PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Scraping Class reunion

Pages : [1] 2

Steamwhisperer
19th August 2012, 10:08 AM
HI Guys,
Time to organise a reunion for attendees of the scraping classes. Thoughts on combining both classes? I am struggling to get Sovereign Hill on board but am still trying. The weekend of the 3rd and 4th of November is the one as the Lake Goldsmith Steam rally is on and it is their 100th rally so will be a big one. It runs for three days including the Monday. Accommodation might be a problem but there is plenty of caravan parks, motels etc.
Phil, you wouldn't have a list of 'students' you could email?
With a bit of luck everyone can make it that weekend, if not then some creative schedule rearranging might be the order of the day so it can become available:D

Phil

harty69
21st August 2012, 08:13 PM
sounds good to me Phil

cheers
harty

markgray
21st August 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Phil, I was at the second class and would consider coming down. Will keep in touch and see how arrangements go.
Thanks Mark Gray

Steamwhisperer
21st August 2012, 09:36 PM
Phew. I was worried for a minute there. Nearly three days and no replies:D

Machtool
21st August 2012, 09:49 PM
Nearly three days and no replies:
Just thought we would let you sweat on it for a while.

I'm in, with in reason, my dear old mum, turns 80 around that weekend. Guess what. I'm in charge of catering. Her's might be the weekend after.

I'f I'm available I'll be there.

And just on the admission thing to S.H. They have been more than generous in the past. Paying full whack or a group rate, is still worth every penny. So don't sweat on that if it sets every one back $30 or so dollars.

The other Phil.

P.S I have the email list, I'll try and get it to you tomorrow.

jhovel
21st August 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi all.
...obviously I'm in.... :)
Joe

simonl
22nd August 2012, 08:53 AM
Hi Phil,

Sorry about the late reply :U I'm in! Once again I'm not sure if I can stay overnight as I'm working nightshift saturday night :~ BUT I know I have 4 weeks leave around then too so I might actually be on leave too :U I'll have a look at my leave roster tonight.

If I do come along and stay overnight, I'll be able to take 3 other guys with me. Coming from Mornpen I'll be going through the city anyway.

Cheers,

Simon

RayG
22nd August 2012, 07:39 PM
Hi Phil,

Count Josh and me in.

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
22nd August 2012, 09:34 PM
Excellent gentlemen. The numbers are building. I guess both classes will be coming, I hope. I will assume, (and you should never assume) that we all agree.

Phil

Ropetangler
7th September 2012, 09:48 PM
We now have accommodation for the weekend Phil, (at Shady Acres Caravan Park, 5km East of Ballarat) So I will be good to go. Looking forward to catching up with all.
Rob.

Steamwhisperer
7th September 2012, 10:22 PM
Excellent Rob. It will be good to catch up.

Phil
ps still trying to catch up with the director.

Steamwhisperer
14th October 2012, 08:05 AM
Guess what I have just remembered....the reunion! Maybe mini reunion?
Should we organise this for another time or keep it at the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of november or just the 3rd or just the 4th.
Major apologies guys for my forgetfulness.

Phil
ps Mods, should this be moved to announcements?

Ropetangler
14th October 2012, 08:17 AM
Hi Phil, either or both days will be O.K. for me. There will be lots to see at Lake Goldsmith, so maybe one day for the reunion, and the other for the steam rally or other activities. Just my thoughts, I will be happy to fit in what ever eventuates, and am looking forward to catching up with all that turn up. Cheers,
Rob.

harty69
14th October 2012, 09:18 AM
Hi phil

Probably won't make it that weekend but those that can have fun

Cheers
Harty

Abratool
14th October 2012, 09:36 AM
Phil
The tough part about retirement is trying to fit everything in.
I would very, very much like to be at the reunion, however will be on camping trip out at Moreton Island (off Brisbane) at that time.
The trip has been booked for some time, & cannot make any changes.
So sorry for this, it would have been great to meet up with you again, & all of the other blokes.
regards
Bruce

markgray
14th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi Phil, If you still plan to have sometime on I would still be interested in coming. Will keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks Mark

Steamwhisperer
16th October 2012, 06:44 AM
HI Guys,
No worries. If you can make it great if not then as it is with reunions there will always be another one.I'm thinking that the Goldsmith rally on the Sunday and for anyone who will be here on the Saturday maybe a tour of Sovereign Hill.
Still trying to get a discount on the entry :-

Phil

Steamwhisperer
16th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Gentlemen,
Could I have a show of hands as to who can make it on that weekend.

