PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning lathe

pfc101941
15th August 2012, 06:37 PM
Hi my name is Peter, I am a recently retired builder who has been in the game for 50 years. I have for quite some time had a notion that wood turning would give me a satisfying persuit to follow. My quest is to aquire a suitable lathe which is appropriate for my status as a beginner in this new field. I think that the lathe should be a medium size (say a bed length as you call it between centres of 900 mm) with a swivel head and a firm undercarriage. I have looked at a model at Hare and Forbes Dandenong (cat WL-18) I don't like the idea of a machine which is a 'Dinky Toy' but something which can be adapted to "greater things" as I become more proficient at it. My question is am I on the right track ? Your suggestions are welcome.

Avery
15th August 2012, 07:03 PM
You are certainly on the right track with your thinking.

Remember to include in your thoughts the tools that you will need and the accessories such as a chuck, and perhaps faceplates, toolrests , maybe some dust management etc etc.

Most people have a budget to start with and the budget needs to include all the extras.

It is no good getting a really good lathe and not being able to afford the bits to make it work.

Oh, and find a woodturning club that you can get to to learn how to use your new toys quickly and safely.

Sturdee
15th August 2012, 07:31 PM
I have looked at a model at Hare and Forbes Dandenong (cat WL-18) I don't like the idea of a machine which is a 'Dinky Toy' but something which can be adapted to "greater things" as I become more proficient at it. .

I have one of those lathes and with a little tweaking they are good lathes. The legs are just pressed metal so do like I did and bolt it to a firm bench. Remember that the lathe is only the beginning, chucks, face plates, better drive and revolving centres and tools will add to your total costs.

As to the suitability of any lathe that depends on what you want to do and the best way is to join a club and learn a bit first.

Northern Woodturners or Eltham Woodworkers are two clubs that would be close to you. Lessons from a good professional is worth their weight in gold and I would recommend , a bit far for you but definitely worth it.

Peter.

Peter.

mick59wests
15th August 2012, 09:35 PM
I'd have to say that having decent tools which are sharp is just as (if not more important) than a good lathe. learning how to sharpen your tools early on is a definite 'yes'.
cheers
Mick

petersemple
15th August 2012, 09:42 PM
There is one of these lathes listed in the Marketplace section of the forum in Victoria. Might be worth looking at.

angryranga
16th August 2012, 08:03 AM
Peter, it all comes down to budget, while it is good to buy a big lathe straight up, if you don't spend the money on a decent one to start with it could put you off from the get go, where as if you buy a midi lathe i.e a dinky di one as you put it, that is only a couple of hundred bucks to learn on but is a good quality lathe i.e JET or WOODFAST, you will always keep this little lathe and they do come in very handy, after you spend the money at a later time on that big lathe. It will also let you spend more on decent quality tools, chucks, faceplates, sharpening systems and all the other bits and pieces that seem to pop up. Just some food for thought.

pfc101941
16th August 2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks -- Avery, Sturdee, Mick59Wests, PeterSemple, AngryRanga, and others, I am impressed to know that there are so many out there who are listening ! I will willingly take on board all the advice offered and proceed with new-found confidence. Regards, Peter Caldwell.

orraloon
16th August 2012, 11:14 AM
In the meantime while you ponder the what lathe question get on down to your local library and read up on the basics of turning. I found great value in Keith Rowleys "Woodturning: A foundation course". A real good starting point for any one learning to turn. There are many others but that is the one got me started.
Regards
John

daryl1
16th August 2012, 01:22 PM
Hello Peter! I have a Woodfast (Australian made) which has all,the features that you have indicated. Have a look at their web site. I believe that current models are made offshore but the quality is still very good. As previously suggested, it comes down to budget. In your trade as you rightlfully know, the job will be only as good as the tools used.Regards

old pete
16th August 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi PFC,

Welcome to the wood turning world. I've been a semi commercial turner for around 25 years plus a bit of teaching turning in high schools. I've read the posts with interest and I'm generally in agreement with the sentiments expressed.

There's one point I'd make in the stoutest terms and it's about having a proper dust extractor from day one. Wood turning produces a fair quota of dust especially when you are learning and having to do a lot of sanding. I'd say factor in the cost of a DE
( about $600 for a 1200 CFM model).

Be safe stay safe is my motto and you can't do either if you are standing in a cloud of dust. It's a serious health hazard!

Good luck Old Pete

Sturdee
16th August 2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks -- Avery, Sturdee, Mick59Wests, PeterSemple, AngryRanga, and others, I am impressed to know that there are so many out there who are listening ! I will willingly take on board all the advice offered and proceed with new-found confidence. Regards, Peter Caldwell.

Peter,

If you want to proceed with the H & F lathe we could make a time for you to have a look at mine, may be some other local turnerscould show you theirs to help you get to an informed decision.

Peter.

Ozartisan
16th August 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Peter
I am also Peter - from Artisans ...on the hill.
I hear your story often and many have benefitted from a day spent in my workshop, playing with LOTS of gear before committing to purchase.
I know we are not just around the corner from you (we are near Taree - just north of Newcastle), but if you are perhaps planning a trip, a day here at Artisans could be very beneficial.
With regard to a lathe - in my opinion the best value for money mid-size lathe on the market is the Cougar from Trend timbers. I have one and now so have quite a few of my students an colleagues.
Feel free to call me if you would like to chat about it on (02) 65531199
I know Trend will freight to anywhere and you can chat to Adrian from Trend on (02)4577 5277

The lathe is only the beginning - good tools, sharpening gear, dust extraction are all important parts of the mix.

Welcome to the club!!

pfc101941
17th August 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks Peter from OZARTISAN for your friendly gesture, unfortunately Taree is a Long way from Montmorency Melbourne, and I don't see an opportunity for me to take you up on the offer, in the meantime I hope to keep in touch in the future. regards' Peter Caldwell.

pfc101941
17th August 2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Peter from STURDEE , I will bear your offer in mind and make contact should the need arize, Best regards Peter Caldwell. (There is a lot of Peters in this caper isn't there ?)

pfc101941
17th August 2012, 05:38 PM
Nice to hear from you OLD PETE. Yes a dust collection vacuum set up is on my list and your point is well made. Thank you for your response OLD PETE Best regards, Peter Caldwell

pfc101941
17th August 2012, 05:44 PM
To John of ORRALOON and to DARYL 1 , I am pleased to have received your comments and value the content therein. Hope to speak to you again soon, Regards Peter Caldwell.