PDA

View Full Version : Slideway Grinder Demonstration.

Machtool
20th August 2012, 09:39 PM
Gentlemen.

I’ve had the offer of having Marko demonstrate the slideway Grinder in action.

For those of you that don’t know, Marko was my cohort in the Melbourne Scraping Class events.

He has a 3.5 metre job under the grinder, and has offered up this Saturday 25th August as a possibility, because it’s a decent job, and you can see what it looks like under a 5 metre grinder.

Apologies about the short notice, but it’s not the sort of work you can predict in 2 – 3 months time. He has a job on the machine right now. And will be in spark out stage by Saturday.

Primarily of interest would be the 23 guys that have gone through the scraping classes. But not limited to them, but I don’t expect interstate guys to be flying in. It will be in & out in 2-3 hours. After which we might do a counter lunch, or Bakery out of Main Street.

And an early start, 8am or no later than 9.00 am. That’s the middle of the day for Marko, he starts early. (Like the middle of the night).

I’m reluctant to name the company and location publicly, as it’s on the site of a different company to mine. But let me say this. Its way out East of Melbourne, on Western Port Bay. Hastings would put you close enough.

We will do those details by P.M or email. I figure we can put 10 – 12 people through without pushing our luck too much.

Don’t get your hopes up just yet. I’ve got a lot on. But I’m happy to come down if there’s enough interest. Joe H is out all ready and Ray & Josh are still waltzing around Europe.

Once again, sorry about the short notice, but we can’t predict the work load on that machine.

If we can get 6 -8 absolutely confirmed attendees, I’ll make this happen.

There will be other opportunities, but they will always be on short notice. And 1 in 7 chance of them being on a Saturday. That’s just the way this job landed

Regards Phil.

RayG
20th August 2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Phil,

I wish I could be there.. Seeing first hand how to set up a job like that is a rare opportunity. I hope someone dusts off the Melbourne camera for the visit..

Regards
Ray

Abratool
20th August 2012, 09:59 PM
Phil
Thank you so much for the Invitation.
If I was a bit closer, I would surely be there.
Look forward to photos.
regards
Bruce
ps The Scraping Course has been invaluable. I have spent many hours scraping up a couple of Cast Iron Surface plates, since the course this year.
A few more hours was spent today, getting very close to finishing them.

Stustoys
20th August 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi Phil
I'm in.
Not sure yet if I can stay for lunch, depends how early we start, I'd think 11:30 will be about my limit.
Thanks to you and Marko

Stuart

Neil317
20th August 2012, 10:16 PM
G'day Phil,
Please count me in!
Thanks
Neil

Ropetangler
20th August 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the invitation Phil, but no can do from Tasie. Like Ray and Josh I wish I could be there, and I too hope that the camera, script writer and editing crew are given full rein. All the best to you, Marko and all the rest of the crew who get there if it all comes off. Regards,
Rob

Michael G
20th August 2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the offer, but the distance is a bit far to pop out for an hour or two. If Marko ever brings his rig to Adelaide though it might be different. (Might even donate a lathe bed for him to demonstrate on...) Michael

.RC.
21st August 2012, 07:58 AM
If Marko ever brings his rig to Adelaide though it might be different.

heh heh, the grinder probably weighs 15 tonnes+ :D

PDW
21st August 2012, 09:32 AM
Love to see it but also not possible. I've just got home after driving approx 6000 kms all up. Not going *anywhere* for a while.

PDW

Machtool
21st August 2012, 08:57 PM
I’ll confirm if this is happening tomorrow (Wednesday 22nd). I spoke with Marko this morning. It just occurred to us that we should ask permission of the factory owner. I don’t expect that to be a problem, we are all known to each other for a very long time.

Currently, there’s only a handful of us. I say stuff it, let’s do this any way. I’m sick of work, I’d luv a day out.

Currently I’m only hearing from guys that cant make it, I wasn’t expecting the interstate guys to down tools on 5 days notice for a 2 hour event. (Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink) If you happen to be in town at any stage in the future, with 6 hours to kill, let me know on the sly, and we can at least let you see it grinding fresh air. We could conjure up some thing.

It’s hard to predict when it will be working. 10 – 15 years ago, it would have been moving 60 hours a week. Now days it might be lucky to get turned on once a month. That’s just the way the machine tool industry is. There will be other opportunities, but always on short notice.