Phil

RayG
16th October 2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Phil, Josh and me.. ( I can't find a smilie of a hand, so this one will have to do.. ) :2tsup: two hands.

What's the agenda? times, places etc..

Regards
Ray

Stustoys
16th October 2012, 09:37 PM
I'll likely be able to make it for one day but I keep forgetting to ask the holder of the diary when I am free :(

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
16th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Hi Phil, Josh and me.. ( I can't find a smilie of a hand, so this one will have to do.. ) :2tsup: two hands.

What's the agenda? times, places etc..

Regards
Ray
Hi Ray,
I will get those posted ASAP

I'll likely be able to make it for one day but I keep forgetting to ask the holder of the diary when I am free :(

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
Probably Sunday would be the better day at the Lake Goldsmith rally. This is their 100th rally and machinery will be coming in from all over the country.

Phil

jhovel
17th October 2012, 01:37 AM
I'm still in....:U

markgray
17th October 2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Phil, Keen to come ( unless the Canola harvest comes in quicker than I expect). Are we talking the Sat and at Sovereign Hill?
Thanks Mark

Steamwhisperer
17th October 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi Phil, Keen to come ( unless the Canola harvest comes in quicker than I expect). Are we talking the Sat and at Sovereign Hill?
Thanks Mark
Hi Mark,
yep the Saturday for a quick tour at the Hill. Sadly at this stage we might have to pay full price to get in and the Sunday at the Lake Goldsmith Rally
Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Association (http://www.lakegoldsmithsteamrally.org.au/index1.php).

Phil

Ropetangler
17th October 2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Mark,
yep the Saturday for a quick tour at the Hill. Sadly at this stage we might have to pay full price to get in and the Sunday at the Lake Goldsmith Rally
Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Association (http://www.lakegoldsmithsteamrally.org.au/index1.php).

Phil

I'm still in Phil, but only have intermittent access to internet for now, so future e-mails may be slow for replies. No problems paying full price to S.H. if needed, and Sunday for steam rally all good. Cheers,
Rob.

Steamwhisperer
24th October 2012, 10:42 PM
A bit of an update.
I have managed to catch up with the director I have been chasing and he has once again offered free entry to you guys on the Saturday. He just needs to know numbers.
Who is able to make it on the Saturday?
With regard to times I think I think 10.30 am in the Sovereign Hill carpark on both the Saturday and Sunday

Phil

jhovel
24th October 2012, 10:58 PM
Just to confirm agenda, Phil:
Saturday at Sovereign Hill (which I don't think I can make now - sorry) and
Sunday at Lake Goldsmith - but meeting at Sovereign Hill before we go to the Steam Rally?

Greg Q
24th October 2012, 10:59 PM
Hi Phil. I will be able to attend on the Sat only, as I have the duty on Sun.

Greg

If anyone besides Ray has an item from the recent LTQ auction on Gray's I can collect tomorrow and deliver on Sat of the reunion.

Still Greg

Steamwhisperer
24th October 2012, 11:13 PM
Just to confirm agenda, Phil:
Saturday at Sovereign Hill (which I don't think I can make now - sorry) and
Sunday at Lake Goldsmith - but meeting at Sovereign Hill before we go to the Steam Rally?

Spot on Joe. We will leave from the carpark at the Hill, it is about a 35 min drive.

Hi Phil. I will be able to attend on the Sat only, as I have the duty on Sun.

Greg

If anyone besides Ray has an item from the recent LTQ auction on Gray's I can collect tomorrow and deliver on Sat of the reunion.

Still Greg

Looking forward to catching up young Greg.

Phil

CGroves
25th October 2012, 12:25 PM
Hello Phil,

I'd like to come to check out Sovereign Hill on the Saturday although there's a chance I might have to cancel due to some work related travel.

Regards, Christian

A bit of an update.
I have managed to catch up with the director I have been chasing and he has once again offered free entry to you guys on the Saturday. He just needs to know numbers.
With regard to times I think I think 10.30 am in the Sovereign Hill carpark on both the Saturday and Sunday

Phil

.RC.
25th October 2012, 04:17 PM
Have fun everyone... I will be at a neighbours clearing sale, bidding on a few things...

Ropetangler
25th October 2012, 07:12 PM
A bit of an update.

Phil

Hi Phil, I will be there with my financial controller. I'm presuming that she also qualifies for the "pensioner discount" but there is no problem if we have to pay for one or for that matter two tickets to Sovereign Hill. looking forward to seeing you and everyone else there. Cheers,
Rob.
PS. We are also o..k. for Sunday, Monday. RG.

