PDA

View Full Version : vfd protection

shamuslan
8th August 2012, 04:59 AM
Hi,

What is everyone using to protect their vfd?I have a Huanyang 2.2kw to run my mill the manual doesn't really tell you what to use.I have an IMO manual that says a mccb or an rcd.Would you use both?Let me know

cheers Shamus

eskimo
8th August 2012, 09:37 AM
dont confuse an RCD with a circuit breaker (CB)

A circuit breaker is designed to trip on a overload condition

A RCD is designed to trip when it senses an imbalance between active and neutral and thus assumes that voltage is passing to earth...that could be you allowing the voltage to pass to earth and so it trips

circuit breaker is all you need to protect the VFD/VSD

and rcd is probably an overkill but you should have one on the switch board anyway for all power outlets protecting your life...which is what an rcd is designed to do

Oldneweng
8th August 2012, 10:11 PM
The circuit breaker back at the switchboard is there to protect the wiring. Case in point. I am about to install a 6mm 2 core + earth cable which will be protected by a 25A circuit breaker. An RCD is also installed prior to the CB. If I managed to find a suitable mill and connect it via a 2.2kw VSD as per Shamus' setup then I would not expect a 25A breaker to do much to protect a 9A VSD. I would fit a fuse to the VSD itself if worried.

Dean

azzrock
10th August 2012, 01:56 PM
hi mate i have a circuit breaker mounted on my lathe on the supply side of the vfd