PDA

View Full Version : Boring book report

morrisman
6th August 2012, 08:59 PM
No, it isn't a book report about boring .

I received my copy of the 1967 edition of : Metals Handbook, published by the American Society of Metals, Volume 3 . Machining . This is a massive read . It is in the form of a encycopedea with a fancy gold embossed blue cover . Not ideal for a learner , it's heavy reading .

Also got a little 1930's book aimed at amateur machinists : Metal Turning and Screwcutting by Percival Marshall , cost was 3 shillings and sixpence :?. Many pics of Drummond lathes and machining is explained with clear step by step drawings . A great book for a novice . Mike

Anorak Bob
6th August 2012, 09:05 PM
Gee Mike,

You'll end up being the most learned book machinist amongst us.:U

Ha Ha.

BT

morrisman
6th August 2012, 09:22 PM
Gee Mike,

You'll end up being the most learned book machinist amongst us.:U

Ha Ha.

BT

Bob

You have put the bait on the hook, but I'm not biting :no:

Apparently the little book was first published in 1901 ..Yikes . the lathe pictured inside the cover is treadle powered , no electwicity needed, now thats a green lathe .

Anorak Bob
6th August 2012, 11:25 PM
Bob

You have put the bait on the hook, but I'm not biting :no:

Apparently the little book was first published in 1901 ..Yikes . the lathe pictured inside the cover is treadle powered , no electwicity needed, now thats a green lathe .

And it won't be me hauling you in. I'm just another learner book machinist.

bwal74
7th August 2012, 07:47 AM
Hi,

I don't know why but I like the older text books better than the new books/internet refs. It must be the way the authors used to write (either that or I am getting old). My old Southbend manual (circa 1950's version) and Hercus text book of Turning (c1980's version) are my favorite reads.

Cheers Ben

franco
7th August 2012, 01:21 PM
Also got a little 1930's book aimed at amateur machinists : Metal Turning and Screwcutting by Percival Marshall , cost was 3 shillings and sixpence :?. Many pics of Drummond lathes and machining is explained with clear step by step drawings . A great book for a novice . Mike

Mike,

I have a few more in the same series by Percival Marshall, one being "Beginners Guide to the Lathe" - very basic indeed. If your price was right, the original purchaser of mine got stung - he was charged a ha'penny more from Walther and Stevenson in Sydney according to the price sticker which is still on the cover. It gets worse though - the original cover price when it came out in in 1924 was two shillings and sixpence. I noticed that Plough Books had it for sale a few years ago. The price was no longer three shillings and sixpence! I bought it for interest's sake to compare it with the original edition. Most of the text is the same, but some photos have been added and illustrations updated.

I also have the original "Simple Lathe Accessories" by the same author, probably published about the same time. This one is very dated - time has passed it by. Don't know if it has been reprinted, but it would be of limited use even to a modern beginner. It's interesting reading though.

Frank.