RayG
25th October 2012, 09:04 PM
Hi Phil,

All arranged, Josh and I will be there. Looking forward to catching up.

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
25th October 2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Phil,

All arranged, Josh and I will be there. Looking forward to catching up.

Regards
Ray

Hi Ray,
both days?

RayG
25th October 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Ray,
both days?

Yes, I've booked for Saturday Night at the place across the road.

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
25th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Yes, I've booked for Saturday Night at the place across the road.

Regards
Ray
Excellent Ray, Thanks.

Phil

Steamwhisperer
25th October 2012, 10:09 PM
Ok Guys, the story so far.
Mark (markgray) Saturday (depending on canola)
Phil (machtool) Hopefully (Need to know if you can make it to the 'hill' Saturday Phil)
Simon depending on work (which day Simon)
Ray and Josh Saturday and Sunday
Rob (ropetangler) Saturday and Sunday
Stuart depending on the holder of the diary
Greg Saturday
Joe Sunday
Christian (cgroves) Saturday but may have to pull out (hopefully not)
and me Saturday and Sunday
Have I missed anyone?

Phil

Greg Q
26th October 2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry fellas, chaos theory is again at work, at work. I finish vacation in a couple of days and already Saturday week has now been claimed by enemy forces. So, have a great weekend guys-I hope to catch up next time.

Greg

Stustoys
26th October 2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Phil,
Sorry I havent confirmed as yet. I'm trying to swing Sat and Sun. If I havent given you an answer by tomorrow night best throw something heavy at me.

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
26th October 2012, 10:46 PM
Ain't working life grand Greg. It always seems to get in the way of a good time. Hopefully there WILL be a next time.

No worries Stuart, I just need maximum numbers for the free entry. I will put you down anyway and if you can't swing it there won't be a problem.

Phil

simonl
27th October 2012, 07:29 PM
Ok Guys, the story so far.
Mark (markgray) Saturday (depending on canola)
Phil (machtool) Hopefully (Need to know if you can make it to the 'hill' Saturday Phil)
Simon depending on work (which day Simon)
Ray and Josh Saturday and Sunday
Rob (ropetangler) Saturday and Sunday
Stuart depending on the holder of the diary
Greg Saturday
Joe Sunday
Christian (cgroves) Saturday but may have to pull out (hopefully not)
and me Saturday and Sunday
Have I missed anyone?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Regretfully I have to inform you that I cannot make it on this occasion The family and I have an opportunity to go camping for 6 days which does not happen too often so we are packing the tent and heading to the Mitta Mitta Valley . I hope you guys all have a great day/weekend. I really enjoyed all your company last time we met and hope to meet up at another re-union/get together.

Cheers guys,

Simon

Steamwhisperer
27th October 2012, 07:42 PM
No worries Simon. I understand camping completely. Enjoy it when you can I say.

markgray
27th October 2012, 09:04 PM
Hi Phil, I should be right for at least Sat ( may even try and swing part of Sun). So will plan to meet 1030 in the Sovereign Hill carpark. I will need to try and find somewhere to stay Sat night and I am assuming it will be pretty busy with the rally on. Any suggestions?
Thanks Mark

Steamwhisperer
1st November 2012, 07:36 PM
HI all,
I have managed to get free tickets for the Saturday.
Let me know if I have forgotten anyone or you can't make it.

Ray and Josh
Mark
Rob (and the financial controller)
Christian
And Stuart (I think...maybe...could be).
We will meet in the Sovereign Hill carpark at 10.30 am.
for the steam rally on the Sunday, same time in the same carpark.

Phil

Stustoys
1st November 2012, 08:21 PM
Hi Phil,
I will be there Saturday. Sunday is not looking so good though but you never know. I'll have to catch their 200th ;)
Thank you in advance. Cya at 10:30am

Stuart

Anorak Bob
1st November 2012, 11:15 PM
Can someone take along the Melbourne and could someone else take another camera for back up. Also could someone take some snapshots.:roll: We missed out the last time you blokes rendezvoused at Simon's barbeque all tooled up with iphones and not a photo to show.

BT

Steamwhisperer
2nd November 2012, 06:21 AM
I won't be making that mistake again Bob. It is packed and ready to go so i have assigned myself to be the official photographer for the weekend.

Papparazzi Phil :D

Stustoys
2nd November 2012, 07:26 AM
I won't be making that mistake again Bob. It is packed and ready to go so i have assigned myself to be the official photographer for the weekend.

