PDA

View Full Version : metric slotting/ slitting saw sources

Michael G
12th August 2012, 09:06 PM
I'm looking for a metric slitting saw, 5mm wide (I'm not even sure they are called slitting saws above about 3mm, but you know what I mean). I want to make around 2m+ of 5mmx5mm slot in pieces of steel. 3/16 is not big enough as a piece of 5mm flat needs to sit in the slot and I'm trying to avoid having to do multiple passes (time).
It needs to fit on a 1" horizontal arbor - that size of arbor does not seem to be recognised in metric Europe. I can find a Chinese supplier willing to sell me one but I'm not sure how durable it would be.
Any ideas?

Michael

Big Shed
12th August 2012, 09:29 PM
I assume you can't use a slotting mill?

SurfinNev
12th August 2012, 09:30 PM
4″ X 5MM SLITTING SAW | Hi-Speed Tooling (http://www.hispeedtooling.com.au/products/slitting-saws/4-x-5mm-slitting-saw/)

Try searching for Slotting Cutter.

Nev

Michael G
12th August 2012, 09:50 PM
I could use an end mill to make the slot and if I had a small quantity to do I probably would but if I did I'd probably have to do a couple of passes. I have several dozen parts to do and would really like to be able to put one in a vice, do a pass and have a piece ready for the next operation.
I'll post some pictures once I have something to show so that you can see what I'm trying to do.

Michael
(Nev - that looks like the go - thanks. If others have sources by all means post them)

.RC.
12th August 2012, 10:09 PM
I could suggest buying a thicker imperial one and surface grinding it down to size... 7/32" is 5.55mm

MILLING CUTTER PLAIN TOOTH 3"DIA x7/32" Wx1" HOLE HSS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILLING-CUTTER-PLAIN-TOOTH-3-DIA-x7-32-Wx1-HOLE-HSS-/270723643279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0862f78f)

One thing you have to watch at least with some chinese slitting saws is they put a large number of teeth on them, which clog up even with coolant... Also they have no key...

4-6-4
14th August 2012, 01:46 AM
Greeting what about two passes working off the dials I know this is awkward but it is a solution yours 4-6-4