PDA

View Full Version : sharpening stones......

bob pringle
22nd December 2000, 01:06 PM
I think this is the correct forum.....could members give me some advice on sharpening chisels/turning tools....which is more suitable waterstone, oilstone or "diamond stone" such as ezilaps? Is it worthwhile to invest in a grinder?
Thanks for the help...

Bob

John Saxton
22nd December 2000, 03:50 PM
Hi Bob,it is generally thought a good idea to invest in a ginder for your workshop because as your compliment of tooling grows so does the necessity to have a means to quickly apply an edge to those tools.

There are availabe tool guides that used in conjunctuion with the grinder gives you the angles required for the cutting surface thereby alleviating the necessity for guesswork on your angles in freehand.

As for using stones to hone it becomes a matter of personal choice and there are those that will advocate some are are better than others.I do have all three types and use all of them with equal usefulness in applying an edge.
For plane blades I have both an oil and a diamond which cater well to most blades requirements.
For turning tools I use slipstones with a light kero as a lubricant,also water slipstones are equally effective on turning tools but may have a propensity for leaving water residue on the tool if not dried and possibly leading to rust.
I also use ezi-lap diamond strops for a quick hone for router bits and some turning tools.

There are also ceramic sharpening or honing stones available now but tend to be expensive.

------------------
Johnno

Shane Watson
22nd December 2000, 04:55 PM
Bob,

Mate no doubt people will disagree with me. But I brought a Tormek wet stone grinder. And I love the bloody thing. No doubt if you have been to any of the Working with Wood Shows you would have seen them being demonstrated. Only problem is the price. I got mine before GST so it was purchased tax exempt so I saved a couple hundred..
I have never been good at sharpening my tools. Its an area that has always let me down in my work, so when I could finally afford one of these units, I didn't hesitate. I only wish I brought one years ago.
But in saying all that, I wouldn't recommend one for a hobbiest or part timer woodworker. There just plain to expensive. With the right setup with a good grinder and various stones you will get a good edge. Hell I got by for years, & I am crap at using a grinder and stones! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif
Johnno has already given ya some good advice, But I am sure there will be heaps more to follow! And no doubt it will all be helpful http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers And Merry Christmas!!

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Iain
22nd December 2000, 05:31 PM
I did not get a Tormek but I did get a Record

200S from Carbatec, they have been taken over by ATC and they are being sold dirt cheap ($250). They are made in Sweden and I suspect theu could be made by Tormsk. Give Carbatec a call and see if there are any left.

Jeff
25th December 2000, 04:46 AM
Sharp tools are good! I use a set of diamond hones to touch up my tools, but have found every so often (depending on everything!) I need to give 'em a good grind to restore the hollow grind profile. The Tormek is top of the line, but costly. Something similar will do as well probably. This one may surprise ya: I often use the "medium" sanding disc on my Dremel tool to clean up the faces of my tools. Also, I can put an awfully sharp edge on with a flat hand file and touch it up with the diamond hones for a cut that is downright scary. Think about how tools have been sharpened for centuries without all the expensive gadgets out there, and, most of all when you use a grinder, remember not to overheat the tool whilst grinding away. Bottom line, find a method that is easy for you, gives a super sharp edge, and be prepared to do it frequently!

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

JT
6th January 2001, 09:01 PM
I have a grinder and use a felt buffing wheel with some compound and it does the job fine, they are sold through carbatec and the shaped one costs a fair bit but does do a good job!