PDA

View Full Version : First turning in over 22 years.....

Geekgirl
16th August 2012, 09:54 PM
Hi all.

I am a newbie to woodworking, having just built a work bench, Today I decided was the day to get the lathe out and turn some wood :) I bought a midi bench top lathe at the Perth wood show (it was a good price). When I was at my tool suppliers looking at dust collection I spied a pile of wood the owners sells on the side :). I bought a bit of square camphor wood for $8 it was nice and dry (but still waxy :)

I kept putting off doing anything, as I have forgotten so much :( So today I plucked up the courage, and turned it :) I finished sanding it on the lathe, then sanded with small squares of sandpaper where the 4 Jaw chuck sat :) As I was turning the outside, I turned down to a branch hollow, it had a bit of branch in it that I slid out as it was loose, I love the look of the dark contrasting on the light.

I have not sealed this yet as I am reading up on Rustin's Plastic Coating. I want to use this on anything that can be used for food :)

I know I made a couple of mistakes, I did not make the hole for the chuck deep enough, so the bowl was not perfectly square, so the lip has a slight warp to it ;) I think it adds character :)

Kat.

WOODbTURNER
16th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Go girl. Looks good!

Paul39
17th August 2012, 05:45 AM
Very nice!

Do some research about Tung oil finish. If you are making a salad bowl, mineral oil from a pharmacist / drug store.

I have several posts about how I use Tung oil, do a search.

If you are making a soup bowl I guess Rustin's would work, but the process looks tedious.

tea lady
17th August 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi all.

I have not sealed this yet as I am reading up on Rustin's Plastic Coating. I want to use this on anything that can be used for food :)

Kat.Nice little bowl:cool: I like holes and distortions too. :2tsup:

As for the finish, Personally I reckon if you put "plastic coating" on wood you may as well use a plactis bowl. :C Danish oil is food safe. Of Organoil has a few options. Or even just raw. :shrug: Prolly even go through the dishwasher like that.:cool:

spankingpigeon
17th August 2012, 06:14 PM
thats really good for a first attempt i hope mine first will turn out that good:)

Christos
17th August 2012, 06:21 PM
Good first attempt.

artme
17th August 2012, 06:35 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
17th August 2012, 07:13 PM
Good effort following a 22 year break,

I’d just like to warn you that like all good diseases woodturning is very contagious.

Geekgirl
17th August 2012, 09:20 PM
Nice little bowl:cool: I like holes and distortions too. :2tsup:

As for the finish, Personally I reckon if you put "plastic coating" on wood you may as well use a plactis bowl. :C Danish oil is food safe. Of Organoil has a few options. Or even just raw. :shrug: Prolly even go through the dishwasher like that.:cool:

OK I will leave the plastic coating for the inside of goblets and use Danish Oil on this one (I had to buy Cabbots as the Big Green Shed did not have any Other brands I was after te Feast and Watsons as I have heard it is a good brand)

I hope to do that tomorrow as I want to show some friends on Sunday the finished product :)

Kat.

Christos
17th August 2012, 09:24 PM
...I hope to do that tomorrow as I want to show some friends on Sunday the finished product...

A show and tell. :2tsup:

Get them to sign up to the forum. :U I am working on my friends to sign up. :roll:

Geekgirl
25th August 2012, 03:09 AM
A show and tell. :2tsup:

Get them to sign up to the forum. :U I am working on my friends to sign up. :roll:

Sorry I have not been back, been in to much pain all week :( hope to get in the car port tomorrow and seal the bowl)

My friends are all arty farty friends who like "art" in many forms, but are not really into wood, they prefer poetry and painting etc.

Kat.

Rocky5
25th August 2012, 03:20 PM
Kat\nHi. I must admit Ive tried many ways to coat bowls. I recon someone should do a summary table of finishes since there are horses for courses.\n\nRustins ~ A few things Ive learnt. The final finish is hard and heat resistent. Be careful not to coat if it is a hot day or to cold ~ less than 10C. Spraying is better but I brush. Thin out esp as the second and third coats can gets roughish which makes it hard to apply. Between coats put glad wrap over brush and container to keep longer. Try not to do thick coats. ok here's the trick .. when the final coat has dried put on lathe, medium to slow,sand using a very fine grade, 800grit + but dont take much off. If there are still lumps and bumps go back to 600grit and the 800 [dont push too hard]. Use some water to reduce heating,clean throughly ,... now for the rustins polish ......the finishing should come up glossy almost immediately.
Randal

minus459
25th August 2012, 07:41 PM
That is a keeper, put it up in a pride of place spot..................I like.:2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
25th August 2012, 10:39 PM
That is a keeper, put it up in a pride of place spot..................I like.:2tsup::2tsup:Straight to the pool room? :D

ian thorn
26th August 2012, 03:27 PM
Thats a nice bowl :2tsup: as to finish google U Beaut they make a food safe pure food grade mineral oil its not cheap here but a little gose a long way

Chears ian