PDA

View Full Version : First Bowls...From The Woodworking Revival!

Willbur
19th August 2012, 07:25 PM
Bought a lathe the other day off Switt775 here on the forum. Switt was kind enough to throw in some blanks with the lathe, thanks mate! Here's my first turnings....whadda ya think? Photos aren't the best, but they'll do!

I bought an old dodgy lathe in 2009 and did very little turning, plus it broke pretty quickly so I only turned one bowl. Due to changes in circumstances I had to sell up all my woodworking gear and move on, but been itching over the last few weeks to get into some turning. So glad I did! It's a fantastic feeling having a creative outlet once more. Unfortunately, I don't have a shed or a real workplace! It's a bugger for sure. I have the lathe on the back patio and have to cart tools etc in and out of the house each time I want to turn and can't leave a mess when I'm finished :no: But it's ok, pulled that first bowl of the lathe and it is so worth it.

Bowl #1 is Silky Oak & #2 is Camphor Laurel. Haven't worked with either before and got a massive surprise once I started turning that Camphor!!!! The smell is amazing!! Damn pleasure to turn that's for sure :U Unfortunately the Camphor blank had some checking and slight cracks in it. Twas hollowing out and nearly done and the side gave way at those cracks. Can't believe the side stayed together, so I just abandoned that section for fear of it exploding. It's got gouges on the inside from the split and catch, but just pleased that it stayed pretty much in one piece and I have something to show for the arvo, even if it does have plenty of blemishes and marks.

First time I've used EEE & Shellawax Cream too. I put that EEE on and worked it in then turned the lathe off and literally said "Holy s$%#"! Man that is some good stuff :2tsup: Props to UBeaut for such a good product! Only sanded 80/240/400 and it came out amazing for little work.

So here's me at the start of a turning adventure I think, plenty excited :2tsup: Now, to scrounge timber from somewhere this week so I can turn next weekend.......:U

vk4
19th August 2012, 07:58 PM
Wilbur,

Very nice work, they look very good.

Some advice , 80 grit is a bit harsh , and does leave some serious sanding marks, and the jumps from , 80 -240-400 grit are way too much.

I would start at 120Grit, then jump no more than 1 grit at a time ,
IE: start at
!. 120#
2. 180#
3. 240#
3. 320#
4. 400#

If you jump too many grits , it takes longer to sand out the marks from the last grit, and you use a lot more abrasives to get to you finish you want.

My favorite way to finish , is to apply several coats of BLONDE Shellac , then Shella wax.

I find I get a very good high finish .

Jeff
vk4

Willbur
19th August 2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the words & advice Jeff. Only reason I sanded how I did is that's all the sandpaper I had lying around in a box after moving :) I usually have some 120 but couldn't find today....trip to the hardware in order

switt775
19th August 2012, 08:44 PM
Good to see you'r not wasting any time. Great results :)

dr4g0nfly
20th August 2012, 07:37 AM
So here's me at the start of a turning adventure I think, plenty excited :2tsup: Now, to scrounge timber from somewhere this week so I can turn next weekend.......:U

Well that's another-one hooked then.

Well done Wilbur, they look good even if you did make life hard for yourself with the 80 grit.

Another month and everything in the home will be round!

tea lady
20th August 2012, 10:03 AM
So here's me at the start of a turning adventure I think, plenty excited :2tsup: Now, to scrounge timber from somewhere this week so I can turn next weekend.......:UGreat start. :2tsup: Don't worry about the wood turning up. My shed seems to be full of the stuff without trying too hard. :cool::U

Drillit
20th August 2012, 12:09 PM
Hello Wilbur,
Agree with VK 4 about sanding. Personally I dont think that you regularly need to go beyond 320. Remember that EEE is really a fine abrasive and precursor to Shellawax. Having said that I agree with Tea Lady - when does a man (or woman) have too much wood - never it just grows and grows. Drillit.

Willbur
21st August 2012, 09:18 AM
Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback!

Will

Christos
21st August 2012, 09:52 AM
That's good to see you have started to turn. So far you have done twice as many bowls as I have. :U