PDA

View Full Version : Are these of use to anyone? Old lathe tools

vincentvega
22nd August 2012, 09:26 AM
I can't see me ever owning a lathe so i'm hoping I can move these on to someone who can use them.

To those in the know: are they useful? Are they worth anything?

Thanks

pipeclay
22nd August 2012, 09:53 AM
Not sure about the worth of the model,probably depend if its made up or in pieces.
The tool steel and carbide tools would be of interest to people.
You would need to give the shank sizes so that buyers would know if it will fit there machine.
You might even consider breaking them up into groups to suit there shank size.
You may even want to break it up again into carbide and hss.
There is over 50 pieces of tooling,you could expect somewhere from $25 to $75.
Most would appear to be profile tools so this may appeal to buyers as well.

nadroj
22nd August 2012, 09:57 AM
Well the box looks nice!
Just kidding. The tools are potentially useful, looks like some have lots of life left in them, although many are ground down so much they wouldn't be much use.
Don't chuck them out though - someone should get them.

Jordan

nosnow
22nd August 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Vincentvega

Were in brissie are you i would be interested in looking at them
Cheers Rod

Bryan
22nd August 2012, 12:35 PM
For sure the tool bits are useful. Give it away if you want, but twenty bucks plus postage would still be a good deal I reckon.

19brendan81
23rd August 2012, 01:25 PM
I would bet you will get way more than $20 if you list them in small groups on ebay. They look to be mainly 3/4 inch square stick of HSS to me and the modern chinese equivalent goes for $10 a stick on ebay. Given the vintage of this stuff I would bet its either english or american HSS which will appeal to certain buyers who believe this stuff is of superior quality to the modern offering.

vincentvega
24th August 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. The tools have been sold to an old colleague who found them through the forum.

damian
28th August 2012, 02:10 PM
I realise these are gone but for future reference:

Tools that old aren't necessarily HSS, they could be tool steel. Much softer, lasts not nearly as long.

You can't REALLY tell without examining them.