 02:09 PM
a proper table saw is alot quieter than the triton as the triton will be as noisy as the saw you put in it.

I had a triton then bought a jet table saw and i couldn't believe how quiet it was

DanP
13th March 2005, 02:16 PM
A Thicknesser will be louder than the Triton though. Use it during the appropriate hours and have some consideration for your neighbours. If they still sook then tell em to get stuffed. Make sure you're in the right before doing that though. Don't use the loud tools for hours on end.

Dan

craigb
13th March 2005, 03:32 PM
What Dan said.

Do unto others etc.

A "proper" (sorry tritoneers) table saw is way quiter to use. You don't even have to use muffs when you are using it.

They have other advantages over tritons too.

fletty
13th March 2005, 07:59 PM
Jess22,
Totally support johna's reply. I moved from Triton (with an Hitachi saw) also to Jet. As the ad's say, I couldn't tell the saw was on!
Ah thicknessers, now there's another story! I have got used to planning my work so that thicknessing is done on a saturday morning with all of my timber and the thickness required laid out and noted. I find that with planning, I can do a months worth of thicknessing in about 30 minutes. I am looking covetously at larger thicknessers with induction motors but I fear that will destroy the only discipline in my life,
Fletty

Zed
13th March 2005, 09:04 PM
jane has promised to kick me 2K to buy the holz profi 310 STP-V longbed combi once her bonus comes through :) - I'll still need 2K of me own dosh though. :(

I'll be screaming like a banshee - evidently the sucker can remove 8mm in one pass. I look forward to showing this off to some of youse...

I only have the local high shcool to worry about, bugger them!!! - my other neighbour is ok - I help him on his projects so I should get no complaints from that side - besides he's a god botherer so hes mostly off praying on a sunday morning.... excellent....

http://www.holzprofi.com.au/

jess22
14th March 2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I suppose it is going to be cheaper to buy a quiter saw then new neighbours!

Iain
14th March 2005, 08:58 AM
8mm in one pass, sounds one hell of a machine, that would have to scream :eek:

Zed
14th March 2005, 11:10 AM
thats what i'm hopin' :D

Grunt
14th March 2005, 02:01 PM
You don't even have to use muffs when you are using it.

I would still use some sort of hearing protection when using any power tools. Hearing damage is cumulative and if you don't look after your ears everyone will need to SHOUT at you to make themselves heard.

craigb
14th March 2005, 02:03 PM
I would still use some sort of hearing protection when using any power tools. Hearing damage is cumulative and if you don't look after your ears everyone will need to SHOUT at you to make themselves heard.

PARDON ? :D

Woodlice
14th March 2005, 02:07 PM
Or you could keep the triton and wear your protective gear while the neighbors are shouting over the fence :D

Its important to have options...

J!

markharrison
15th March 2005, 09:00 PM
Iain: The biggest problem with a full 8mm pass would be to have a dust collector to keep up!

Iain
16th March 2005, 07:33 AM
A front end loader should be able to cope :D

Stubchain
16th March 2005, 09:30 AM
8mm in one pass, seems a waste of material to me, how about using a 3mm blade and saving the 5mm cut off, or am I just being tight, no I'm not Scottish.