Papparazzi Phil :D
Great, means I dont have to come up with an excuse :D.... its all :aro-u::aro-u::aro-u:his fault.

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
2nd November 2012, 12:51 PM
Lol. They always blame the paparazzi

Steamwhisperer
2nd November 2012, 10:36 PM
See you all at 10.30
Should be a good day...or two.

Phil

Stustoys
3rd November 2012, 10:23 AM
Great weather Phil. Where is everyone? ;)

Steamwhisperer
3rd November 2012, 10:41 AM
In the main carpark

Steamwhisperer
3rd November 2012, 06:11 PM
Some pics from the first day. More to come.

Phil

Anorak Bob
3rd November 2012, 07:12 PM
Thank you Phil.

Bob.

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 12:51 AM
Was a great day.
Good to catch up with some old faces and meet some new ones.
Just one picture for tonight.
Whats this?

Thanks again to Phil for putting it together.

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 07:26 AM
Was a great day.
Whats this?

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.
I will give you a hint on that pic...a bad one, but still a hint.
Only the rich people had one of these and it had something to do with food. :oo:

Phil

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:19 AM
A couple more pics Bob.
This is Mick the Wheelwright239414 and again239415 Making a hub239416 The cant board was a hit239417
the underground tour239418 in the blacksmiths239419 239420

.RC.
4th November 2012, 08:33 AM
Looks like a fun time was had by all.... Thanks for the pics...

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:46 AM
Hi .RC.,
It would have been way funner if the rest of you guys had've been there which means the next one is gunna be a doosey.
Woo hoo.

Phil

Anorak Bob
4th November 2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the additional photos Phil. Pretty impressive drawing ( black ) board. I can see how you'd draw vertical lines but I'm wondering about the horizontals.

And who is the bloke with the hat and backpack?

BT

.RC.
4th November 2012, 08:59 AM
That is Rob....

Anorak Bob
4th November 2012, 09:22 AM
AKA Ropetangler RC ?

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Bob,
if you look at the left hand edge of this pic (you may have to zoom in) you can see chalk marks on the square. I would assume the measurements are made on the square then the square is run along the cant board (it runs on bearings) while you hold a piece of chalk on the the mark. The guy in the hat with the back pack is Rob (ropetangler).

Phil

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 10:03 AM
Some more of the cant board Bob plus king of the kids (and maybe mum) Stuart. Although I get the feeling he was more interested in the coach and it's construction :D

Phil

Anorak Bob
4th November 2012, 10:04 AM
I was thinking the vertical was traversed with the chaulk held in place. A set square would be a touch unmanagable. You've cropped the edge of the photo off.

Now I know who Rob the Rope is. :U

Ah. You slipped the extra photos in while I was tapping away. Is it called a cant board because you can't draw on anything else ?:roll:

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the vertical was traversed with the chaulk held in place. A set square would be a touch unmanagable. You've cropped the edge of the photo off.

Now I know who Rob the Rope is. :U

In that photo Bob, just as the square disappears out of the pic, you can just see the chalk marks....I hope:-

Phil

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 10:11 AM
Wow there is some serious cross posting on here :D
I like the trestle and other paraphenalia in front to stop the kids rubbing it off and drawing new pictures :(

Phil

Anorak Bob
4th November 2012, 10:19 AM
In that photo Bob, just as the square disappears out of the pic, you can just see the chalk marks....I hope:-

Phil

You are younger than me Phil. Your eyes are sharper. It is an impressive drawing. What is used for a beam compass? I guess whatever is used, it becomes a two man job when drawing let's say, a six foot radius curve.

I wish I'd flown over.

BT

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks Stuart.
I will give you a hint on that pic...a bad one, but still a hint.
Only the rich people had one of these and it had something to do with food. :oo:

Is it a fridge? or at least the compressor side of things?

Ueee
4th November 2012, 11:12 AM

That was what my guess was going to be. Looks like fun times had by all, thanks for the pics.

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 01:50 PM
A few more pictures.
That post drill has more going on than I have seen on others(although some parts seem to be missing.

Phil whats the hook looking think I've arrowed? Not a very good picture but it seems to be on the same shaft as the dog clutch, but I dont think there is one on the other side. Also what are the adjustable steam cut off linkages called?(we could update the name and call them econo-levers :p

Stuart

Anorak Bob
4th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Stu,

What is the machine to the right of your post drill photos?

Bob.

