PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's main project

Michael G
19th August 2012, 09:05 PM
I said that I would write up the job I wanted to get the 5mm slitting saw for at a later date. The saw was ordered but hadn't arrived so I used a 3/16" and did two passes - annoying but that's the way it goes.
Bryan popped in on the way to somewhere to drop off some gear and saw the brutal part with the hammer, but didn't get to see the rest of the job (that is, the non-hammer parts). I was actually making up change gears. I could buy a solid piece of material but that would cost a fair bit and for a change gear that is really a waste as there is not much power being transmitted. Instead I do it like this.
I start with a piece of square bar (in this case 20x20mm) and take it down in one dimension to a little over (say 1mm) the width of the desired finished gear (5/8")-
Having done that, I set up the bandsaw and cut a series of pieces all of the same length but with a 15 degree angle on the end. The length is determined by the finished gear diameter plus some clean up. These two are spares as I cut 12 pieces + a couple of extra. Handy for set up trials, gauging and all that. These have also had the slot put in (5mm deep, 5mm wide - can sometimes need to be wider depending on the plate) and have been weld prepped
The marker pen line on the side is important. Before cutting I put a line down one side of my bar stock. To guard against the saw being out of alignment I then arrange the blocks in a way to minimise this effect.
Once I have the blocks cut and grooved and prepped, they are arranged around a plate (nominally 5mm thick) cut with 12 sides to match the block recess dimensions. I find a thin cutting disc in an angle grinder is the easiest/ quickest way of producing these shapes. The texta lines on adjacent pieces are orientated alternately on the top and the bottom of the base disc. The weld prep insures that even with some slight clean up, there will still be some weld holding the blocks onto the next block. Care is needed with welding as if heat is put in all on one side it may distort, so I alternate symmetrically to try and keep things even. These two discs have been welded up and are ready for clean up -
As well as welding the blocks to each other, I also attach the blocks to the base disc with a small fillet on alternate sides. A full length weld is not necessary. The next stage for these two discs will be clean up with the angle grinder and then in the lathe. Once I have a round disc with a centre it is just a matter of mounting in the dividing head and cutting the teeth (gaps). The larger disc with the rule across it is for a 127t 12DP gear (OD= 273mm - possibly the largest diameter gear I will ever cut). The smaller one is for a 100t gear (OD=216mm). I usually allow the gear OD + say 2mm for clean up as the A/F dimension. Both gears will be mounted together so that I have a conversion gear pair (I'm yet to make and weld in a hub). The 127t gear has been made on a plate made of 5x50mm flat because the finished size will be around that but as well the widest piece of 5mm plate I had was 200mm wide.
In the best cooking show parlance, here's one that I prepared earlier. The dished hub on this one is for mounting on the mill (this is also 100t). As you can see they clean up well enough.
The critical bit is how the blocks fit together. I don't have an oxy set, but if someone wanted to, they could probably braze the blocks onto the plate and the joints in between. It took a while to find a bad one, but this a joint on that 100t gear where the fit up isn't 100%. See how top and bottom there is still some weld due to the prep. One day if I'm feeling keen I may fill this with the TIG and file it back but it hasn't caused problems so far.
And why 12 blocks? I found this was a nice balance between the amount of extra material that would have to be removed if I used less and the extra mucking around that more would cause. These days anything I want to mount in the lathe that is not round I'll put 12 sides on it if I can. As well, 12 is divisible by both 3 and 4 which can help if you are trying to mount in a chuck for clean up.

Michael

Ueee
19th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Thats a really neat way of making large gears Michael, good work:2tsup:
I was planning on using either CI weights or even just delrin for my 127/120 tooth gears, i figure with so many more teeth than the driving and driven gears wear should not be a problem.

morrisman
19th August 2012, 10:18 PM
That's a case of " thinking laterally " . :2tsup:

Has anyone seen those people in the back streets of Indian and Pakistan cities who manufacture stuff like rifles , using only elementary tools . The end product looks and functions like the genuine article . Mike

Michael G
19th August 2012, 10:19 PM
Delrin should work alright, except that even for 127t 14DP a disc 234 mm is needed. 16mm thick will still not be cheap. You might be able to try something similar - bolt/screw a Delrin outer onto a steel inner.
I've never priced CI weights and that might have been a better way to go but I'd worry about having a uniform quality of material. The stories I've heard have been mixed. It would be a heart breaker to spend a lot of time preparing a disc and then when cutting the teeth strike a patch of porosity that make the whole thing useless. At least with steel this way I know I won't have that to fear.
I tend to group my set ups together, so while the mill is in horizontal configuration I'll cut these gears and then try to get that 127 index wheel done before going back to vertical to cut some dovetails.

Michael

Anorak Bob
19th August 2012, 11:50 PM
That's a neat job youv'e done there Michael. Clever improvisation.:2tsup:

BT

Bryan
20th August 2012, 09:31 PM
Outstanding. Most of us (including me) would take the soft option and find the money for a chunk of material. As I said to Michael when I saw him working on it he is a man of remarkable focus and determination. One question though Michael: Do you plan to stress-relieve it at all?

Michael G
20th August 2012, 10:48 PM
Wasn't planning on stress relieving. I suspect that there is a minor amount of stress in there but with small welds and trying to apply the heat in a symmetrical fashion I don't think I'll get much movement. One of the things about this method is that if you damage a tooth or two you can cut that segment out, weld in another one and recut. I have done that and even cutting a segment out doesn't dish things or make them twist, so I think the plan is basically sound.
Off hand I can't recall the stress relieving temperature for steel (400/500 degrees C?), but although I might get the 100t blank in my H/T oven, the 127t blank certainly won't fit. If I'm too cheap to even buy a large piece of steel, you can imagine my reaction to paying someone to heating it up and then letting it cool down.
An unintended consequence of having a day job is that it may be next weekend or the weekend after before I get to touch the blanks again so there will be time for them to settle, especially as we are getting low night time temperatures at the moment.

Michael

shedhappens
20th August 2012, 11:31 PM
Good stuff Micheal, one of the great things about steel is you can cut it, bend it, forge it and glue it back together with more hot steel.

Try that with wood :D

Grahame Collins
20th August 2012, 11:49 PM
What about using a weight of appropriate dimensions from a weight lifting kit .
The weights can be bought as singles.

I have even seen them at Kmart.Cost was under $15, for about 200mm diameter, I recall. Or maybe recycle center.

Grahame

Stustoys
20th August 2012, 11:52 PM
Nicely done Micheal.
If you were worried about stress relieving you could drop it in a fire and leave it there while the fire dies and cools.

Try that with wood :D
They call it MDF :D

Stuart

Michael G
21st August 2012, 08:00 AM
Grahame, a weight might work but besides concerns with finding porosity the finished gears are 16mm thick with a 1" bore. In this case I'd have to sleeve the hole in the centre as well as removing a good proportion of material. All possible but time consuming (and we all love machining CI right?). The end result would be heavier too as I wouldn't reduce the centre portion down to 5mm. I might try that with a smaller gear one day.

Shed & Stuart, Where do you think the initial idea came from? This is based on the principle used to make up wooden wheels, including gears for water driven mills. Even when castings were used large wheels were sometimes made of segments (small castings) bolted together. I've just adapted to use different materials and joining methods.

Michael