PDA

View Full Version : Blueing - A revealer of truths

Anorak Bob
6th August 2012, 07:49 PM
I had been talking to Gregory Q earlier today about how in the days before surface plate ownership it was easy to be ignorant of your machine and your machining deficiencies. Sort of out of sight out of mind.

This morning I thought while I had my little CarbaTec granite plate out I would check the upper section of my swivel base.The bottom face of the thing blued up like a Mohawk's haircut.:o I was starting to feel a bit sick about what was going to be revealed when I attempted to blue the all important upper face. I was thinking that my cutting the tee slot and the subsequent thinning of the cast iron ( the base was originally about 40 mm thick ) had caused the base to bow. If that was the case I reckon the project would have made its way into the Sulo bin. Turned out the top was OK . Blued evenly. What I think has happened is that when I clamped it to the faceplate there has been distortion due to there being a recessed section above the tee slot. Pulling it down has lifted the sides and its why the sides are lower than the middle after turning and removal from the faceplate.

I would never have anticipated that the cast iron would bend to that extent. Maybe a fraction of a pussy whisker but enough to prevent flatness.

Out with the DTI and the Sandvik scraper. See how much I can remember from April's 'fest.

BT

Stustoys
6th August 2012, 09:07 PM
Hi Bob,
See, steel is as bad as wood, moves all over the place.
Did you put an indicator on the corner to see how much needs to come off?
Oh and check all four corners to see how close they are?
Still, better to be scraping the bottom than the top.
Did you blue your faceplate?:D

Stuart

Bryan
6th August 2012, 09:24 PM
Chorus: Can he fix it? Yes he can!

Ueee
6th August 2012, 09:59 PM
"Bob the blue-er"

Very supprised to see the flex....but than I guess you can twist a lathe bed. At least you know it will be flat!

Anorak Bob
6th August 2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Bob,
See, steel is as bad as wood, moves all over the place.
Did you put an indicator on the corner to see how much needs to come off?
Oh and check all four corners to see how close they are?
Still, better to be scraping the bottom than the top.
Did you blue your faceplate?:D

Stuart

Stu, if the top was out of whack the next whack would have been it bouncing off green plastic. Remember all the prolonged rooting around getting those bevels correct.:no:

As far as the faceplate goes, well you can guess what I am expecting.:o
The dispelling of more illusions.

BT

.RC.
7th August 2012, 09:04 AM
You just need to buy one of these Bob :)

FINISH GRINDING OF RAM HEAD.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvG6_ofyfNw&feature=youtu.be)

Anorak Bob
7th August 2012, 10:56 AM
You just need to buy one of these Bob :)

FINISH GRINDING OF RAM HEAD.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvG6_ofyfNw&feature=youtu.be)

There's always something more we need. Sadly, I couldn't fit that honey in my shed. I have trouble enough fitting myself in my shed for that matter. Now you've got plenty of room RC. You could acquire one and we could pay you to do our grinding.There would be no shortage of work. I'd even crate up the Hercus and send it up to you.:U

.RC.
7th August 2012, 01:16 PM
Yes I have the room but alas the ones available are located in some far flung country and they weigh a bit as well..

I believe the one in that vid is the same brand as one of the ones Marko drives in Melbourne... The work is stationary and the grinding head moves..

MuellerNick
8th August 2012, 10:08 PM
You just need to buy one of these Bob

I always wanted one of these.
Shapers that size are available quite cheap. You "only" have to move them out of the shop and get them to your place. That's where the costs skyrocket.

I'd scrape that in for 3 month, install a grinding head and earn 1000 € a day. :cool:

If that beast would have 3 m travel, there would be enough jobs.
I asked for a bid on a small dovetail grinding (600 long). They wanted 100 € / hour and estimated 4 hours (what in fact would have been 2 hours).

Nick

Greg Q
8th August 2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah, the cost of the grinding machine plus operator seems to rear its ugly head when asking for a quote these days despite the fact that large bed way grinders are a relic.

A few years ago I got a $2500 quote to regrind my 10x20 lathe. $250 per inch has to be the highest fee for hobby entertainment ever levied.:o

No?

Greg

PDW
9th August 2012, 09:39 AM
A few years ago I got a $2500 quote to regrind my 10x20 lathe. $250 per inch has to be the highest fee for hobby entertainment ever levied.:o

No?

Greg

No - but I'm not speaking from personal experience, mind....

PDW