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 02:35 PM
Hi Bob,
No idea what its name is. Its for bending curves in wood once its been in a steam box for awhile. There are heaps of fixtures for different radius. Though the other pictures I have arent much use.

Stuart

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 04:11 PM
Some vids.

MVI 43391 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1y_ZqT0OZM)

MVI 43401 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmI5ycL9DQ)

MVI 43301 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0eS8cBeQg)

Ueee
4th November 2012, 04:23 PM
Some pics from the first day. More to come.

Phil

Any chance of some names on the fifth pic(the line up in the carpark). As far as i know, we have Handlebar Phil, Stuart, ?, Josh? (only going by the blade grinding video) and Rob with the cap.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/239359d1351926642-melbourne-scraping-class-reunion-dsc_0057-version-2.jpg

I'm guessing the timber bender would have been in the wheelwrights workshop for the bending of rims?

Machtool
4th November 2012, 05:31 PM
Left to right,

Thats Phil T, Stuart, Ray, Josh, Mark G, Rob the Ropetangler, and I'm leaning on my van.

Phil.

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 05:58 PM
What is used for a beam compass? I guess whatever is used, it becomes a two man job when drawing let's say, a six foot radius curve.

BT

Hi Bob, Not sure what they would use but I will find out and take a pic

Hi Stuart,
Nope :D

Phil whats the hook looking think I've arrowed? Not a very good picture but it seems to be on the same shaft as the dog clutch, but I don't think there is one on the other side. Also what are the adjustable steam cut off linkages called?(we could update the name and call them econo-levers :p

Stuart

Ahhh, the hook. We have studied that hook many times and it seems it's a safety hook for when the drum is out of commission. Two things. One, there should be two of them, one for each drum, and two, that one is on backwards :-
The steam cut-off linkages are called expansion gear as they cut-off the steam supply to the piston early and let the expanding steam take over and push the piston. That gear operates what is called Meyer overriding valves which do the cutting off. Overriding because they ride over the back of the main valve.

Phil

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 06:11 PM
Just watched the videos Stuart. Fantastic :2tsup:

Phil

ps Keep guessing on the mystery item :D

Michael G
4th November 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm guessing dishwasher

Michael

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing dishwasher

Michael

LOL. That's what I thought when I first saw it Michael. Ummm no is the answer though.

Phil

shedhappens
4th November 2012, 06:20 PM
Was a great day.
Whats this?

Stuart

Hmmm..............maybe a boiler for the household hot water ? not so sure why the firebox door would be so heavy
that a block and tackle would be needed to open it ? hmmm where is the flu ? what is the round black thing
sitting near it ?

Phil did they all go home ?

Are you sure there aren't any stowaways, looked like a great weekend :U

john

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 06:40 PM
Hmmm..............maybe a boiler for the household hot water ? not so sure why the firebox door would be so heavy
that a block and tackle would be needed to open it ? hmmm where is the flu ? what is the round black thing
sitting near it ?

Phil did they all go home ?

Are you sure there aren't any stowaways, looked like a great weekend :U

john

Hi John,
Yep they have all left the area....I think :D
I had a ball on both days, many thanks to all involved
and nope it's not a hot water service.

Phil

Ueee
4th November 2012, 07:41 PM
How about a boiler for heating radiators?

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 07:52 PM
How about a boiler for heating radiators?

Welcome to the fray Ewan.
Nope.

Phil

Ueee
4th November 2012, 08:06 PM
I've just realized its a lot smaller than i thought....
Air con? It clearly looks to me like a compressor sitting atop a tank....the cast iron frames are needed due to the ends of the tank being flat and not rounded.....The 4?-1 reduction block and tackle looks like a governor or something, it has a single cable going back down to the unit but its behind the post..
Or i could just be dreamin.....

Edit, Food:doh:(thanks Stu)........Maybe a powered rotisserie for the fire......:U

Brobdingnagian
4th November 2012, 08:12 PM
Awesome couple of days, It was great to see you all again. I had a great time. Absolutely awesome!
PS.The Mystery Item has had me stumped all day :S

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Stuart,
Nope :D
For those that cant see I believe there is a large weight on the bottom of that block and tackle.
Ok for my next two guesses,
1. an all singing all dancing butter churn? (hey I'm reaching here)
2. ok really reaching here...... a gas washing plant?

ok 3
3. how about a wet meter?(though I dont think they ever had those on houses)

Ahhh, the hook. We have studied that hook many times and it seems it's a safety hook for when the drum is out of commission. Two things. One, there should be two of them, one for each drum, and two, that one is on backwards :-
lol no wonder it had me scratching my head. I was thinking it was on backwards so when looking for the other one lol

The steam cut-off linkages are called expansion gear as they cut-off the steam supply to the piston early and let the expanding steam take over and push the piston. That gear operates what is called Meyer overriding valves which do the cutting off. Overriding because they ride over the back of the main valve.

