PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountains Woodturning Club?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2012, 11:33 PM
Well, it looks like Skews_Gal and I have finally found somewhere to place our shed; in Katoomba. (The daily commute into Sydney is gonna be a killer but with the National Park being literally three steps from our back door, well... worth it! :D)

Anyways, while showing the Gal the sights - 3 Sisters - I noticed a woodturning display in the local Tourist Booth, along with a badge for the Blue Mountain's Woodturning Club. Of course this immediately piqued my interest. :rolleyes:

Anyone here a member? I haven't googled it yet (lack of wifi time... gotta find another McDonalds 'cos this lot are looking at me strangely. I wonder if it's the tower of empty coffee cups? :- ) but I'm curious about location, meeting times, fees, etc.

Uhoh... gotta run. There's a Maccas employee approaching with mop in hand and he looks like he means business... :oo:

Pat
22nd August 2012, 05:26 AM
Blue Mountains Woodturners Inc (http://www.bluemtnswoodturners.org.au/)

and

Membership or general enquiries
[email protected] ([email protected])

([email protected])

jchappo
22nd August 2012, 09:06 AM
Hi Skew,
As Pat kindly pointed out, all the info can be found on the club's website.
We meet at 10 am on the first Saturday of each month at The Blue Mountains Woodcraft Centre, Calver Avenue, Mt. Riverview.
There is usually a demonstration turner until midday, followed by a short break for lunch.
After lunch we have Show & Tell, followed by the monthly business meeting.
The centre is also open each Thursday from 9 am for members to get together and do their own thing. The workshop is equipped with several lathes and a 17" bandsaw. Just bring your own tools.
Fees are $30 per year. September's meeting also includes the AGM, so pay your fees before the meeting and we might make you president :D:D

Waldo
22nd August 2012, 10:13 AM
G'day Mate,

If you can't scare off a pimply 15 year old kid, then you must have gone soft. Just tell him to put the mop and bucket back down and you'd like another coffee please. :rolleyes:

hughie
22nd August 2012, 10:34 AM
[Well, it looks like Skews_Gal and I have finally found somewhere to place our shed; in Katoomba. (The daily commute into Sydney is gonna be a killer but with the National Park being literally three steps from our back door, well... worth it! :D)

Welcome to NSW, Yep the trip to Sydney will be a killer. If you can swing to go by train it'll be way better.

Beiing in Katoomba your not so far from a good supplier of burls. :2tsup:

...might need a muffler on the chainsaw. :D

wheelinround
22nd August 2012, 10:45 AM
Skew only one Macca's in Blue Mnts and thats way down the slope. From there its just a short walk to Blue Mnts Turners. If you put your skates on or skate board your close enough to the Ornamental Turners also.

Penrith Show is on 25th & 26th (http://familyfunsydney.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/penrith-show-25th-26th-of-august-2012.html) both clubs will be there demonstrating and of course the show has a wood section I believe a good number of entries this year.:2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
22nd August 2012, 10:57 AM
....Uhoh... gotta run. There's a Maccas employee approaching with mop in hand and he looks like he means business...

You have enter the Twlight Zone.

:U

Allan at Wallan
22nd August 2012, 05:29 PM
Warning to the Blue Mountains Club ....

Be aware, be very aware ... Skew is coming.:doh:

Be sure not to leave any drawing pins on the floor
because we know he does not like to wear shoes.

Good luck to you both and hope it works out well for you.:D

Allan

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th September 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks, fellas! :)

I'm gonna have to try and wander down there soonish. Haven't had much shed time lately; been too busy laying in ambush near the veggie patch for damned wallabies :(( and trying to sneak back into Maccas for some 'net access.

Also discovered - whilst setting up the first of the lathes - that I left all my spanners, screwdrivers & allen keys in storage in Melbourne. :doh: Still, it's all together (sort of) and works fine so long as I don't apply any power or widely out-of-balance blanks. (Like firewood.) Even so, our firewood pile has grown mysteriously smaller from my attempts to find the exception to the rule. :innocent:

(I really gotta look into getting phone & cable to the house... and electrifying the chook wire around the veggies. Anyone know whether wallabies would be deterred more by voltage or amperage? What about Maccas employees?)

Waldo
9th September 2012, 04:59 PM
What about Maccas employees?)

As they approach you quickly disperse slices of gerkin off your burger onto the floor in front of them - get it right and they should go head over heels. :2tsup: