PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Diamond wheel dressers

argeng
17th August 2012, 09:41 PM
I am looking at picking up a grinding wheel dresser for the surface grinder. Has anyone purchased one off Ebay, 6 to 10 $ ( China & Hong kong ) Are these total junk and a waste of money( small as it is ). If they are not an option, any thoughts.
In the Elliott lathe clean up I decided to skim the compound up on the surface grinder, first time I have used it, the finish is ok but obviously I need to dress the wheel for the final lick.
Cheers bruce

jack620
17th August 2012, 10:11 PM
I ordered a 1/2 carat single-point diamond dresser on eBay last week. It was about $8 delivered. It looks exactly like the one Carbatec sells for $21. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.
Chris

MuellerNick
17th August 2012, 10:24 PM
I have a few cheapish dresser. They all work fine. But I don't use them on a daily basis.
Don't forget, that you should rotate the dresser every once in a while.

Nick

Chief Tiff
17th August 2012, 10:28 PM
How are you going to mount the diamond in order to true the wheel? I have two single point diamond dressers; one about 5" long and 1/2" dia which I use for truing bench grinding wheels by hand, the other is slightly thinner only 1 1/2" long and designed to be used in a dressing jig mounted on the surface grinder. The number of surface grinders I've used is pretty low but every one of them had a special truing jig or device that allowed me to accurately flatten or shape the wheel.

argeng
17th August 2012, 10:40 PM
G'day,
I will make up a holding fixture at an inclined angle of 15 as that is what I have seen is the most common. Unfortunately no Mag chuck so I will attach directly to the table. Anyone has a mag chuck they need to move on?
Cheers Bruce

MuellerNick
17th August 2012, 10:49 PM
The most accurate way is to mount the dresser onto the table.
Except you want to grind some profile (-> Diaform dresser). Of that dresser, there are ones that are mounted on the table or ones that are mounted near the spindle.

Nick

nearnexus
17th August 2012, 11:08 PM
I also have a cheap half carat single point dresser from Ebay which I use for my tool post grinder.

Had it for about 5 years and totally excellent - does a perfect job.

As stated, you must have a jig for an accurate pass across the stone.

Rob