PDA

View Full Version : Flexible magnetic base

morrisman
20th August 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi

I've seen a few of you chaps using these for dial indicators .The arm is a flexible any which way device .

I've been looking but I don't seem to find any .... Does CTC carry them ?

Mike

welder
20th August 2012, 08:32 PM
I have this. type I bought it at my local tool store cost $30 but I find the magnetic a-bit weak.

http://www.starrett.co.uk/images/precision/660r1.jpg

morrisman
20th August 2012, 08:44 PM
The type of thing I'm looking for has a segemented arm, like a worm . The same arrangement as the coolant flexible arms Mike

Anorak Bob
20th August 2012, 08:49 PM
The type of thing I'm looking for has a segemented arm, like a worm . The same arrangement as the coolant flexible arms Mike

Mike,

I have a Starrett flexible arm on a mag base. I don't use it because I bought a Noga.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/noga-indicator-base-134096/#post1305203

Bob

Machtool
20th August 2012, 08:53 PM
I bought one, a few years back, Real Mitutoyo, screaming deal on EBay. Tried it a few times. Don’t think I’ve touched it in two years. It works as it should, but its soggy as a noodle. I just can’t trust it.

Phil.

morrisman
20th August 2012, 09:37 PM
I wonder if these are the genuine thing , or a cheap copy , stuffed into the orange box.

NEW MITUTOYO MAGNETIC BASE 7010 FOR DIAL INDICATOR & GAUGES - GENUINE STAND | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-MITUTOYO-MAGNETIC-BASE-7010-DIAL-INDICATOR-GAUGES-GENUINE-STAND-/300734209219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item460527dcc3)

Machtool
20th August 2012, 09:48 PM
I wonder if these are the genuine thing , or a cheap copy , stuffed into the orange box.
I’m hoping someone here can answer that. Mitutoyo is my frequent type in Ebay search. And half the hits are for Indian vendors showing new stock.

Phil

Anorak Bob
20th August 2012, 10:50 PM
It works as it should, but its soggy as a noodle. I just can’t trust it.

Phil.

An apt description that sums up the Starrett as well.:no:

BT

Ueee
20th August 2012, 11:18 PM
An apt description that sums up the Starrett as well.:no:

BT

Post 70's anyway...
I hate my cheap "one knob" deluxe style base, it is just not rigid. Give me one like you linked to on ebay anyday Mike

Greg Q
21st August 2012, 08:39 PM
I had an inexpensive Noga copy with one knob that was useless. Real Nogas are great. So too are Etalon.

Greg

Ueee
21st August 2012, 08:48 PM
I had an inexpensive Noga copy with one knob that was useless. Real Nogas are great. So too are Etalon.

Greg

They also cost more than most dials.....207 : Interapid Magnetic Base (http://www.longislandindicator.com/p207.html)

Greg Q
21st August 2012, 09:04 PM
Wowee I had forgotten how dear they are. I bought mine from a Swiss ebay seller that used to move heaps of Interapid and Compac stuff. Both of mine had vacuum bases for using on granite, hence I was able to get them for about $50 ea. plus postage. I converted one of them with a good mag block for not much, considering.

Before you ask, I think he must have grown tired of taking a bath on the metrology stuff as he only seems to have swiss bank deposit boxes for sale these days.

Greg

Machtool
21st August 2012, 10:04 PM
I think he must have grown tired of taking a bath on the metrology stuff as he only seems to have swiss bank deposit boxes for sale these days.

Greg

Good to see you back from your death bed.

That would be Oliver. - Swiss Quality discount.

Swiss Quality Discount (http://www.swissqualitydiscount.com/)

He must have inherited all the imperial stock they have in Europe. And cant give away. But an Etalon mag base, you'd make luv to that.

Phil.

Greg Q
21st August 2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks Phil, but I still as rotten as something in Denmark. :?

Oliver is the guy alright. I've only ever checked his ebay store and hence missed his current metrology offerings. No auctions:( He wraps things very well too, and always includes a Swiss chocolate.

Still, his price of $150 for the vacuum based indicator stand is very good compared to Long Island Indicator's. His Wyler level prices are dirt cheap.

Greg

Stustoys
21st August 2012, 11:11 PM
vacuum based indicator stand

:think:Now I dont have one of those, sounds handy. I assume they work well?

I do on the other hand have a knock off flexible base. One of the things I bought thinking it would be handy one day. That day hasnt come yet but I cant imagine its going to be better than Phils Mit. I think its length would be a bad start.

Stuart

matthew_g
21st August 2012, 11:34 PM
I have a flexable gauge arm/stand with a mag base.
I can't fault it, it's not spongy and once locked in place
It won't move.
Have you guys tried adjusting the locking mechanism?
Off the top of my head I can't think of the brand but I
Will take a photo tomorrow and post it up. One thing
I can say is it's old.

Greg Q
22nd August 2012, 12:03 AM
:think:Now I dont have one of those, sounds handy. I assume they work well?

I do on the other hand have a knock off flexible base. One of the things I bought thinking it would be handy one day. That day hasnt come yet but I cant imagine its going to be better than Phils Mit. I think its length would be a bad start.

Stuart

Yeah, its not bad. Plus, the vacuum base has the same mounting thread as the mag bases so you can a Mits or other name brand mag and have the best of both worlds.

GQ

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 12:05 AM
I have a flexable gauge arm/stand with a mag base.
I can't fault it, it's not spongy and once locked in place
It won't move.
Have you guys tried adjusting the locking mechanism?
Off the top of my head I can't think of the brand but I
Will take a photo tomorrow and post it up. One thing
I can say is it's old.

Matthew,

I found that my Starrett snake arm required frequent adjustment to ensure rigid positioning. If a heavy dial indicator was attached, the flexible arm would have a tendancy to sag. The thing worked well enough with a piddly Last Word indicator or one of my Mitutoyo DTIs mounted but after the acquisition of the Noga, the Starrett along with a pair of Eclipse magnetic stands, resides at the back of the cupboard.

Bob.