I thought the "main valve" was just like a tap and the expansion gear worked to change the open time of the slide valve thingy*. (is the slide valve thingy in fact called the main valve and the tap called something else? or am I up the wrong tree?)

Stuart

*technical term ;)

edit. you said something to do with food

Big Shed
4th November 2012, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't be an antique food preserver/canning outfit, would it?

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:36 PM
I've just realized its a lot smaller than i thought....
Air con? It clearly looks to me like a compressor sitting atop a tank....the cast iron frames are needed due to the ends of the tank being flat and not rounded.....The 4?-1 reduction block and tackle looks like a governor or something, it has a single cable going back down to the unit but its behind the post..
Or i could just be dreamin.....
Yep just dreamin' Ewan:D

For those that cant see I believe there is a large weight on the bottom of that block and tackle.
Ok for my next two guesses,
1. an all singing all dancing butter churn? (hey I'm reaching here)
2. ok really reaching here...... a gas washing plant?

ok 3
3. how about a wet meter?(though I dont think they ever had those on houses)

lol no wonder it had me scratching my head. I was thinking it was on backwards so when looking for the other one lol

I thought the "main valve" was just like a tap and the expansion gear worked to change the open time of the slide valve thingy*. (is the slide valve thingy in fact called the main valve and the tap called something else? or am I up the wrong tree?)

Stuart

*technical term ;)

edit. you said something to do with food
Stuart,
Nope, really nope and really really nope:D
The slide valve thingy lets steam into the whatsit from the whosy. Gees ya got me doin' it now:wink:
The slide valve is the main valve and the expansion gear does exactly as you said. It controls the point at which the steam is cutoff to the main valve. The 'tap' is called the 'throttling valve' or 'operating valve'
Impressive Stuart, not everyone knows how a main slide valve actually works let alone an overriding (or expansion) valve. :2tsup:

Awesome couple of days, It was great to see you all again. I had a great time. Absolutely awesome!
PS.The Mystery Item has had me stumped all day :S
I have to agree with you (I'm gunna have to shorten that one and call you) bro. Oh, and keep guessing.

Phil

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:41 PM

Hi Fred, nope
but I guarantee you will all be kicking yourself when you find out.
The clues again are:
Only the rich people had one and it has something to do with food.:doh:

Phil

Ueee
4th November 2012, 08:44 PM
Its not just simply to heat an oven is it? I'm not going to sleep tonight if i don't find out......

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:48 PM

Its not just simply to heat an oven is it? I'm not going to sleep tonight if i don't find out......

Hi Ewan,
the only way I can answer that is ambiguously and then you would figure it out :doh:

Phil

RayG
4th November 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi Phil,

I'm giving up, just to help the others still going, you can eliminate "meat smoker" ( or drier ) "moonshine still", "potato (or vegetable) washer" ...

By the way, for those that missed the Lake Goldsmith Steam Rally, it was just overwhelming, steam traction engines everywhere, a fully operational steam shovel, and a fully operating steam driven saw mill, I'd like to know how many big traction engines were there, I'd think at least 50?

Thanks to Phil for a couple of fantastic and memorable days :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

Ueee
4th November 2012, 08:55 PM
Roll up roll up, buy your own personal moonshine still today.....:D If only houses had them these days!

Ok......so steam oven?

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 08:58 PM
Roll up roll up, buy your own personal moonshine still today.....:D If only houses had them these days!

Ok......so steam oven?

Lol nope

Big Shed
4th November 2012, 08:58 PM
Is it a device to produce steam for steam jacketed kettles for cooking quantities of food?

Ueee
4th November 2012, 09:02 PM
Your enjoying this aren't you Phil?
Just to rule it out, how bout to heat a hotplate?

Stustoys
4th November 2012, 09:04 PM
Damn Big Shed stole my next guess.
How about a steam powered rotisserie oven?

And now it seems Ewan has covered my next guess lol

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
4th November 2012, 09:09 PM
Damn Big Shed stole my next guess.
How about a steam powered rotisserie oven?

And now it seems Ewan has covered my next guess lol

Stuart

Arrgh nope

DJ’s Timber
4th November 2012, 09:22 PM
Washing machine for clothes