I’ll confirm we are good to go tomorrow, which we should be.
Christian G (True to form) has offered to car pool from the Western side of Melbourne – Newport. I’ll have one spare seat in my van Stu / Neal, your East of me. I’ll be passing by?

Primarily of interest would be the 23 guys that have gone through the scraping classes. But not limited to them
Don’t be afraid to speak up if you weren’t at one of the scraping classes. We have several members from Gippsland, you can get to Hastings quicker than I can.

Short and sweat. We get to look at a big antique machine, meet a few of the members face to face, and maybe throw down a pie, counter lunch or two pots.

Regards Phil.

harty69
21st August 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Phil
would love to come I think I have a bit of a grinding machine fetish at the moment i will see what i can wrangle with the war department and let you know

I do have item that needs grinding. although its only about 7ft long but if there looking for some business for the grinder wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more

cheers
Harty

Anorak Bob
21st August 2012, 11:05 PM
Hello Phil,

As luck would have it I'll be in Melbourne the weekend after spark out.:no: It would have been great to catch up with you blokes again for a laugh or two.

BT

Machtool
22nd August 2012, 12:39 AM
As luck would have it I'll be in Melbourne the weekend after spark out
That’s in the nudge nudge, wink wink category. If you want to see it, we could invent something. That’s what Marko & I do, pull rabbits out of our hat.

I’m working with 4 Korean Engineers, on an install, they want do the penguins, that’s even further East than where we are going. They are scheduled to be here 2 months, but I could work that in. I was hoping to show them the grinder, while they are in the area.

On the other hand, You, Ray, and Josh are touching down at the same time. I have family in Ray’s area, happy to drive you up or join in, as long as its on a weekend.

Regards Phil

simonl
22nd August 2012, 08:20 AM
Hi Phil,

As per the reply email. Count me in. Not sure if I will walk there or ride my bike :;

Simon

Machtool
22nd August 2012, 04:33 PM
Gentlemen

I can confirm we are good to go. We are welcome down there.

As well as the Grinder, they have a boat on the slip way. We are welcome to have a look at that, and all the other machines down there. So it won’t be a problem to fill in a few hours.

Rough location is Hastings. Contact me for the exact address. I say aim for 9.00 – 9.15am, this Saturday.

Currently there are only 5 of us: Neil, Stu, Christian, Simon & I. With the possibility of Peter Hart. So room for a few more.

Can someone please bring a camera.

Regards Phil.

machtool at bigpond.net.au

simonl
22nd August 2012, 04:51 PM
Should we organise a BBQ on the Hastings foreshore for afterwards?

I'm thinking pelican Park. They have undercover BBQ's there, and a playground!

Simon

Machtool
22nd August 2012, 05:57 PM
Should we organise a BBQ on the Hastings foreshore for afterwards? I just checked the weather, prediction is dry, but only 13C.

I'm not fussed either way. There's only going to be a hand full of us. BBQ, or a counter lunch, or Pies off main street.

I do have a stash of catering stuff left over from the classes. Paper plates, napkins etc. I could work some thing up. You missed out on the Bratwurst's as you weren't here on the Sunday. Some thing like that is dead simple. Snags, Onion, Bread, Mustard and a coleslaw. Life doesn't get any better than that.

Phil.

RayG
22nd August 2012, 07:28 PM
Wish I was there... don't forget to redeem the Melbourne camera from the hock shop...

Regards
Ray

Stustoys
22nd August 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Ray,
Its not the taking of the camera thats the issue. Its remembering to remove it from ones pocket and actually use it! Will try my best, maybe some one else could prod me with a pointy stick now and then?

Stuart

simonl
22nd August 2012, 08:26 PM
Ill bring a camera. AND i might even remember to charge it up beforehand!

Bryan
22nd August 2012, 10:50 PM
How about a movie?

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 10:57 PM
How about a movie?

A great idea.

Ueee
22nd August 2012, 11:02 PM
I'd happily take a movie.....if i was there and it was grinding the LeBlond's bed.....:D
Hope you all have a good one!

Neil317
22nd August 2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the offer of a ride, but I will make my own way down as I may need to leave early.
Neil

CGroves
23rd August 2012, 11:17 AM
I just checked the weather, prediction is dry, but only 13C.

I'm not fussed either way. There's only going to be a hand full of us. BBQ, or a counter lunch, or Pies off main street.

