PDA

View Full Version : Calipers

Bryan
7th August 2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/167475d1303094276-starrett-planer-shaper-gauge-n0-246-scotland-made-b-s-019-large-.jpg

I'm looking at internal calipers on ebay. Does the size given specify the max opening? Any comments on firm joint v spring type?

welder
7th August 2012, 10:21 PM
With my limited experience I would go for the round leg spring type caliper I recently picked some up on eBay uk quite cheaply.

Steamwhisperer
7th August 2012, 10:25 PM
Hi Bryan,
Size is the basic length not opening and like Andre says, definitely go for the round leg spring type. That's the type I use and wouldn't go past them.
Starrett are very good.

Phil

Ueee
7th August 2012, 10:31 PM
I got 2 roung legs recently off uk ebay too. My theorie is that the screw is centered on the spring and tips and does not try to twist the legs like the flat ones do. I paid 5 quid each plus 8 quid for postage. There are some on USA ebay for $20-30 but i reackon thats a bit much. Tool exchange has some too i think.

Anorak Bob
7th August 2012, 11:50 PM
I got 2 roung legs recently off uk ebay too. My theorie is that the screw is centered on the spring and tips and does not try to twist the legs like the flat ones do. I paid 5 quid each plus 8 quid for postage. There are some on USA ebay for $20-30 but i reackon thats a bit much. Tool exchange has some too i think.
Come on Ueee, 20 bucks for quality isn't stiff. What are you going to spend the dough on otherwise? :U

I reckon US Ebay is your best source of quality calipers. There are brands other than Starrett, Lufkin and Brown and Sharpe worthy of consideration, Nork of Los Angeles and Union of Orange, Massachusetts are but two.

BT

ps, There was and could still be a very nice pair of Moore and Wright round leg calipers on Ebay UK two days ago. They looked good. If I wasn't calipered up I would have bought them.

Ueee
8th August 2012, 01:18 AM
Hi Bob,
I need enough money left over to buy the odd bottle of single malt.:D
It's only a bit much compared to what they seem to go for I'm the UK. I think toolexchange ones are around $20 or $30 too, can't check or provide a link now, my pc crashed (again) and I'm on my phone.

Bryan
8th August 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi Bryan,
Size is the basic length not opening and like Andre says, definitely go for the round leg spring type. That's the type I use and wouldn't go past them.
Starrett are very good.

Phil

So if I'm working in the 8" range, what's the best size to get? It looks like they'd work best at less than full extension. I can only find roundies in smaller sizes. I'm a bit jaded with postage from the states.

Steamwhisperer
8th August 2012, 05:36 AM
So if I'm working in the 8" range, what's the best size to get? It looks like they'd work best at less than full extension. I can only find roundies in smaller sizes. I'm a bit jaded with postage from the states.

Hi Bryan,
If you are working in the 8" range I would probably look at the 8" calipers. Dividers are different of course as you are marking out a radius. With calipers making a direct measurement I would assume their size would be close to the maximum they could read. I will check the ones I have today and report back.

Phil

Steamwhisperer
8th August 2012, 08:22 AM
What about these Bryan,
I'm referring to the trammels.:D

Phil

Bryan
8th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Phil, with the right points the trammels would do the job nicely.
Maybe I should just knock something up to get this job done.
Curse the vandal who modified my 8" digi caliper. :B

Greg Q
8th August 2012, 11:57 AM
Bryan, if you can make a point up I have a set with one missing point. They are tours if you want em, and I can post today.

Greg

Bryan
8th August 2012, 02:11 PM
PM sent. :2tsup:

Greg Q
8th August 2012, 03:40 PM
Stupid old phart that I am I can only find half of the pair of trammels. I think Now I remember seeing the other half in the back of our gay cat. I'll ask him next time he sashays in here.

Greg

Bryan
8th August 2012, 04:43 PM
No worries Greg. Good of you to offer anyway, and to spend time looking.
And if the cat has the other piece I'm not sure I want it after all. :wink:

Anorak Bob
8th August 2012, 04:46 PM
Bryan,

If you want and can wait, I can post you my trammel. You can use it then post it back.

BT

Bryan
8th August 2012, 08:54 PM
Bryan,

If you want and can wait, I can post you my trammel. You can use it then post it back.

BT

Thanks Bob, very kind. I might see what I can cobble up on the weekend.