PDA

View Full Version : Halifax lathe

morrisman
14th August 2012, 01:12 PM
Hi

Well another lathe has turned up locally . Its a British Halifax, a copy of the ubiquitous USA ATLAS 10"machine . Been researching and apparently zillions of the Atlas version were made in the USA .

Will I buy the Halifax ? :rolleyes: the babbit spindle bearings in it are shot , but maybe a Atlas roller bearing headstock would fit on OK ?

Pics soon Mike

morrisman
14th August 2012, 06:37 PM
pics

welder
14th August 2012, 06:40 PM
If I were you I would fix up that beautiful Hendey before buying another lathe unless it was cheap.

bwal74
14th August 2012, 06:52 PM
If you have the time and space, you cannot have enough lathes, milling machines, vices, shapers, etc etc

Ben

morrisman
14th August 2012, 07:02 PM
If I were you I would fix up that beautiful Hendey before buying another lathe unless it was cheap.

Yes I agree . That Halifax is nothing special, I would only take it if it is very cheap , don't know the price yet .

I am in the middle of extending the shed . I've been digging post holes with a manual auger and also moving a huge mound of dirt with a shovel . I am making a restraining wall out of old tyres filled with dirt . It takes me hours to put one post in the ground, my health isn't the best so I take it slow and easy . No energy left :(

The Hendey will be up and running after the room is made for it . The new cross feed screw arrived for it , a 18mm LH thread and I bought two nuts , a bronze one and a steel one . The new 12mm compound screw and nut are there as well . LH thread of course .