PDA

View Full Version : first attempts at endgrain hollowing

michael_m
18th August 2012, 03:41 PM
Hi all,
I thought I would put up my first attempts at hollowing end grain.

I got a sorby hollowmaster cheaply the other day, and after turning a handle for it, I tried it out on the stub of wood left in my chuck and made a little goblety eggcup. Actually, in the end I did the hollowing with a small spindle gouge, and turned the shape of it with a skew and spindle gouge. It was also my first attempt at eccentric turning, I just loosened and repositioned it in the chuck jaws when it came time to turn the stem. It's about 7cm high.

About an hour ago, I just finished turning my first ever hollow form, a cypress vase, about 15cm high. For a first attempt, I'm pretty damn happy with it. I finished it on the outside with danish oil, but haven't done anything to the inside - I wasn't sure how to go about sanding the inside, or if I even really need to.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Cheers, Mike

artme
18th August 2012, 04:35 PM
Glad you did share!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Really nice work.:)

dr4g0nfly
18th August 2012, 05:38 PM
Two firsts in one go - you're pushing yourself.

Good effort on both counts - well done:2tsup:

Scott
18th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Very nice work. My first attempt at a hollow form exploded on me, it's darn hard to work out how thin you should go.

mkypenturner
18th August 2012, 10:38 PM
nice work mike :2tsup: over time if you can get the base smaller to create a flowing effect rising up from table

dr4g0nfly
19th August 2012, 05:46 AM
My first attempt at a hollow form exploded on me

Only the first one - lucky you.

I'm still prone to the odd TARDIS (trying to make the inside bigger than the outside!)

Scott
19th August 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm still prone to the odd TARDIS (trying to make the inside bigger than the outside!)

Haha, I've perfected the bottomless bowl as well :D

Christos
19th August 2012, 12:37 PM
I like them. Something that is on my list to try.

tea lady
19th August 2012, 12:41 PM
Looks good. I like the little goblet. I have never tried doing a vase cos having done pottery i feel that a vase that doesn't hold water is a bit pointless. :doh: Anyway, looks good too. :2tsup:

michael_m
19th August 2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks all, I was just happy for it to come off the lathe when I wanted it to, and not when it decided to (as has happened with a couple do bowls I cut too thinly).:B

Tea lady, that's exactly what my wife said when she saw the vase!

tea lady
19th August 2012, 01:33 PM
Tea lady, that's exactly what my wife said when she saw the vase!:Lshrug: Just means you'll have to buy her something else besides flowers now.:p:D

kenm46
21st August 2012, 09:43 PM
Great effort for a first attempt - you should be quite proud of yourself.

About the thickness of walls etc - I don't belong to the school of thought that says walls should be thin (about 5 mm or so). I am happy to have thick walls in my hollowed pieces as I like the piece to have some substance and not to look as if it will float away in a half-decent breeze. I wouldn't worry too much - just concentrate on the form and finish.:U

Paul39
23rd August 2012, 03:05 AM
finished it on the outside with danish oil, but haven't done anything to the inside - I wasn't sure how to go about sanding the inside, or if I even really need to. Cheers, Mike

If you want to sand the inside, a Phillips screwdriver chucked in a variable speed drill with sandpaper stuck on the end and / or side with double sided foam tape works.

Also a dish washing brush with the bristles cut off and sand paper attached works. I used a serrated steak knife.

See: https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=939&bih=553&q=dishwashing+brush&oq=dishwashing+brush&gs_l=img.1.0.0l2j0i24j0i5i24l7.2150.9235.0.12317.18.14.0.4.4.0.81.1053.14.14.0...0.0...1ac.FaskTMbXaK0

Wonderful vase, good for dried flowers, herbs, weeds.