PDA

View Full Version : Not a Centricator but.....

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 11:44 AM
A Schwieterman Center Finder. From the same seller as my Mini-Sine bar. I don't have any great expectations for this one. It will be interesting to see how it performs when it arrives from the land of plenty. Seller's snapshots.

BT

welder
22nd August 2012, 12:04 PM
:o That looks nice I wonder how well it will perform.

Greg Q
22nd August 2012, 02:09 PM
Now that is a gizmo! Well done finding it and being sufficiently heartened by mechanical curiosities to buy it.

Greg

Stustoys
22nd August 2012, 03:17 PM
Nice find BT, you must only look under the nicest rocks :D
For the vertically challenged amongst us that could come in handy. Looks like its a little shorter than even the old style Centricator. Even looks DIYable.

Stuart

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 03:45 PM
Stu,

I will obviously subject it to a to a thorough dissection along with a photographic record of the procedure if and when it arrives. There was another one on Ebay ( sold this morning for $27 US ) that showed the maker of the dial indicator as being Federal. Their products are plentiful should a replacement be required.

Here are some photos of the 27 dollar version. It looks a bit beaterish.:no: They do appear pretty simple in construction. I'm now wondering about the conical point included with the one I'm waiting on.

BT

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 03:55 PM
Now that is a gizmo! Well done finding it and being sufficiently heartened by mechanical curiosities to buy it.

Greg

Talking about mechanical curiosites Greg, I often lament not bidding on this. I would have been happy enough just to gaze upon it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/anemometer-anyone-146472/#post1428783

Bob.

Stustoys
22nd August 2012, 04:42 PM
Well you just cost me $55 BT, I hope you're happy ;)

Stuart

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 05:02 PM
Well you just cost me $55 BT, I hope you're happy ;)

Stuart

What's this Stu, half a story?:doh: What did you spend the dough on?

Stustoys
22nd August 2012, 08:17 PM
Something that looks a lot like this.
Looks like I have to supply my own handle though

Stuart

Anorak Bob
22nd August 2012, 09:51 PM
Something that looks a lot like this.
Looks like I have to supply my own handle though

Stuart

OK. I'll accept responsibility.:U

Stustoys
22nd August 2012, 10:08 PM
I'll make a space for it next to my Planimeter :p
I like the dial, I wonder if they made indicators?

Anorak Bob
17th September 2012, 07:38 PM
I dismantled the Schwieterman for Stuart and anyone else who may be interested. Stuart suggested that a replica might be a nice DIY project. :U

Sourcing a suitable indicator could be tricky. The Federal made indicator has the spindle sprung in reverse. It retracts in towards the body. Long Island Indicator Service reckon that Federal indicators are junk. I have had a few and it's not the way I would describe them. I have a 1952 Federal catalogue. The indicators illustrated look pretty similar to that used on the center finder. I reckon the device harks from the 40 - 50's.

BT

Stustoys
17th September 2012, 10:10 PM
Hi BT,
Thanks for the pictures. Seems its a more tricky than it first appeared. I guess I shouldnt be surprised or we would see more DIY ones about. I'll have a think about it and add it to the list ;)

Stuart