I do have a stash of catering stuff left over from the classes. Paper plates, napkins etc. I could work some thing up. You missed out on the Bratwurst's as you weren't here on the Sunday. Some thing like that is dead simple. Snags, Onion, Bread, Mustard and a coleslaw. Life doesn't get any better than that.

Phil.

At 13C I'm all for keeping things simple (and warm). Counter lunch or pies is OK for me.

Christian

.RC.
24th August 2012, 08:40 AM
Have fun tomorrow, wish I could be there..... Don't forget.... pics or it never happened... :D

harty69
24th August 2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Phil

negotiation's with the war department have gone well and will be able to make it tomorrow jayse will be coming as well if theres room
camera is charged and ready to go

cheers
harty

Machtool
24th August 2012, 03:13 PM
negotiation's with the war department have gone well and will be able to make it tomorrow jayse will be coming as well if theres room

G'day Pete.

Yes that's fine, that makes 7 of us. Are you guys driving or flying? If your driving you better get to bed soon :D

To every one, if we can gather out the front, then all go in as one group. If you are running terribly late, call me. 0412 555 326

Regards Phil.

Anorak Bob
24th August 2012, 03:25 PM
Hi Phil

camera is charged and ready to go

cheers
harty

Now we know there will be some photographic coverage of the event. I was concerned as to whether the loan camera, the Melbourne, would actually make it there. Even if it did show up, it would then need to be used, something we seldom see evidence of.:no:

Ha ha
BT

simonl
25th August 2012, 07:43 AM
Morning all. Unfortunately a change of plans for me, I won't be able to make it today as I'm now working.

Have a great day to everyone. Say hello to Marko.

Simon

.RC.
25th August 2012, 06:19 PM
Successful day?

Steamwhisperer
25th August 2012, 06:37 PM
Developing the film????

Stustoys
25th August 2012, 06:50 PM
One Melbourne, just to give you guys a taste. :D
There will be more when the Horsham boys get home.

Great day.

Thanks again to Marko and Phil.

Stuart

Jayson
25th August 2012, 09:10 PM
Another big thanks to Marko and Phil.
We had a great time once again.

The film is being processed at the moment....

Jayson.

harty69
25th August 2012, 09:22 PM
thanks to Marko Phil and the boys from the engineering shop
fantastic morning
here is a video starring Tom Cruz Played by Marko the Great
Billeter grinder - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_kQBZgvjyU)

more pics to follow once i find some that are sharp

cheers
Harty

harty69
25th August 2012, 09:31 PM
Grinder pic's

harty69
25th August 2012, 09:37 PM
other really cool stuff that was there

harty69
25th August 2012, 09:41 PM
more other really cool stuff that was there

cheers
Harty

Ueee
25th August 2012, 09:43 PM
Looks like fun!
Out of interest what is the bed being ground from? 3.5m looks tiny under that grinder:o
Nice big mill too, would the bed have been milled first then ground to finish, or can the grinder remove enough just to grind (i guess that depends on how much needs to be removed)

.RC.
25th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the pics and vid... What wheel type is used? Looks like Borazon or something like that..

welder
25th August 2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the Photos. That Grinder looks like a nice bit of kit makes the 3.5 meter bed look small.

simonl
25th August 2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the pics and video guys. I wish I could have been there. Maybe another time?

Did you guys end up having lunch in Hastings?

Simon

Bryan
25th August 2012, 10:41 PM
+1 thanks. :)

So am I to understand that Marko moves that grinder around? :?

Jayson
25th August 2012, 11:04 PM
He sure does... and with ease most of the time, there are handles and leavers on it that move it around in all directions :wink:

To be more helpful Bryan, the grinder is firmly planted and the work is bought to its location

Another view of the grinder running

Billeter Grinder - YouTube

Some of the sounds are coming from other work going on behind me not the grinder.

RayG
26th August 2012, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the pics and vid... What wheel type is used? Looks like Borazon or something like that..

Thanks for the pictures guys, I wish I was there... as RC asked, what sort of wheel is that? I was thinking cbn? maybe?

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
26th August 2012, 01:01 AM
Fantastic pics as usual Pete. Now I am seething, seething I tell you. I just couldn't get the time off work. The boss is putting in the hard yards as it is without having an extra day to do.

Phil

Stustoys
26th August 2012, 01:26 AM
Hi Ray,
Yes I believe it was CBN
Couple of pictures of the 60+ year old ways.
The grinding head(30hp?)that doesnt get used(but makes a great counter weight)
And an interesting lighting effect.

