PDA

View Full Version : new lathe

wayne 673
2nd August 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi have not visited for a while, Currently own a cheap GMC Lathe but am now looking at upgrading to better lathe, Just looking for suggestions and thoughts on current Lathes on the market. I currently only do small projects but will look at increasing size of projects once i have a better Lathe.

Skewturn
2nd August 2012, 09:44 PM
Hi Wayne
I have a Nova 1624 lathe I find it very user friendly and big enough to do those slightly larger pieces. It still going for around $1200 to $1300 at Carbatec. Only thing I would say is the stand legs are short so you may need to build a bench top for it to sit on.
I hope this helps.
Cheers Skewturn:2tsup:

hughie
3rd August 2012, 01:06 AM
Well if you can figure out where your going with your turning and what you want to turn etc. Then set your budget and your half way there or at apoint when you will have a few models in mind. :2tsup:
From this point its easy to offer advice, mind you what ever the cost of the lathe is it will end up being the smallest in the end. :D

wayne 673
3rd August 2012, 10:42 AM
thank you for your reply

hughie
3rd August 2012, 01:29 PM
Wayne, If your budget is a bit tight try second hand. At the moment theres a few on Ebay that are old but good makes with plenty of capacity and after driving a GMC they will feel like a Mercedes :)

wayne 673
3rd August 2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for reply did not think about 2nd hand will have look