PDA

View Full Version : which hot glue gun is the best

redturner
8th August 2012, 09:34 AM
hi folks i need some opinions on what hot glue gun is the best to use when glueing small blocks together for turning and any tips on the best way to secure it safely, thanks steve.:australia::2tsup:

Arry
8th August 2012, 01:35 PM
I usually only buy quality tools if I can but 2 weeks ago I bought an Ozito glue gun. Seems to work ok however I have never used any other glue gun to compare it with.

cheers

nalmo
8th August 2012, 01:46 PM
I suspect that the quality of the glue sticks technique used will be of more importance than the gun.

I believe it's advisable to slightly warm pieces to be glued (bring them inside from the cold garage in winter) to prevent glue from cooling too quickly.

I use a Bosch glue gun & glue sticks and have only had problems when pieces are cold and I don't work quickly enough.

mkypenturner
8th August 2012, 05:39 PM
hey red
their is 2 that come to mind for me as i have 4 actually
first is the best its an ARROW brand 100watter really melts the glue properlry and very quick to get up to temp
2nd is also what ken wraight uses its the BOSCH one as it comes with a long tube nozzle to allow you to get into very small areas

*** but the most important thing is to use the YELLOW glue sticks not the crappy plain ones you get from bunnings , the brand of them is bostik

dabbler
8th August 2012, 05:54 PM
Get one with a trigger (allows easier control).
Preferably one you can put on the hook (to keep it out of the way when cooling).
Also preferable to have a built in "stand" (while it's heating and hot).

Can't comment on pre-warming pieces, never noticed any issues but that doesn't invalidate nalmo's comment. However heating some turning pieces can cause issues.

Disagree with the white glue. Esp. for fixing a temporary turning foot. I just use the bulk sticks from $2 shops. Never failed me yet.

OTOH if you plan to turn a kind of laminated piece using holt-melt. Hmmm. Doubt it would survive a roughing gouge. I'd use epoxy but you've got me wondering......
Remember to post pics and your experience if so.

Edit: And not a baby craft one.

orificiam
8th August 2012, 06:10 PM
I too use a Bosch and am very happy with it, I've been using the plain glue sticks without problems.

Cheers Tony.:)

Kidbee
8th August 2012, 08:06 PM
Bosch but buy quality glue sticks.

smiife
8th August 2012, 08:12 PM
hi steve,
i just got one of those cheapies from bunnies which works o.k.:U
i would agree that the quality of the glue sticks being used
would be a more important factor,hope this helps:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

powderpost
8th August 2012, 08:35 PM
Not sure if I read your question correctly. If you are laminating blocks to form a blank to turn, I think you will be very dissappointed with the resulting joints. However, if you are using hot melt to temporarily fix a project to a sacrificial block, the the previous comments are valid.
Jim

China
8th August 2012, 11:44 PM
Bostik TG-4, more expensive than most you get what you pay for

orraloon
9th August 2012, 11:47 AM
I dont know what brand mine is but it works OK. It was a $20 cheapie. I think it is important to get good glue sticks however. I mostly use it for sticking turning blanks to mounting blocks. Clean surfaces and a quick blow from the heat gun before applying the glue.
Regards
John

Osbojo
9th August 2012, 11:47 AM
I tried the Ozito but took it back after it fouled up, I should have known. The heater didn't seem to get hot enough. When I took it back I got the Bosch, haven't looked back since.

redturner
9th August 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone good ideas.:2tsup:

vtbao
10th August 2012, 09:07 AM
Get the big gun for quick heating. I use Bosch and yellow glue sticks.