PDA

View Full Version : A Delicacy from Placentia - Kingmann White MINI-SINE Bar

Anorak Bob
9th August 2012, 12:29 AM
You have to love the place names the Yanks come up with.

This beauty arrived in today's mail. It has a vee-ed base and a floating magnet that allows it to adhere to both flat and cylindrical surfaces. I reckon its neater than Deckel's Sinuslineal. ( photo supplied in an earlier thread by Gregory Q).

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=191757

This little 88mm long device may just be my ticket out of the nasty task of calibrating my swivel base. Just set the angle required, clamp it to the work piece or the swivel base and check it with a DTI. Easy. $43 plus $11.60 shipping ex USA. :2tsup:

BT

Stustoys
9th August 2012, 01:05 AM
Hi BT,
Looks great, like all your tools, just two things.
Did you get some guage blocks also? or do you already have then?
I thought the rollers on sine bars needed to be the same size?(thought I have no math to back that up)

Stuart

Anorak Bob
9th August 2012, 01:19 AM
Hi BT,
Looks great, like all your tools, just two things.
Did you get some guage blocks also? or do you already have then?
I thought the rollers on sine bars needed to be the same size?(thought I have no math to back that up)

Stuart

Stu,

There is an instruction book. It shows the bar being set with blocks, adjustable parallels, a mic and a height gauge. I do have some blokes but widely spaced ie .100 thou increments, not much use for this application. The sine bars I have seen have equal diameter rollers unlike this one.

BT

Abratool
9th August 2012, 06:06 PM
You have to love the place names the Yanks come up with.

This beauty arrived in today's mail. It has a vee-ed base and a floating magnet that allows it to adhere to both flat and cylindrical surfaces. I reckon its neater than Deckel's Sinuslineal. ( photo supplied in an earlier thread by Gregory Q).

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=191757

This little 88mm long device may just be my ticket out of the nasty task of calibrating my swivel base. Just set the angle required, clamp it to the work piece or the swivel base and check it with a DTI. Easy. $43 plus $11.60 shipping ex USA. :2tsup:

BT
Bob
I recall you winning this on Ebay.
A very handy tool.
I can see that its a model 250 but just as a matter of interest, what is the centre distance, when doing the calculations?
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
10th August 2012, 08:58 PM
Bob
I recall you winning this on Ebay.
A very handy tool.
I can see that its a model 250 but just as a matter of interest, what is the centre distance, when doing the calculations?
regards
Bruce

Hello Bruce.,

Centre to centre it is 2.500". The large roll is 0.500", the small 0.300". The bar came with a ragged little instruction book which contains about 25 pages of tables giving the required sizes of blocks for 1 minute increments up to 60 degrees. The reduced roll is to allow the use of more convenient sized blocks starting at 0.100"

I have included a few photos of how I can use it on the swivel base for accurate angle set ups in Chris's Dial Indicator thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/dial-indicator-157005/index2.html#post1534161

Bob.

Anorak Bob
11th August 2012, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a comprehensive gauge block collection.... yet. A few suggestions here showing how to make do.

Ueee
11th August 2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you Bob,
Interesting suggestions for using a mic or height gauge. I guess some blocks and a set of feeler gauges would be a good start. Remember letter and # drill bits too.
Could you make some sort of small jack with as fine a thread as you can to get by till you get more blocks?
A sine bare is pretty high on my list of things to buy.