Stuart

.RC.
26th August 2012, 09:03 AM
Hi Ray,
Yes I believe it was CBN
Couple of pictures of the 60+ year old ways.
The grinding head(30hp?)that doesnt get used(but makes a great counter weight)
And an interesting lighting effect.

Stuart

I listened to the first vid posted and I hear Marko say it was Borazon, and it expands as the cut proceeds...

Quite surprised at the speed of the grinding... Easy to see now why slideway grinding costs so much.. It is not like surface grinding with flood coolant taking off 0.02mm a pass @ 10m/minute

BTW, what is the part being ground off? Looks to be a saddle of a very large horizontal borer or something. As it has the ways on top and also what appears to be cross ways underneath..

Anorak Bob
26th August 2012, 09:25 AM
Thank you for the photos and videos Peter and Jayson.

Stuart appears to be having trouble with the loan camera, just as well you blokes were there! Wish I'd been there too.

BT

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/220978d1345890954t-slideway-grinder-demonstration-dsc_1200-900.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/220978d1345890954-slideway-grinder-demonstration-dsc_1200-900.jpg)

Bryan
26th August 2012, 09:39 AM
To be more helpful Bryan, the grinder is firmly planted and the work is bought to its location

Yes that seems a much more sensible arrangement. Don't know how I got the wrong idea.

.RC.
26th August 2012, 10:57 AM
Is it OK to link to those vids on another forum?

harty69
26th August 2012, 11:00 AM
Fine by me

Cheers harty

Stustoys
26th August 2012, 11:27 AM
Hi RC,
At other times Marko talked about "bits of diamond" but I think he just meant bits of what ever it is that comes off CBN wheels............ CBN I guess?
Remember this was the final stages for grinding. I dont know how much harder he goes at the start. Heat is a big issue.

I think a mill was mentioned but I was having trouble with the Melbourner so maybe misstaken.:wink:

Stuart

Pay special attention to the hold down clamps.

Jayson
26th August 2012, 07:33 PM
Posting a link to the video is fine by me also.

Regards,

Jayson.

Machtool
26th August 2012, 08:09 PM
Is it OK to link to those vids on another forum?

Let me check on that tomorrow. I didn't ask them about camera and filming.

Please don't pass those pictures of work in progress around. The stair way thingy, Stu is standing in front of. That's probably confidential. They are fine here, where we all know each other, and you have to be a member to see the pics.

The machines are fine. Most of it is on their web site any way.

Phil

Machtool
26th August 2012, 08:14 PM
BTW, what is the part being ground off?
Its off a large Hartford Vertical Machining Centre. That's the X - Y saddle. The side he is grinding is for the table. The under side is original Turcite, that's in fair condition. It will get a tickle by hand, blueing in to the ways on the machine base, when it gets back to Adelaide.

Phil.

Machtool
26th August 2012, 08:39 PM
Did you guys end up having lunch in Hastings?

I dont think so, we got away just before noon, Stu & I had such a good run getting down there, we got into town about 8.15. We slipped into town and found the bakery before hand.

Because you are just around the corner, I'll let you know when he has something on, you can work it out between you and Marko.

Phil.

simonl
26th August 2012, 08:58 PM
I dont think so, we got away just before noon, Stu & I had such a good run getting down there, we got into town about 8.15. We slipped into town and found the bakery before hand.

Because you are just around the corner, I'll let you know when he has something on, you can work it out between you and Marko.

Phil.

That would be very much appreciated Phil. I'm keen as mustard to have a look at some of the stuff that Marko does.

Cheers,

Simon

Log
26th August 2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks for letting us visit via the pics and video's:2tsup:. Great stuff.

Melbourne again!, all the good stuff's in Melbourne:rolleyes::D, well perhaps except the weather, so I've heard:D

Cheers.

RayG
27th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks again for the video's and pictures...

I've been wondering, was there any discussion on how to go about the machine survery and job setup for something like that...

I'm thinking about how to set up for the surface grinding of the T&C grinder table in the back of my mind..

Do you just establish a datum line from the unworn part of the ways, or do you somehow start from scratch?

Regards
Ray

Stustoys
27th August 2012, 10:40 PM
I've been wondering, was there any discussion on how to go about the machine survery
Hi Ray,
"I think" While a survey was done, for this part Marko is grinding it parallel to the Y ways(which are in pretty good nick).

Stuart